Fwd: The State of Transit is exciting!

Bruce Geffen

Feb 5, 2024, 1:02:47 PMFeb 5
to wb...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Deb Freer <D...@detroittransit.org>
Date: Mon, Feb 5, 2024 at 11:34 AM
Subject: The State of Transit is exciting!

Were you able to join our State of Transit event last week, Bruce?
Transportation Riders United

February 2024

Happy Transit Equity Day, Bruce!

While February may be the shortest month of the year, it's going to be jam-packed with exciting opportunities to get involved in improving transit - including TRU's volunteer meeting, SMART and RTA public meetings, MDOT proposing more highway widenings, the Governor preparing her budget, and more.

Get inspired to take action by reviewing the highlights of our State of Transit event last week. Then take advantage of the "Take Action" section below. Your voice is critical to shape our community in a way that works for everyone. Thanks for reading!

Big Energy from The State of Transit!

The transit community kicked off 2024 strong at TRU’s annual State of Transit event last week!

More than 100 people came out in person and 75 virtually to hear 14 fabulous speakers.

We do apologize to our virtual attendees for the inadequate sound quality. Check out our State of Transit video recording, now available with improved sound quality.

Thanks again to Wayne State’s Office of Economic Development and TechTown for sponsoring and to each one of our speakers.

Our State Policymaker panel had a lot of great things to say about transit:

  • "When you connect people, good things happen.” - Senator Jeff Irwin
  • “We need to do a lot more than just fix the damn roads. We need to make sure our people are truly connected.” - State Rep. Donavan McKinney
  • “We have an unpresented opportunity to capture federal funding for a number of state priorities, including transit, including rail. I’m pushing every day for that." Michigan Infrastructure Chief Zach Kolodin

Some new(-ish) information was announced:

  • Reps Morgan and McFall announced a new legislative Transit Caucus with 36 members from both parties and both houses.
  • RTA will launch their new Airport Express service in March, directly connecting from DTW to downtown Detroit.
  • Senator Irwin is working to fix the RTA law, which basically takes rail projects off the table.

 Several panelists shared plans for transit improvements:

  • “We’re coming up with a strategy to invest in transit long-term, especially to significantly boost local bus operating funds. . . increase by $150 million a year.” - State Rep. Jason Morgan
  • SMART says their upcoming driver contract will pay the highest driver wages in the state, possibly $30/hour.

  • DDOT has not only raised driver wages, they're phasing in enhanced transit on Jefferson, will open the new State Fair Transit Center this spring, and will allow same-day reservations for their paratransit service starting this summer.

And they encouraged us to not only stay active, but to expand our advocacy:

  • We’re accountable to you. It needs to be very clear that this is an issue voters care about and If you do not take action on it, you’ll be voted out of office.”  - Senator Mallory McMorrow
  • "We need to make sure that our elected officials at the local and state level hear about this issue wherever they go.” - Michigan Infrastructure Chief Zach Kolodin

 TRU was also proud to elect three new members to our Board of Directors:

  • Adam Goodman, an Ann Arbor sustainable mobility advocate and experienced tech professional
  • Farai Gundan, a Detroit entrepreneur developing financial technology for mobility service
  • Mitchell Mantey, a Detroit attorney, TRU volunteer, and regular bus rider

Read lots more about The State of Transit, including pictures, TRU's accomplishments and plans, news coverage of the event, and more on our website.

Transit Equity Day!

TRU joins allies nationwide in recognizing Transit Equity Day and calling out for prioritizing transit funding. We join with the Transit Equity Network which brings together transit riders, community organizations, civil rights groups, environmental and climate justice groups and transit worker unions who for the past four years have organized around Transit Equity Day.

We observe Transit Equity Day on Rosa Parks’ birthday, as she was a civil rights’ beacon of hope and solidarity for people of color and public riders everywhere.

Visit the Labor Network for Sustainability and join their Livestream on Monday Feb 5 from 12-2pm.  And share what transit equity means to you using #TransitEquityDay on your social channels.

At TRU, we know its hard to be involved while you're going through your every day routine.  We hope to make it as easy as possible for you to seize these opportunities to develop your community in a way that works for all of us.

Tell Governor Whitmer to Prioritize Transit in Her Upcoming Budget!

When Governor Whitmer delivered her sixth State of the State Address on Jan. 24, "she laid out her plans to lower costs, improve education, and ensure anyone can “make it” in Michigan."

But somehow never mentioned transit!?!

We all know Gov Whitmer is committed to making Michigan a clean mobility leader. But why does that seem to only include electric cars and trucks?

Remind her that clean mobility leaders make bold investments in buses, trains, and e-bikes as well.

She's making final decisions on her budget proposal right now, so don't delay.

How would you Re-Imagine DDOT?

For more than a year, DDOT gathered public input and analyzed ways to Re-Imagine DDOT to better service the people of Detroit.

The final plan for DDOT Reimagined is now available to view online. Share your comments at the upcoming virtual public hearing 5pm Thursday, Feb. 15 or email to DDOTCo...@detroitmi.gov.

TRU applauds their focus first on reliability, then on frequency - the two most critical aspects of successful transit - and DDOT's willingness to create a vision of what transit could and should be. Now to develop the resources to make it happen. . .

Tell MDOT to NOT Widen US-23

Some of our Washtenaw County friends are speaking out against another widening of US-23 and we at TRU encourage you to join in!

The Michigan Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is studying the widening of US-23 in Ann Arbor in a project which includes three expansion alternatives.

It’s proven that new lanes do not “fix” congestion — people just drive more and land uses sprawl.

Expanding freeway capacity will worsen air and noise pollution, expands carbon emissions, and further commits our community to an auto-centric development pattern which runs counter to our local and state goals.

Our demand is simple: build Trains Not Lanes!

Tell SMART what you think!

There are still a few more opportunities to learn about and share your ideas on the SMARTer Mobility Program.

SMART hopes to enhance current bus service by extending its reach to areas that may not warrant a traditional fixed-route bus system but where people still require access to recreational, educational, or employment opportunities.

Join SMART at one of their upcoming meetings learn about the SMARTer Mobility program, participate in planning activities, and give your input!

TRU can't wait to see you at these events, Bruce!

(Check out Corey's transit calendar for more transit events and meetings.)

At TRU, we're so excited for the many encouraging steps forward to get more and better public transit in 2024, but we can't do it without your support.

Thanks!

Deb

PS - This info is provided by Transportation Riders United, Detroit's nonprofit educating, advocating, and mobilizing for improved public transit and other affordable sustainability mobility. We hope you enjoy these monthly newsletters and our other occasional updates about top transit-related news, events, and opportunities.

If this was forwarded from a friend, sign up yourself! Or if you'd like more targeted emails, complete our Transit Interest Survey

Some TRU board members and staff at a 2019 planning retreat.

Transportation Riders United - 20 Years of Advocacy
FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn

Transportation Riders United
P. O. Box 2668
Detroit, MI 48202
United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.