Surface markers to go along with ROW monuments

Paul

Nov 26, 2019, 10:21:38 AM11/26/19
to WCCS Survey Group
Does anyone on here put steel fence or carsonite posts next to their ROW monuments - beyond a wood lath or 2"x2" white?  I’ve been thinking about doing something like that, due to the fact that so many of the ROW mons around here (Cowlitz County) get destroyed (seemingly minutes) after we set them due to logging, farming, general homeowner, or utility activity.  Seriously, the only ROW monuments that are usually left years after a County Road Project are the ones we set in the centerline of the road in the asphalt.  It is a severe drain on resources to resurvey and reset everything that we never get compensated for (no matter what the law says).

A brightly colored, 4’ post with a tag on it saying "Do Not Disturb per RCW 58.04.015, Penalty is gross misdemeanor plus replacement costs" would seem to me to be a good way to combat some of this (especially in our rural areas) as I assume most of the destruction is simply because of lack of knowing there is anything there.  I've thought about only setting centerline mons in the asphalt, but it's also nice to have something for our road crew people to see so they know where the ROW is.  More substantial posts would help with that.  What do you think?

Paul Galli, PLS

Cowlitz County Public Works

1600 - 13th Avenue South

Kelso, WA 98626-2851

(360) 577-3030, Ext. 6539 (office)

(360) 749-0529 (cell)

ken paul

Jan 13, 2020, 5:10:47 PM1/13/20
to WCCS Survey Group
We used to do that in Pierce County. Might check with them. We have used them here in Clark County, primarily in areas where mowing occurs on the back side of a ditch.