Latest heatwave count

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 4:28:51 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate

Here's the latest heatwave count - today will probably be the last day for most sites I would think.

The zero marker in the Midlands is Bedford which the Met Office pulled the plug on yesterday.

It's a shame that Altnaharra is on the blink, because no doubt if it wasn't, that would also be showing a 3.

A lot of fuss about the warmest day in Edinburgh yesterday, when the heat has been just as strong and more consistent around the Moray firth.

2019-07-26_085556.jpg

Julian Mayes

Jul 26, 2019, 7:40:07 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
ukweatherworld have unearthed the WOW report from Cambridge Botanic Garden - the obvious one to check.    38.7C  ?  new national record if accepted. It was acceptable in the 1940s so it ought to be accepted now....

Julian

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 7:54:53 AM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
Great minds think alike!
I've been contemplating a blog (it's legal these days) about which site in Cambridge it was and decided to publish it on the forum instead.
The botanic gardens site has a massive building close by to the north and I would say the WMO temperature classification would be that good.
I don't read the ukweatherworld forum - maybe I should!

Jack Frost

Jul 26, 2019, 4:05:41 PM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
Can you have a heatwave lasting one day? Doesn't it have to be a few consecutive days to be a heatwave?

Liam
Pasadena, CA

xmetman

Jul 26, 2019, 5:32:38 PM7/26/19
to Weather and Climate
No according to the Met Office definition they have to last at least 3 days. That's why I've plotted those that have in red and those that haven't in green.