The easterly finally loses its grip as Zoey moves in

xmetman

Jun 12, 2018, 11:57:13 AM6/12/18
to Weather and Climate

Here's the forecast evolution for low Zoey from the Met Office.

A tight enough gradient on the bent back occlusion for any time of the year across the NW of Ireland let alone June.

The GFS has a very similar solution.

xmetman

Jun 13, 2018, 2:59:28 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate

Very similar although the cold front seems to be more active at 06 UTC.

Steve Jackson

Jun 13, 2018, 4:51:00 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate

So Low Zoey has been named storm Hector, the latest named storm on record; the previous latest storm of the season was storm Katie 25th to 28th March 2018.

Steve J

xmetman

Jun 13, 2018, 5:15:52 AM6/13/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

It looks like this was yet another storm that was named by Met  Eireann.

As far as as I can see the Met Office have only named three storms this season (A,C,& E) the other seven were named by the Irish, French and Americans.

Steve Jackson

Jun 13, 2018, 5:43:46 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate
Sorry, storm Katie was in 2016, of course, not 2018!

xmetman

Jun 13, 2018, 7:53:56 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate
I was looking back at the records for the 14th of June to see just what other severe low's they've been since 1871 - the answer is very few - and none match the forecast severity of this one.

The nearest one that I could find was the 14th June 1908.

xmetman

Jun 13, 2018, 8:03:58 AM6/13/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
Here it is in a bit more detail from the 6 hour reanalysis data

Still no match for Hector née Zoey which looks like it will be unusually vigorous

Lacunae

Jun 13, 2018, 8:08:38 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate
Trausti Jonsson details some June stonkers near Iceland on his blog (in Icelandic) https://trj.blog.is/blog/trj/ 959.6 hPa in 1983!

xmetman

Jun 13, 2018, 8:11:11 AM6/13/18
to Weather and Climate
Not a mention of 1908 but I suppose it didn't affect Iceland.
Icelandic is some language!

xmetman

Jun 14, 2018, 2:08:04 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate

It's rare to see Cairngorm not on top of the highest gust table but the Bealach Na Ba topped it at 05 UTC

Freddie

Jun 14, 2018, 3:12:57 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate
I presume the final column in the table is beaufort force.  I didn't know there was a F13 and F14.  Every day's a school day....

--
Freddie
Ystrad

John Hall

Jun 14, 2018, 4:15:30 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate
One needs to bear in mind that the Irish and UK met offices have only been naming storms for a few years, Still, there's no doubt that such an intense Low at this time of year is very unusual.

xmetman

Jun 14, 2018, 8:41:09 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate

I don't know where I picked up the extended Beaufort scale from, but here's a graphic about it that I found in a quick Google search.

No doubt you already found something about it otherwise you'd be saying how wrong I got it.

Freddie

Jun 14, 2018, 9:41:01 AM6/14/18
to Weather and Climate
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 13:41:09 UTC+1, xmetman wrote:

I don't know where I picked up the extended Beaufort scale from, but here's a graphic about it that I found in a quick Google search.

No doubt you already found something about it otherwise you'd be saying how wrong I got it.

I haven't looked.  I guessed you had found out about it somehwere and were using it because of that.  All I was saying was that I hadn't come across it before.