New MetO Forecast

Graham Easterling

May 29, 2024, 4:47:50 AMMay 29
to Weather and Climate
I recently praised the new 'trial' forecasts for much more accurate temperature forecasts for Penzance, and that's still the case.

However, visibility forecasts are consistently worse. A week or so ago the forecast showed mist/fog (though the temperature forecast was fine), when we had unbroken sunshine. Sea fog patches affected the north coast, but barely made it 1 mile inland. Penzance had an offshore wind (as forecast) so I'm not sure where the sea fog was coming from.

The new forecast was showing VG visibility up at St Just, near the windward cliff top at >300', even for 08:00 this morning.

Now 09:30 and foggy down to almost sea level on west facing coasts. Looking from Sennen towards St Just and the cliff top Lands End airport.

2024-05-29 09_27_15-Capture.png

This appeared on the Skybus page yesterday.

SKYBUS WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WEDNESDAY 29TH MAY 2024
The weather forecast for Wednesday 29th May 2024 is indicating the likelihood of low cloud and reduced visibility at Land’s End and St Mary’s airports, which may cause disruption to Skybus flights.

Lucky they are not using the trial visibility forecasts, no flights currently

In both examples onshore/offshore location seems to be disregarded. The humidity/visibility forecasts for Penzance (offshore near sea level) and St Just, being basically identical.

Graham
Penzance

PS, just glanced back at the webcam, mist now showing signs of breaking, though the cliff tops still shrouded.

Freddie

May 29, 2024, 5:18:41 AMMay 29
to Weather and Climate
You may wish to feed back your observations to the Met Office.