Will the name calling continue this Autumn?

xmetman

Aug 5, 2016, 10:59:03 AM8/5/16
to Weather and Climate

On the Met Office named storms web page there is a section for frequently asked questions:

Will the storm naming continue next year?

A The naming of wind storms for the 2015/16 Autumn and Winter is a pilot project between the Met Office and Met Éireann. Together we will review the success of the project against its objective of raising awareness of severe weather before it hits so everyone can keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather.

They've either made their deliberations or about to make them very shortly. At the end of the winter I would have bet, that the Met Office would have abandoned the pilot, one of the main reasons for this being that they didn't like being forced into naming a storm just because of the impacts it would have in Eire, now I'm not so sure, but it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.

A good number of last seasons storms in my opinion brushed up against NW of Scotland or Ireland, bringing coastal gales of course especially in the west and north, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a British autumn or winter. As you may know I've been a little hostile of the whole idea as its worked at the moment as you may gather from some of my comments to the Met Office's official blog. I wished now that I hadn't deleted all the analysis I wrote for my old blog on each of the individual named storms A-K.

Richard Dixon

Aug 5, 2016, 1:02:38 PM8/5/16
to Weather and Climate
My stance is that it's farce. If a storm hits the UK and Scandinavia it will end up having 3 names. Just name each and every one. By naming only certain ones there's an expectation around impact. One a few non-storms have hit, no-one listens which is my impression of what happened last winter. Either name them all or name none at all.

If we're going to name them all get a European naming consortium to be PC and keep every country happy, or just stick with DWD given they've been doing it for yonks!

Richard

Joe

Aug 5, 2016, 1:16:19 PM8/5/16
to Weather and Climate
Ah, you're only jealous because we got the good names!!!

To be honest, it caused some confusion here too as some thought these names storms were ex-hurricanes.

Joe

Len Wood

Aug 5, 2016, 2:31:03 PM8/5/16
to Weather and Climate
"If we're going to name them all get a European naming consortium to be PC and keep every country happy,"

But 51% of those that voted did not want to sit round any table with other Europeans.

😕

Len
Wembury

Richard Dixon

Aug 7, 2016, 5:09:43 AM8/7/16
to Weather and Climate
On Friday, 5 August 2016 19:31:03 UTC+1, Len Wood wrote:
"If we're going to name them all get a European naming consortium to be PC and keep every country happy,"

But 51% of those that voted did not want to sit round any table with other Europeans.

😕

I had a feeling this might lead to Brexit rearing its contentious head !

Richard

Paul Garvey

Aug 8, 2016, 8:00:08 AM8/8/16
to Weather and Climate