Penzance Thunder to the Left Thunder to the right. BIG gusts.

Graham Easterling

Jun 18, 2022, 11:01:16 AM6/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Around 13:00 a thunderstorm passed just to the NW, lightning in the Pendeen area.

Then a brief spell with sunny spells, and the temperature around 19C despite a very gust F5 NNE wind. I was at Helston at 14:30 when, following some warm sunshine, there were quite suddenly some big gusts associated with approaching thunderstorms.2022-06-18 15_43_43-Capture.png

I drove back to Penzance around the time of the above image, just avoiding the deluge but a particularly violent gust brought down a large branch across the Marazion by-pass, blocking the lane in the opposite direction. By the time I edged passed several cars had stopped and there was enough person power to push it back towards the verge.

As I write another storm is passing to the south. Only 0.4mm in Penzance so far but, seeing the amount of rain falling from the clouds, I wouldn't be right under one. Looks like plenty is reaching the ground.

Quite exciting weather for June!

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Jun 18, 2022, 12:15:57 PM6/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Not the weather for a holiday. A rare deserted Porthmeor beach with an onshore F5-6 & a threatening sky.

2022-06-18 17_12_04-Capture.png

Steep drop in the temperature over the last couple of hours, from near 19C to a distinctly chilly 13C or so.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Jun 18, 2022, 1:31:40 PM6/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Several rumbles of thunder in the last 30 minutes (now 18:25) and it's very dark. Couple of close flashes, about 2 secs before the thunder. Not a great deal of rain as yet, about 3mm or so.

I see the thunder weather warning for the SW ends at 19:00. I think that may be premature, plenty of lightning to the SW still.

Graham
Penzance

Tudor Hughes

Jun 18, 2022, 5:26:23 PM6/18/22
to Weather and Climate
Thunder heard here first at 2102Z followed by a number of fairly prolonged rolls.  Also many c-c discharges, non of them terribly near. L.ight to moderate rain at present.  Maximum temperature today was 23.8°C at about 12Z, but now down to 15°C.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey, 557 ft, 170 m.

Graham Easterling

Jun 19, 2022, 4:17:37 AM6/19/22
to Weather and Climate
Despite thunder off and on for around 6 hours, and some very bright echoes, total rainfall only 4.7mm.

The strong & very gusty winds of mid afternoon, quickly died down late afternoon. A sharp unforecast drop in wind speed. From near Lands End, right hand windspeed scale in  mph.

2022-06-19 09_12_50-Capture.png

An interesting day.

Back to Summer tomorrow.

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Jun 19, 2022, 5:30:08 AM6/19/22
to Weather and Climate
5.3 mm here. Thunder showers seem to pass either side of us. frequent 40 mph gusts though during the afternoon.
 Fancy dress on Porthmeor beach St Ives this morning.

Len
Wembury
Firefox_Screenshot_2022-06-19T09-28-20.371Z.png