Hail, Snow etc - Warlingham

Tudor Hughes

Feb 24, 2022, 12:12:18 PM2/24/22
to Weather and Climate
Short shower at 1330 consisting of rain and "soft hail", sort of pellet-like bits about 5 mm across that clattered against the window.  What is the proper name for this stuff?
    About 2 hours later there was another brief shower that definitely contained snow or snow grains.  Temperature fell to 2°C but recovered quickly in both cases.
    A rather surprisingly cold airstream with 1000-500 mb thickness down to 522 dam.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey.  557 ft,170 m.

Len W

Feb 24, 2022, 3:16:13 PM2/24/22
to Weather and Climate
Maybe graupel, but some confusion because it is sometimes called soft hail or even snow pellets.
That is snowlakes covered in ice.
IMHO it is not that soft. Still makes a noise on my veluxes.

Len

Graham Easterling

Dec 12, 2022, 5:22:52 AM12/12/22
to Weather and Climate
I always think there's a gradual transition from well defined hail, to soft hail, where it's cloudy & a bit crumbly, to snow pellets. But that's just the way I see it. Soft hail, as Len says, is still noisy on the velux, snow pellets makes a quiet 'crunchy' noise, snow is silent.

-1.6C last night. 0.2C at 9am. Despite it reaching 6.9C yesterday, it remained very icy where the sun didn't reach, and the north facing gutter of the garage is still nearly full of soft and partially melted / refrozen snow pellets, from the previous night.

The SST is still near 11C, but the Jubilee pool is 5C. All change here by next weekend.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Dec 12, 2022, 5:26:42 AM12/12/22
to Weather and Climate
Sorry about replying to that, for some reason google groups showed it at the top,  so I thought it was new!

Still, is probably appropriate given the current conditions

Graham