You're invited! "What will Ann Arbor be when it grows up?" 5/13, 6:30pm, North Campus

Kirk Westphal

May 10, 2024, 6:32:03 PMMay 10
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Hey Walk Bike friends!

I hope you'll consider coming to what should be a fun, casual, urban planning/housing related event Monday night. It's free but it requires an RSVP here:

I'm grateful for how many of you already appreciate the relationships between housing policy and walking/biking — and lend your support for one or both.  And many of you have heard that the next year or two will be an absolutely pivotal time to reform both areas, whether it's through the city's comprehensive plan process (making room for more housing and walkable local businesses), or the city's commitment to reconfigure all of our dangerous multilane roads at reduce vehicle miles traveled (making us all safer and making room for more cycling, walking and transit).

All to say, whether or not you can participate in events like this, I hope all of you amazing housing/planning and walking/biking people can keep showing up for each other when we need to push!

Hope to see you soon!
Kirk

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 4.54.27 PM.jpg

Why is the rent so high? Why is our region so segregated? Why do we have to drive so much? And what can we do to fix this?

Please join us for presentations and lively discussion about the critical “comprehensive planning” process happening in Ann Arbor right now. Learn what a new plan could mean for the city, and how you can have a voice. Hear from housing activists, including the authors of a radically simple proposal for housing abundance and walkability in Ann Arbor.

future land use.jpg

Whether you’re new to urban planning or a die-hard zoning nerd, come with your questions and ideas about meeting the needs of current and future residents. What have you seen in other cities that you like? Could it work here? (If you’d like to present your vision to the entire group, please send a note by Friday 5/10 to he...@neighborhoodinstitute.org)

The event is free, but reservations are required by Sunday afternoon. Light food and soft drinks will be provided. Please forward this to a friend!

Register here: https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/ticketing/c254a561-ff1e-4a0c-a736-27d471c02048

Presenter list (in formation):

Abdulrahman Ateya, housing activist

Will Leaf & Jonathan Levine, professor of urban and regional planning

Donnell Wyche, pastor, housing activist, planning commissioner

Kirk Westphal, moderator, executive director of Neighborhood Institute

Agenda:

6:30pm — food & social time

7pm — presentations & table discussions

8:15pm — regroup & social time

Location and directions:

The event will take place in the Taubman College "Commons," located on the second floor of the new Taubman Wing (east end) of the Art & Architecture Building, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, 2000 Bonisteel Blvd, on UM’s North Campus. This location is served by AAATA and UM bus routes. Covered bike parking is located next to the venue entrance. Free car parking is in the rear of the building off Fuller Road (metered and Blue spaces free after 5pm).

Taubman commons.jpg

Event sponsors:

Neighborhood Institute

Urban & Regional Planning Program, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Michigan

Image credits:

Banner AI generated (but did you know there used to be a city beach at Argo Canoe Livery?)
Google Maps

Neighborhood Institute
206 S Main St #240
Ann Arbor, MI 48104