The long white cloud (NOT New Zealand) PICTURES

Jack Harrison

Mar 28, 2019, 2:23:54 PM3/28/19
to Weather and Climate

Glider pilots made use of conditions like this (indeed, that very cloud) today 28th with one describing it as a “super wave day”.  Nobody went above about 10,000 feet (limit without oxygen).

19-03-28-040-Lochindorbr.jpg

Many non-pilots might not recognize that as a mountain wave cloud but it’s a classic.  The wind is towards the cloud which is roughly at right angles to the wind direction.  The distant heather fire is unconnected.

Another (deliberate) grouse moor fire gave me some amusement.

19-03-28-142-Lochindorbr.jpg

I hesitated before the bend but then proceeded cautiously.  The burning was to the left of the road.
I think the term is “back burn” as the fire was migrating slowly into quite a brisk wind.

19-03-28-185-Lochindorbr.jpg

Jack