Central Atlantic cools a little

xmetman

Sep 21, 2016, 4:55:51 AM9/21/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

The central Atlantic ocean has cooled a little over the last month, and the cold pool that's been there for what must be a couple of years now has become a little better organised. There are still plenty of pockets of very warm water pulsing south of Newfoundland from the east coast of America, and a noticeable warming of the North sea, probably brought about by the recent exceptional warm start to September in central Europe. The other thing that I noticed was that the warm anomalies of +2 to +3 have now gone from the Davis Straits and the Labrador sea, but the warm anomalous area to the west of Portugal have persisted. Here are two charts of sea surface temperature [SST] anomalies from the last month for comparison. I don't know what this means for the coming autumn and winter in western Europe, possible another progressive and occasionally stormy affair like last year (compare with last months).