West Cornwall (WR) & weather related seal pics

Graham Easterling

Nov 17, 2020, 12:06:48 PM11/17/20
to Weather and Climate
A windy day today, generally cloudy, occasionally damp, especially this morning.

Minimum 12.3C, maximum 14.1C, though the minimum since midnight is 13.3C. 0.3mm of rain the 24 hours ending 09:00 today, nothing measurable since.

The recent quite stormy sea conditions mean the seals have headed for shelter from the W-SW wind & swell. There is a spot just east of Godrevy lighthouse where I know they congregate. So I braved a cliff top F6 damp SW wind, and it was well worth it. >100 seals in just 1 small cove.

IMG_1010sm.jpg

Zooming in to 1 section of the beach.

IMG_1011sm.jpg

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Nov 19, 2020, 5:38:03 AM11/19/20
to Weather and Climate
This is completely (OT) so unless you like seals, please read no more.

With the recent rough seas there are a very large number of seal pups at the Cornish Seal Sanctuary at nearby Gweek. One was rescued from Sennen yesterday.

WIth the loss of income due to COVID the Seal Sanctuary is short of cash, although why a windblown seal sanctuary should have to close when it's quite OK to go around M&S or a garden centre is anyone's guess. So https://www.facebook.com/officialcornishsealsanctuary/

Me having & a seal rescue team back in 2000, just below the old holiday let  ('Turnstone' in Mousehole) They have sharp teeth (the seals that is) it was cold, & there were 2 girls from the sanctuary not in the pic. The 2 in the centre were staying in Turnstone. I really miss running the cottage, met some great people.

2000 SealRescuers (2).jpg

2000 SealRescuers (4).jpg

Graham