Utility Shutoffs

Kassandra Raymond

Jan 28, 2022, 12:19:25 PM1/28/22
to wc...@googlegroups.com

Hello, I’m interested in hearing from other municipalities who have resumed utility (water) shutoffs. We’re resuming disconnections in February 2022, and despite a robust messaging program, still have a substantial list of delinquent accounts, with a fair number of accounts with significant balances.

If you’re restarted your shutoffs, how many were on your most recent shutoff list, out of how many active accounts?

What programs are you offering for delinquent customers? We’re offering an extended payment plan and referral to community resources.

We’ll be updating our Council on the impending shutoffs and would be interested in how other cities are doing for context.

Thank you,

Kassandra Raymond | Chief Financial Officer

City of Sumner

1104 Maple Street

Sumner, WA 98390

Phone: 253-299-5541

www.sumnerwa.gov

þ Before printing, please think green.

Advisory: Please be advised the City of Sumner is required to comply with the Public Records Act, Chapter 42.56 RCW. This act establishes a strong state mandate in favor of disclosure of public records.  Therefore, the information you submit to the City via email, including personal information, may ultimately be subject to disclosure as a public record.

Michael Olson

Jan 28, 2022, 12:21:39 PM1/28/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

At this time, shut-offs for Kirkland is not resuming until the billings that happen in April (so late May/June shut-off).

Michael Olson

Director of Finance and Administration

City of Kirkland

425-587-3146

mol...@kirklandwa.gov

NOTICE: This e-mail account is part of the public domain. Any correspondence and attachments, including personal information, sent to and from the City of Kirkland are subject to the Washington State Public Records Act, Chapter 42.56 RCW, and may be subject to disclosure to a third party requestor, regardless of any claim of confidentiality or privilege asserted by an external party.

Debbie Booher

Jan 28, 2022, 12:37:24 PM1/28/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

City of Poulsbo has restarted shutoffs and penalties as of November.  We did offer a payment plan and the opportunity to apply for grants to assist customers.  We only had 2 applicants for the assistance although many have reached out to local agencies offering rental and utility assistance.  Since all firms are backed up, as long as customers could show they are in the process to receive assistance we do not issue penalties or shutoffs.  We check every month with the agencies to confirm they are still in the process.  What is also helpful is we used ARPA funds to hire additional staff to support the payment and shut off plan administration.  This position was  a long time coming with our growing customer base.

Prior to shutoff we did send letters to past due residences and we worked closely with our Public Works Department to issue door knockers for two months prior to shut off letting customers know they would be shut off and providing a list of resources available for assistance if it was not resolved prior to the actual shut off date.

More work, but it has paid off as very few actually did get shut off.

Good luck.  Lots of work but with the delay of penalties and shut offs, many customers we would have been able to lien in the past is limited.

Deborah Booher| Finance Director | City of Poulsbo | 200 NE Moe Street | Poulsbo,  WA 98370 |
Ph: 360-394-9720 | Fax: 360-779-5112 | Web:
www.cityofpoulsbo.com | Email: dbo...@cityofpoulsbo.com

Jan 28, 2022, 12:41:35 PM1/28/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

City of Ellensburg offered its customers 60 days to sign payment plans with 6 months to pay off their past due balances.  We only had approximately 50 customers sign and return the payment plan out of approximately 1,700 past due accounts.  Throughout the pandemic, Finance staff made contact, or attempted to make contact with customers multiple times in a variety of ways (emails, phone call, multiple mailings, messages printed on bills).  In January we brought a resolution to council temporarily amending out utility account collection process for past due customers.  This resolution allowed to send collection notices instead of disconnect notices to past due customers.  We will be sending all accounts that were past due at the end of September (who do not have a signed payment agreement with us), to collection instead of disconnecting.

Jan 28, 2022, 12:51:49 PM1/28/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

Kassandra,

The City of Wenatchee resumed water shutoff in October. We sent notices to our delinquent customers telling them their water would be shutoff on a particular date. Our local Community Action Council was administering a utility assistance program and we referred customers to them. We also allowed payment plans and have a handful of customers who took advantage of that. By the time shutoff day arrived, it looked like a typical pre-pandemic water shutoff day. Most customers figured out a way to pay their bill, or line up an assistance program. We had a lot of phone calls and payments for a couple weeks, but it was much less painful than we anticipated.

We had also tried contacting customers throughout the pandemic to remind them that their balances were growing, but many of them simply blocked the City’s phone number. Shutoff was our only way to prompt a conversation.

We shutoff water in October and November. Then it got very cold and the snow hit. We currently have a foot of snow and ice sitting on many of the water valve chambers, so we probably won’t go back to shutting off until March. Customer balances are growing again and we hope the assistance programs will still be available to them in March (some assistance was one-time balance payoff).

I hope your shutoff process was as easy as ours was. It seems like most customers were able to come up with the funds when they needed to.

Thanks,

Brad Posenjak

Finance Director

logo 1

301 Yakima Street, 3rd Floor • PO Box 519 Wenatchee, WA 98807-0519

Office: (509) 888-3610 • Email: bpos...@wenatcheewa.gov

Jan 28, 2022, 12:55:51 PM1/28/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

The City of Cheney has resumed both penalties and shut offs for electric and water.   We contracted with a local agency for utility assistance and marketed that for several months this fall and also designated a chunk of ARPA funds for utility assistance  Unfortunately, only about 1/3 of the allocated funds were applied for and used.       We also offered 12 month payment plans and have other outside agencies that provide utility help as well.       It has not been easy due the 19 month hold cycle on penalties and shut offs

We have now had 3 disconnect cycles.   First shut off was large – 3 times the normal number of approx. 40.    2nd shut off was back to the norm, and third was slightly elevated.   We are also a college town so we have a large rental number – most of the shut offs are rentals.    It is a retraining process with our customers at this point.

Jan 31, 2022, 9:44:09 AM1/31/22
to Kassandra Raymond, wc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kassandra,

We resumed shut offs in January.  We have about 14k customers.  We sent out monthly reminder notices during COVID.  We sent out 1100 late notices prior to door hangers.  On door hanger day, we had about 350 notices (yes, we still do door hangers per Council).  This generated a lot of foot and phone traffic.  On shut off day we had about 85 people to shut off.  The next day, about half of them were still shut off (not made payment).

We have allowed for payment arrangements; we had a grant program during early pandemic and we have the same referral to community resources.

Thanks,

Cherie

Feb 11, 2022, 10:33:28 AM2/11/22
to wc...@googlegroups.com
The City of Bothell's payroll function resides within the Finance Department.  There have been discussions of moving payroll to the Human Resources Department.  Does anyone currently have payroll functions in the HR department, and if so, what are the benefits, pros or cons?

Regards,

Maureen Schols
Interim Finance Director
City of Bothell
18415 101st Avenue NE
Bothell WA 98011
425-806-6882

As we follow COVID-19 Public Health directives, City Hall is still closed to the public and I am currently working remotely. I will be checking email during normal business hours and you can reach me on my cell at (425) 471-8627

Feb 11, 2022, 12:17:14 PM2/11/22
to wc...@googlegroups.com, Maureen Schols
We have had it both ways in Port Townsend.   Was in HR when I first arrived and then we transitioned it to Finance.     There is such a tie in to HR that there is some benefit for having it there; the downside was that the HR Manager did not have experience with payroll processing or taxes so in our small organization it was easier to handle it in Finance to firm up the internal controls/review process.