Thunderstorms

Len W

Sep 8, 2021, 4:59:09 AM9/8/21
to Weather and Climate
Thunder and flashes with tropical rain crazy

Graham Easterling

Sep 8, 2021, 6:35:08 AM9/8/21
to Weather and Climate
I was watching it head for you. Very little rain here, around 1mm & it's cleared now.

Sky looked good yesterday evening, but no rain materialised.

2021-09-07 19_29_29-Capture.png

Earlier in the day at the Jubilee Pool - just see the 1st hints at frontal cloud. Lovely & quiet for a swim now the schools are back. Water temperature at around 19C was lower than the 20-21C just off the Battery Rocks, immediately outside the pool, the previous day, when the onshore wind brought in a pool of warm water..

JPSept21 (1).jpg

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Sep 8, 2021, 4:01:07 PM9/8/21
to Weather and Climate
We had a direct hit from the line of deep convection and storms from the south between 8 and 10 BST.
Quite a few lightning strikes nearby and ear piercing thunder. Caused a brief power outage and loss of internet.
The rain came down in stair rods to give a total of 40.8 mm. (Monthly average for Sep 67.4 mm)
Not a Sep. record for me in Wembury though as we had 49.2 mm on 3rd Sep 2017.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon

Graham Easterling

Sep 9, 2021, 4:43:18 AM9/9/21
to Weather and Climate
We've had showery bursts of rain overnight, 9.5mm in the last 24 hours.

Another very mild night, minimum 17.3C. Currently near 18C & fog.

Muggy!

2021-09-09 09_26_30-Capture.png

Not an Emmet in sight! (Emmet, Cornish for ant, used for holidaymakers because they come in the summer and run away when it rains.)  How true! The more traditional Cornish word for ant is actually moryonenn, the plural of which – moryon – is still used in the far west of Cornwall instead of emmet.

There endeth the Cornish lesson. Next, why do the English call broccoli cauliflower?. Why haven't the English got a word for teasy? I didn't realise these things until I my London years (which I enjoyed - unlike Wootton Bassett), when I realised people were confused. As for saying 'alright then' on passing a stranger, I nearly got arrested!

Still I'm drifting off the weather.

Graham
Penzance