West Cornwall - Temperature records broken.

Graham Easterling

Aug 11, 2022, 10:50:32 AM8/11/22
to Weather and Climate
We may not be in the heat alert area (which I've already expressed my surprise as it's easterly drift) but >30C in much of Cornwall, and here in the far south west records have fallen. Hotter down here in 'Penwith' than in July and comparable with the hottest spots much of the day. In fact it's remarkable how little, if any, difference being on the coast has made.

Lands End airport >30C. I understand that the 1st time 30C was recorded there was in July this year, and now it's reached again!

Even more remarkable John Chappell's site near Land's End reached 32.0C @  14:24, easily a new record. In the hot Summer of 2006 he didn't get above 28C! John said he was amazed so checked against 2 car thermometers parked in the shade, and they both agreed to within 0.5C. Newquay reached 31C, so it'll be interesting to see what Bude reaches this time.

Back here in Penzance there's been a F2-3 sea breeze virtually all day, it still reached 29.8C during a brief lull, with potential for it to get hotter later this afternoon. That's a new record for my site (since 1991) and also beats what I think was the official record of 29.7C. It is also 1.2C higher than the 28.6C reached in July.

Graham
Penzance