SW England MetO forecast

Graham Easterling

Jul 4, 2023, 10:20:14 AM7/4/23
to Weather and Climate
This has been the forecast most of the day - still is

Any rain clearing eastwards, with showers once again developing from midday, perhaps heavy at times. Sunny spells in between and turning breezy through the afternoon, particularly around coasts and over hills. Temperatures around average. Maximum temperature 21 °C.!

Rain radar 15:05 SW England is there, somewhere.
2023-07-04 15_15_44-Capture.png
As for temperature, 15:00 temperatures across SW England
14C Newquay, Camborne, Culdrose, Plymouth, Exeter
13C Scilly & Cardinham
12C Liscombe
It's a long, long time since we've seen afternoon temperatures this low.

It's also near calm.

All in all I think the forecast should have been updated many hours ago, or perhaps somebody forgot to plug in the supercomputer!

Graham
Penzance

Len

Jul 4, 2023, 6:09:17 PM7/4/23
to Weather and Climate
Rain forecast quite good here.
Cut the grass this morning.
As soon as I got in at midday it stated to rain.
Had 10.2 mm to 18:00

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Jul 5, 2023, 4:42:15 AM7/5/23
to Weather and Climate
Wat happened to the sunny spells, or the afternoon breeze? How many hours long does it have to be to stop being called a shower?
Not quite 21C either, Plymouth was 14C mid afternoon.

GFS had shown a cold wet afternoon on a few runs, the only model the really seemed to pick up on it a few days ahead.

Graham

Len W

Jul 5, 2023, 12:12:09 PM7/5/23
to Weather and Climate
It was interesting that on the telly forecsats the day before it was made clear that the south of the country would be in for pesistent rain in the afternoon and Wimbledon would suffer.
The online hourly data did not make it that persistent although I seem to remember 80% probability for some hours.
So a heads up was given for afternoon rain. So I was happy to get my gardening done in the morning.
Of course I was also watching the radar.
The temperature forecast was poor though with quite a drop.
Not surprising considering the rain and wind direction.

Len
Wembury