Reminder: Ride of Silence tonight 7pm @ Farmers Market

Kirk Westphal

May 19, 2021, 3:07:52 PM5/19/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Hope you see many of you there.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ann Arbor Farmers Market
Today at 7 PM EDT
77°F Cloudy
Price: Free
Public  · Anyone on or off Facebook
Join us for a slow and silent ride. We ride in memory of the cyclists who have been injured or killed on public roads and in protest of car-centric legislation and infrastructure.
Everyone is invited. The route is about six miles and goes through downtown Ann Arbor. You are wanted and welcomed to ride for those who no longer can, regardless of skill level. Masks and helmets are required.
In particular, we'd like to honor several of the people from our community who have been killed this year, including Coleen Huling, Melissa Williamson, Jim Pagels and Thea Kantola.
More about the worldwide Ride of Silence here: http://www.rideofsilence.org/

Dharma Akmon

May 19, 2021, 3:45:23 PM5/19/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I will be there!

---
Dharma Akmon, PhD
Director of Project Management and User Support
Assistant Research Scientist
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
University of Michigan
she/her

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

Bruce Geffen

May 19, 2021, 7:11:05 PM5/19/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
You know, I understand it is hard to believe, but there are some of us who don't have Social Media of almost any type.  It would have been helpful and beneficial if there was an official announcement that went out instead of just on Social Media.  I would have liked to have been able to participate in this event once again.

Bruce Geffen

Sam Firke

May 20, 2021, 9:19:39 AM5/20/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kirk for sharing this.  I read stories on the internet about Coleen, Melissa, Jim, and Thea - all were heartbreaking.  I appreciate all who coordinated or participated in the ride to remember them.

Ditto, Bruce re: Facebook events.  To anyone who finds themselves organizing an event in the future and wants to be inclusive of folks who don't use Facebook or other social media, I recommend gath.io, a free, open-source, privacy-respecting site: https://gath.io/.  No accounts needed because it's not tracking you and selling your data.

Sam

Nicholas Adams

May 20, 2021, 9:34:13 AM5/20/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to chime in to support the "let's post events somewhere other than Facebook" folks. I too would have liked to attend this event but didn't find out about it until too late.

Thanks,

Nick Adams

Ken Freeman

May 20, 2021, 9:38:35 AM5/20/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Bruce.  It turned out I knew one of the organizers and he steered me, but it would all have been much easier jost to put it all in an email or posting, including the JPEG of the route plan.

Sam, I appreciate you have found a better app, but it's still an app. Email is much more universal.

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:19 AM Sam Firke <samuel...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

Sam Firke

May 20, 2021, 9:52:50 AM5/20/21
to wb...@googlegroups.com
To clarify, it just generates a (temporary) little webpage that has event info on it.  It's not an app like Facebook where you'd do the sharing there, it relies on being shared via email, this WBWC email list, Facebook, etc.

By decoupling the event-details site from the disseminating aspect, events get shared via email (and social media, if desired) since there's not the assumption that because it's on Facebook, all will see it.

[Sorry for being off-topic, I'm done now]