A bit more pessimism

Graham Easterling

Jul 7, 2021, 9:39:58 AM7/7/21
to Weather and Climate
Looked at the forecast for Sennen this morning, not so much as half a sun at any time, yet it been fairly sunny since 11:00, the cloud developing with the uplift over the cliffs, and becoming extensive inland. Penzance currently near 20C with spells of sunshine.

Anyway, it's was  like this 11:30

2021-07-07 11_43_44-Capture.png

3 hours later. Sunshine, high humidity & a great wave, lovely conditions for the beach.2021-07-07 14_20_26-Capture.png
People have realised the sun was here to stay, despite the MetO attempts to the contrary. To be fair the forecast has improved, the rain drops have been removed, but the cloud remains.

2021-07-07 14_25_26-Capture.png

We have had rain of course, but in between it's been fairly sunny. The BBC forecast at least remembers the existence of a sun symbol!

The relentless pessimism is starting to become a standing joke. The Cove Diary for Monday. "The weather forecasters got lucky today and had a forecast for rain that was actually correct. I suppose if you forecast rain every day then you will get lucky at some point."

Even on Monday it was dry & bright in the morning, I know it was a clean wave out at Sennen before the wind & rain arrived in the afternoon.

I think part of the issue is the forecasts always show more cloud on the coast, when the reverse is the case 90% of the time, especially in Spring & Summer. Even during the recent unstable conditions with cold air aloft, the written bit on the SW forecast said on once occasion "cloud will retreat to the coast" Perhaps the cloud at Camborne, away from the immediate sunny coast, has been misleading them. If so perhaps a few observation stations on the coast would come in handy, like in the old days.

Graham
Penzance