Forecast & Warnings.

Graham Easterling

Sep 5, 2022, 6:52:18 AM9/5/22
to Weather and Climate
The upcoming thunderstorm warning excludes the whole of Cornwall.

Yet this is tomorrows forecast for Penzance

2022-09-05 11_49_44-Capture.png

More lightning symbols than just about anywhere in the warning area.

Sunny spells, dry & windy currently.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Sep 5, 2022, 7:59:50 AM9/5/22
to Weather and Climate
In contrast, no rain on the forecasts for Camborne or Penzance until late afternoon, and yet (moving north quite quickly at 12:50)

2022-09-05 12_58_58-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Freddie

Sep 5, 2022, 8:23:15 AM9/5/22
to Weather and Climate
The joys of automated output :(

Len

Sep 5, 2022, 8:36:24 AM9/5/22
to Weather and Climate
Indeed a foolish forecast given the radar rainfall data.
This at 1325 BST
Firefox_Screenshot_2022-09-05T12-33-32.172Z.png

Len

Graham Easterling

Sep 5, 2022, 11:58:47 AM9/5/22
to Weather and Climate
Tell me about it!

I had an appointment in Truro at 14:15. With all the white echoes I left in plenty of time. Just as well. I got to Camborne and had to pull off the bypass and park up for 10 minutes, as did others, the rain was so intense. It's decades (literally) since I had to do that. Thunder right overhead and the flashes were very bright, lovely forked lightning. Whilst in the car I checked the Camborne forecast - <5% chance of rain at 14:00.
Meanwhile at nearby Redruth, a house being struck by lightning

Anyway, more to come, 10 minutes leader carried on up to Truro, raining but not too bad. But then coming up to Treliske hospital another deluge so heavy the traffic came to a complete halt and the road turned into a river, more close thunder. Then, 15 minutes later the sun was out.

Certainly one of the more eventful journeys!

I know all the arguments about automated forecasts, but when this sort of thing happens they are positively dangerous in their own right.

Graham
Penzance