Cloud classification?

Graham Easterling

Apr 27, 2024, 10:41:22 AMApr 27
to Weather and Climate
In this photo from yesterday, what is the correct classification?

Cb&Lent260424Sm1.jpg

CL3 (Cb without anvil) is the dominant cloud, but what about the lenticular clouds (SCSL)

or doesn't it matter where I file it!

Graham
Penzance

Metman2012

Apr 27, 2024, 5:08:25 PMApr 27
to Weather and Climate
Isn't that vellum cloud rather than lenticular? See  https://whatsthiscloud.com/cloud-accessories/velum/

jack.h...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2024, 1:48:35 AMApr 28
to Weather and Climate
Certainly not lenticular.  The line of cumulus is probably best assigned to Cumulus congestus (towering cumulus).

Jack

Graham Easterling

Apr 28, 2024, 4:15:44 AMApr 28
to Weather and Climate
Agree, it rather looks like that from the photo.

However, it was quasi stationary and not linked to any particular cumulus. Also the nearest band is to the west of the Cumulus, which were down the spine of the Lizard. It appears to have been initiated by the westerly breeze (at that time) rising up the 200' cliffs. The 2nd band associated with the wave form as the wind crossed the very flat 200' raised beach which makes up the Lizard plateau.

Certainly not clear cut I'd agree. Lenticular clouds are common in a westerly wind across the Lizard, and also the southern part of the Penwith peninsula to the west of Penzance.

Looking SW from Penzance

CM4 AcLenticularPenlee210609.JPG

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Apr 28, 2024, 4:17:34 AMApr 28
to Weather and Climate
It's not the line of cumulus that I was referring to Jack, it's the dark stratiform cloud in front.

There have certainly been some very impressive Cb recently!

Graham