Gauging interest: Pre-Creative Camp Workshop on interactive magazine publishing - ACTION REQUIRED (provide feedback to Kai :-)

Kai Koenig

May 13, 2011, 1:47:23 AM5/13/11
to wc...@googlegroups.com, nzf...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for another email on your Friday night :)

I'm just trying to gauge interest for a potential Creative Camp workshop (on Fri 28 Oct) on creating interactive electronic magazines for mobile devices (in particularly tablets) with InDesign and the digital publishing suite toolkit.

Here are some examples of said process:

US Wired magazine
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/04/wired-mag-free-for-may/

Martha Stewart Living
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/2010/11/martha-stewart.html

The workshop would be done by one of the leading experts from the US on InDesign and the aforementioned publishing process and probably be priced around 300-400 NZD per attendee for the full day (price also depending on the interest - the more people, the cheaper it could get)

It'd be awesome if you could give me some feedback if that's something of interest!

Cheers
Kai

--
Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 / +61 435 263 414

Caspian

May 13, 2011, 5:33:18 PM5/13/11
to Wellington Creative Suite User Group
I am interested… although I have to admit that I have my reservations
about the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite as no matter how I look at it
I can't understand how the pricing model applys to independant
designers/freelancers/sole traders/modern e-zines etc… and although I
have a couple of clients who could benifit from interactive
publications none of them would ever be able to afford $US5,500 or
would need 25,00 issues.
So if it's just going to be a showcasing of the DPS and inDesign
workflow I'm not sure how I'd be able to put the knowledge gained in a
day into practice… but if it was more than that, say html5?
Interactive pdfs as magazines? Other ways? It would be more valuable.
Just saying.

Kai Koenig

May 13, 2011, 9:25:54 PM5/13/11
to wc...@googlegroups.com
Totally fair point. And it's true - even people in a larger markets such as the US have reservations and concerns re the DPS pricing.

The workshop would def. cover DPS, but not solely. It'll be adobe InDesign interactivity, including interactive PDFs, ebooks and DPS.

Hope that helps
Kai

Emily R. Hogan

May 13, 2011, 7:05:08 PM5/13/11
to wc...@googlegroups.com

Really interested, but at a wedding that day. Cheers, Emily