Updates

1 view

Jennifer Schroeter

Feb 5, 2016, 10:35:04 PM2/5/16
to wcm...@googlegroups.com, Schoebel, PJ, Kelley, Doug, ch...@lwstrategy.com

Good evening everyone.

So much has changed since the last board meeting.  Chris Lenzendorf and the legislative committee have been working hard at garnishing support for our 979 legislation.  In the past couple weeks we have met with the Wisconsin Counties Association, Badger Sheriff’s Association, Wisconsin Funeral Directors Association and Wisconsin Hospital Association . . .  For the most part the  changes requested  from these organizations were by no means deal breakers on our end; however, they became the catalyst to a larger issue with the drafter.  The drafter is responsible to ensure any changes in wording do not have a negative  rippling effect or contradict definitions concerning other statutes unrelated to our bill.  Understanding the urgency, with the session ending this month,  there is simply not enough time for her to do the necessary research to provide the answers to ensure the statutes read correctly.  The difficult decision had to be made to separate the 979 legislation with the training standards and formation of the board etc.

There is a another silver lining in all of this.  There is now no opposition to the training aspect of our bill.  In fact by splitting our current bill into two . . . one training bill, and one bill updating the 979 language, we will get the training and funding passed this session, and be able to work in cooperation with the associations listed above to update the language in a way that will be agreeable to all parties for the next session.  Rep. Schraa has committed to take the lead on this re-write and put it through joint finance once there is a consensus.  Establishing training standards has been the primary focus for the bill. This will be a huge victory for us!!

The change will not impede our current schedule.   The assembly and senate hearings are scheduled for Wednesday 2/10/16.  Times have not yet been determined. Please mark your calendars . . . we need a huge presence for the hearings.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.  I will be working with Chris on a message to send out to the membership and of course will keep you posted as the hearings near.

Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend.

Jennifer Schroeter

Chief Deputy Medical Examiner

Kenosha County

jennifer....@kenoshacounty.org

Office: 262.653.3867

Fax:  262.653.3877

Cell:  262.818.6147

Hinze, Angela

Feb 5, 2016, 10:54:17 PM2/5/16
to Jennifer Schroeter, wcm...@googlegroups.com, Schoebel, PJ, Kelley, Doug, ch...@lwstrategy.com

Job well done!!!

Notice: This email is on a publicly owned system, subject to open records (sec. 19.21, et seq.) and archival (sec. 16.61, et seq.) requirements under Wisconsin State Law.