I just wonder how close Met Eireann came to naming this one storm Lawrence?

xmetman

Sep 9, 2016, 10:12:19 AM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate
I just wonder how close Met Eireann came to naming this one storm Lawrence?

It's also interesting to see that they have recently changed their alert states to be more in line with those of the Met Office.
It certainly is a windy scene across the British Isles with many stations reporting gusts of 25 knots or more in their 1300 UTC observations...

The Meteorological institute in Berlin - Adopt a Vortex - have already given it a name, Quila as far as I can see. I see that the previous storm came from a Blue Peter fan who is now in his mid sixties...

Richard Dixon

Sep 9, 2016, 10:42:17 AM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate

On Friday, 9 September 2016 15:12:19 UTC+1, xmetman wrote:

The Meteorological institute in Berlin - Adopt a Vortex - have already given it a name, Quila as far as I can see.

Just on a point of order - every single high/low is named by the Berlin guys, it's not a matter of naming when it reaches a specific tolerance, as far as I'm aware.

I won't get started on multiple WMO member states naming the same systems...!

Richard

xmetman

Sep 9, 2016, 11:01:22 AM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate
Hi Richard

Yes, I realised that's how the Germans work it.

Maybe the Met Office should name every storm too. Internally they could just use the single letter abbreviation as they did for many years, and for the media that could be expanded to a full name when the low takes on more notoriety.

Bruce.

Richard Dixon

Sep 9, 2016, 11:45:54 AM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate
On Friday, 9 September 2016 16:01:22 UTC+1, xmetman wrote:

Maybe the Met Office should name every storm too. Internally they could just use the single letter abbreviation as they did for many years, and for the media that could be expanded to a full name when the low takes on more notoriety.

This was my take on it - either name them all or none at all!

Richard

Joe

Sep 9, 2016, 6:22:27 PM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate

On Friday, 9 September 2016 15:12:19 UTC+1, xmetman wrote:
I just wonder how close Met Eireann came to naming this one storm Lawrence?

Bruce, it would seem it was fairly close!  This is a tweet from Joanna Donnelly, a Met Eireann forecaster.

Joe

xmetman

Sep 9, 2016, 6:55:22 PM9/9/16
to Weather and Climate
Joe

Yes it just tracked a little further too far west for maximum impact, I wonder if Sunday's storm will run a little further east than today's?

Bruce.

Paul Garvey

Sep 10, 2016, 7:55:51 AM9/10/16
to Weather and Climate