The windy June of 1938

xmetman

Jun 14, 2018, 9:59:19 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate

Just to put the strong winds of today into some kind of context I did a bit of digging around and found the Monthly Weather Report from June 1938. These archives are truly a wonderful resource, because without them there would be nowhere else to go to find information about weather from the past, and it turns out that June 1938 was a very windy indeed across the UK, with the Lizard and Calshot recording hourly means of 45 and 53 knots early in the month. The highest I saw reported by a low level station for Hector was the almost 45 knots at Mace Head at 0300 UTC, but that of course was only a 10 minute mean.

(Courtesy of the Met Office Library)

The Met Mag of July 1938 also had an article about the gales that month.

It seems that the Met Office liked their double frontal structure's 80 years ago.

Jack Harrison

Jun 14, 2018, 2:57:07 PM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate
It is remarkable how little the presentation of charts has changed in 80 years.

I can't quite remember that windy day - I was born six months later.

One notable feature on that chart is just how cold it was in west Wales : 45F  (= 7C)

Jack