Graham and Len. All shook up?

jack.h...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2023, 12:42:23 PM11/19/23
to Weather and Climate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c724le759lro

I have lived through three quakes.  A significant one Cyprus early 1970s, but I slept through it (too many beers the evening before!)

Another minor one when I was in the car but didn't notice it.

One in the Midlands circa 1990s that woke my son but not me.

But I did feel the Buncefield gas explosion in 2005 at a distance of some 50 kilometres.

Jack

Graham Easterling

Nov 19, 2023, 12:51:23 PM11/19/23
to Weather and Climate
Slept through it!

Actually, minor quakes aren't that uncommon here.  There's a fault which runs off Penwith & past the Lizard. This one was 2.7 I believe, just off Mullion. About 20 years ago (may be a bit more) there was a 4.6 quake just off Porthcurno. My mum & dad were visiting. The main thing in Penzance that time was the noise, like loud thunder that went on for 30 seconds or so. I didn't realise a minor quake could be so noisy. There was some minor damage locally, including to the church at St Levan, near Porthcurno.

There was a similar quake when I was out at Sennen circa 1970.

Graham - Shaken but not stirred
Penzance

Len

Nov 21, 2023, 12:04:28 PM11/21/23