schedule of speakers

phoebe ayers

Dec 26, 2010, 12:13:04 PM12/26/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com
Dear West-coast-wiki-conf peeps,

We have two speakers lined up for the West Coast Wiki Conference: Ward Cunningham and Kevin Kelly. These are both very special guests and could headline at any conference.

What order would you like to see them speak in? I was thinking a morning speaker and an afternoon closeout or a lunch speaker. What do you think?

best,
Phoebe

p.s. Other things on our agenda:
* publicizing the conference -- I have just done the bare minimum of publicity, but we need to do a whole lot more

* last minute arrangements for food etc... let me know if you want to be involved.

--
phoebe...@gmail.com | http://phoebeayers.info
support Wikimedia: http://donate.wikimedia.org

Steven Walling

Dec 26, 2010, 3:20:54 PM12/26/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com
My !vote is for Kelly as the morning speaker and Ward as lunch speaker. That way Kelly is not compelled to stay at the conference anymore than he would like. Ward will most likely want to stay the whole time anyway, and I have been at conferences where he did a great job as an afternoon speaker.

I also would advise against having an end-of-day keynote; it's common practice but I find people are always antsy to get out the door to the party, no matter how cool the speaker is.

Cary Bass

Dec 26, 2010, 6:23:06 PM12/26/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com
On 12/26/2010 12:20 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> My !vote is for Kelly as the morning speaker and Ward as lunch speaker.
> That way Kelly is not compelled to stay at the conference anymore than
> he would like. Ward will most likely want to stay the whole time anyway,
> and I have been at conferences where he did a great job as an afternoon
> speaker.

+1

Eugene Eric Kim

Dec 27, 2010, 3:55:16 PM12/27/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com
I'm inclined to do it the reverse: Ward in the morning, Kevin in the
afternoon, as Kevin's is likely to be more future-focused. He can
always come later in the afternoon if he doesn't want to stay for the
whole day, although I would find that disappointing.

I don't feel strongly about it either way, though. I think both will be great.

I like the idea of doing a lunch-time talk. Very innovative!

Hope y'all are having a great holiday!

=Eugene

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Steven Walling
<steven....@gmail.com> wrote:
> My !vote is for Kelly as the morning speaker and Ward as lunch speaker. That
> way Kelly is not compelled to stay at the conference anymore than he would
> like. Ward will most likely want to stay the whole time anyway, and I have
> been at conferences where he did a great job as an afternoon speaker.
> I also would advise against having an end-of-day keynote; it's common
> practice but I find people are always antsy to get out the door to the
> party, no matter how cool the speaker is.

Eugene Eric Kim ................................ http://xri.net/=eekim
Blue Oxen Associates ........................ http://www.blueoxen.com/

James Salsman

Dec 27, 2010, 7:02:09 PM12/27/10
to wcwc11
I started http://2011.westcoastwikicon.org/wiki/Program#Proposed_schedule
which may be of some help. Who is the "open space" facilitator?