Southwest - northeast split

xmetman

Oct 21, 2016, 5:29:09 AM10/21/16
to Weather and Climate

The lovely October continues down in the SW of England, not that you'd notice it if you listen to Matt Taylor and the other BBC forecasters.
Despite the fog in the valleys the sun is out and all that there is up there at the moment is an okta or two of cirrus.
I could add the coastline but there's not a lot of point because the rest of the UK is fairly cloudy.

xmetman

Oct 21, 2016, 9:19:58 AM10/21/16
to Weather and Climate
It's about time Bob Crampton (the weather presenter on the ITV) retired. On the 2PM broadcast he was talking about "rather a lot of cloud this afternoon" which is completely wrong.

The pessimistic maximum temperature he gave for the whole region of 13°C has already been exceeded (15.5°C) in mid-Devon, he gave the opposite impression in his forecast to what I've found this Friday to be like, and that is another absolutely glorious October day.

They may have updated the graphics engine on the ITV, but most of the presenters are pretty dreadful and getting away with blue murder - are they never assessed in anyway?

Before presenting a weather forecast my advice to him would be:-

  1. Have a look at the latest visible satellite image for the area that you are forecasting for.
  2. Have a look at the latest weather radar for any rain and the distribution and intensity of the rain.
  3. Have a look at the NWP and see what will change in the next 24 hours..
  4. Look at the latest observations, taking note of the temperature, wind speed and weather in the area that you are forecasting for.
  5. Do you flies up and straighten your tie

.