Hottest July day on record for the UK at Cambridge

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 7:50:55 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate

2019-07-26_124311.jpg

I was hoping that if a new record was to be broken yesterday it wouldn't be at Heathrow or an inner city site, either way though there's a story in it.

I'm not sure exactly which site recorded the 38.1°C in Cambridge yesterday, but we do know thanks to the Met Office that it occurred at 1537 BST, although I'm not sure I would describe Cambridge as being in southern England, but then again you couldn't say it's strictly in the Midlands or East Anglia either.

The location the 38.1°C occurred may have been here at the Cambridge, Botanic Gardens:

2019-07-26_120838.jpg

Or it may be here at the NIAB site just outside the City:

2019-07-26_120610.jpg

The location of the enclosure (if I've identified them correctly) at both sites is certainly better than at Heathrow, but that's not too difficult to achieve. Neither site, especially the one at the Botanic Gardens, is perfect but I suppose that's just how things are these days, and reflects how our villages, towns and cities are forever expanding and joining up.

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 8:06:29 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
I now realise that the answer to my question of which site was in the title of Colin's post from yesterday!

Paul Knightley

Jul 26, 2019, 8:09:27 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
The Botanical Gardens has, allegedly, recorded 38.7C - but no confirmation from the UKMO as yet.

Colin Youngs

Jul 26, 2019, 8:12:06 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
"Or it may be here at the NIAB site just outside the City"

38.1°C in Cambridge which I listed as the hottest place in my summary was at the NIAB site.  Information kindly sent to me by Julian Mayes.

NIAB: National Institute of Agricultural Botany

Colin Youngs
Brussels

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 10:32:18 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Colin & Julian - I should spend more time reading them as writing them.