Car Thermometers

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2022, 7:11:52 AM8/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Cross-checking against other sources, my car thermometer seems to be remarkably accurate (Skoda Citigo - VW Up! clone).

Yet time again, after being parked for a while, the reading is anything up to 3 degrees low.  For example, just now after having a coffee in a local cafe, it read 15 C.  However, after driving for a couple of miles,.it settled down to 18C.  No changes of terrain or sunshine.  I cannot explain that.  Ideas?  I have no idea where the sensor is   I'll ask Jamie who runs 'my' garage.  Jamie seems to know everything!

But what Jamie isn't very good at is sending out bills   (no doubt not his department).  Both my wife's and my own car were serviced a couple of months ago but we still haven't had the bills. We really need to take that into account to know if we are still billionaires:-)

Jack

Len

Aug 18, 2022, 7:29:26 AM8/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Mine on my 20-yr old Toyota Corolla seems very slow to register air temperature when it is first taken out of the garage.
The other week the outside air temperature was 30°C. In the garage the car said 23°C.
It took about 5 mins of driving to reach 25°, reached my destination in 25 mins and it registered 28°.
So never got to 30°C.  But it did on my return journey though 30 mins later.

Generally though it reacts quite well to small changes in temperature when driving from a city centre to a more rural environment.
But that 7 degrees difference between garage and 30°C outside was too much for it.

Len
Wrmbury

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2022, 12:16:34 PM8/18/22
to Weather and Climate
I finally got my car bills - not pretty!

Jack

Julian Mayes

Aug 23, 2022, 6:26:27 PM8/23/22
to Weather and Climate
I've noticed how much better thermometers are on cars now compared with 10 years ago or so.     When I drive home I check the temp shown and then guess what the temperature sensor in the house will say (i.e. the sensor bit outside).   They usually agree within 1 deg C which I think is pretty impressive.   Inevitably, can read a bit high when starting off in the sun (unlike Jack's experience perhaps). Otherwise, it is fairly stable but responsive enough to register a drop of 1 deg C when driving along a nearby road which is shaded by large trees.  It was quite something to drive into London on 19th July and see the 40C displayed.

Car's a Hyundai Ioniq - and in 4 years I've not paid anything other than the fixed price servicing (perhaps should not gloat - service coming up!).

Julian

Dave C

Aug 25, 2022, 5:23:22 AM8/25/22
to Weather and Climate
Yes - they do seem to have improved a lot. My Renault Captur Hybrid ties in well with my PWS when I get in. Out of interest which version of the Ioniq   have you got?

Julian Mayes

Aug 27, 2022, 3:00:04 PM8/27/22
to Weather and Climate
Hi Dave, sorry, only just seen your question.    I've just got the self-charging hybrid - I could not be doing with the cables for charging - I might think differently in the future though.   I'm a fan of the combination of the hybrid tech with an auto gearbox - the way the car seems to almost drive itself!   My first auto.     80 mpg  in summer, 65-70 in winter - it is very temperature dependent (trying to get some weather into the reply!).

cheers   Julian