west coast wikiconference

phoebe ayers

Nov 22, 2010, 12:28:14 AM11/22/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com, San Francisco Wikimedians, Eugene Eric Kim
Hello all!

As you all know, January 15 is fast approaching! And with it, the west
coast wikiconference. I know there hasn't been much recent movement on
this .... which is as much my fault as anyone's :) I'm assuming,
however, that we're still enthusiastic about making this thing happen
as a community :) So...

==venue and essential questions==
* do we want a 1 or 2 day event?
* do we want to stay in the women's center? (Eugene, what is our
status with them?) Or,
* given that we haven't done much to plan this thing, do we want to
move into a smaller (cheaper) venue? (I am thinking the SoMa hub,
which I believe is available during the day on Jan. 15, though not the
evening: http://bayarea.the-hub.net/public/space.html. We were
concerned about it being too small, but I'm not sure if we should
worry about that at this point.

I would like to get the venue confirmed by the beginning of December, no later.

* Money: Eugene has offered Wiser Earth as a fiscal sponsor. If that
doesn't work out, I will offer to manage the money for the conference,
including putting the money up front for a venue deposit.

==planning meeting==
I think it would be good to have an online or in-person planning
meeting soon. I know next weekend is the holiday weekend, but what
about on IRC planning meeting on Saturday?

Let me know what you think -- let's get the ball rolling on this again :)

best,
Phoebe

--
phoebe...@gmail.com | http://phoebeayers.info
support Wikimedia: http://donate.wikimedia.org

Steven Walling

Nov 22, 2010, 1:54:14 AM11/22/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com, San Francisco Wikimedians, Eugene Eric Kim

Good news is I can semi-officially devote time to this as part of my duties for tenth anniversary organizing. Including acquiring some awesome swag. Bad news is there are 30 other events I have to keep tabs on, so I won't be able to get too hands on.

I'm in for an IRC meeting on Saturday, and if that's settled I will let Portland wiki folks know too.

Steven

Jon Davis

Nov 22, 2010, 2:09:07 AM11/22/10
to wcw...@googlegroups.com, San Francisco Wikimedians, Eugene Eric Kim
I'm thinking that one day and evening should be sufficient (Smaller/cheaper/shorter).  Multi-day event is probably a little much, but we can do a single day.  We can have some interesting activities going on, maybe a little more partyesque into the evening?

-Jon
--
Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ

Eugene Eric Kim

Nov 29, 2010, 2:29:43 AM11/29/10
to phoebe ayers, wcw...@googlegroups.com, San Francisco Wikimedians
Hi all,

We're essentially six weeks out at this point. That's very tight in
regards to marketing, etc., especially if we want people to travel to
attend. So I think going with the smaller venue makes the most sense
at this point, although we'll have to see if the Hub is still
available.

As for one vs two days, I don't think planning for a two day Open
Space is significantly harder than a one-day, as you use the same
caterer, the same space, the same facilitator, etc. It's simply a
matter of fundraising.

I'm up for a planning meeting this week.

=Eugene

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Eugene Eric Kim ................................ http://xri.net/=eekim
Blue Oxen Associates ........................ http://www.blueoxen.com/

phoebe ayers

Nov 29, 2010, 10:44:04 AM11/29/10
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Eugene Eric Kim <ee...@blueoxen.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're essentially six weeks out at this point. That's very tight in
> regards to marketing, etc., especially if we want people to travel to
> attend. So I think going with the smaller venue makes the most sense
> at this point, although we'll have to see if the Hub is still
> available.

Indeed :) I'll call them today. Going by their calendar, they're not
available in the evening, so we'd have to find a different party
space.

> As for one vs two days, I don't think planning for a two day Open
> Space is significantly harder than a one-day, as you use the same
> caterer, the same space, the same facilitator, etc. It's simply a
> matter of fundraising.
>
> I'm up for a planning meeting this week.

Let's pick a day!

Phoebe

Eugene Eric Kim

Nov 29, 2010, 5:28:58 PM11/29/10
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:44 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm up for a planning meeting this week.
>
> Let's pick a day!

Day is picked: this Wednesday, December 1, 11am PST on IRC
(#wikimedia-sf on FreeNode). Please join us!

=Eugene