**Action alert** MAJOR street safety/bike infrastructure resolution at City Council tomorrow

Kirk Westphal

Nov 5, 2023, 7:15:56 PM11/5/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com
The City Council is taking action on DC-4 tomorrow, called "Resolution to Accelerate Safety Improvements on Multilane Roads." In my opinion, this is the single most consequential policy change ever considered by the city to both help eliminate road injuries AND have a chance to build out real bike infrastructure. It directs staff to create a plan to reconfigure ALL existing city multilane roads. These roads are relics of the deadly, pro-car transportation planning era that has resulted in the US having a vastly worse safety record than all of our peers.

Please SHARE this email with neighbors concerned about road safety (eg, parents who have expressed concern about children crossing wide roads to school), write to your city council representative or the council as a whole (cityc...@a2gov.org) to tell them your perspective on this resolution before noon on Monday, or get a speaking slot at the beginning of the meeting by calling the clerk tomorrow. The agenda for tomorrow is here, with instructions how to attend virtually at the top.

In brief, this resolution identifies the fact that multilane roads are inherently unsafe, and leaving them in their current form prevents the city from meeting its Vision Zero commitment (no deaths or serious injuries by 2025), so it explicitly directs staff to do something about it. "Multilane roads" are roads where more than one lane of cars goes in the same direction, i.e., all 4- or 5-lane two-way roads, and all 2- or 3-lane one-way roads. Some examples of these roads include Plymouth, Stadium, lower Packard, Eisenhower, Ann Arbor-Saline, Huron Parkway, Fuller, Division, Fifth, and Washtenaw/Huron/N Main (currently state roads, but that may change). Several city and state roads have been successfully reconfigured in the past 15 years: upper Packard, Jackson, lower Platt, lower Green, and part of South Main. All of these roads have seen significantly fewer crashes and/or lower speeds. (Here's a video that explains road diets, and here's a study that shows that road diets are fine for very high-volume roads.)

The resolution directs staff to create a plan, as part of the FY2025 budget cycle, to evaluate how to reconfigure all remaining multilane roads by 2030. I imagine some roads will be slated to receive a traditional "road diet," where a 4- or 5-lane road will get a bi-directional turn lane in the middle if it doesn't already have one and/or the outer car lanes will get converted to bike lanes and wider sidewalks. Others (like Plymouth, Washtenaw, and Fuller) might get their outer lanes converted to bus/HOV lanes because they're needed by the AAATA or UM for more efficient bus service or bus rapid transit.

Again, the most documented reason to eliminate redundant car lanes is significantly improved safety for all road users: fewer car lanes means lower car speeds and fewer injuries for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. Another benefit that many of us will appreciate is that the space created by eliminating car lanes has resulted in buffered or protected bike lanes. Without this direction to staff, we would make even less progress toward a protected bike network that we currently are. Lastly, having one lane in each direction makes it possible to replace signals with roundabouts, which decrease severe injury by 70%+ and calm speeds further.

Personally, my only major issue with the resolution is that it gives the city too much time to deal with these roads. Most of the benefits of road diets can be accomplished by scraping up and putting down new lane markings within a matter of days, with more permanent bike or bus infrastructure installed later. (Remember the "Healthy Streets" rapid deployment?) I think the proposed 2030 timeline will sadly result in unnecessary injuries in the meantime.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions you have about this! I'm sure others will be happy to chime in too.

Kirk Westphal
(also happy to chat: 734-660-9955)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Here is the resolution text:

Title

Resolution to Accelerate Safety Improvements on Multilane Roads

Body

Whereas, City Council proclaimed its commitment to Complete Streets in 2011 “to promote safe, convenient, comfortable, energy efficient and environmentally sustainable travel for all users”;

Whereas, In 2017, Council directed the City Administrator to develop a work plan to implement Vision Zero;

Whereas, The 2021 Moving Together Towards Vision Zero Transportation Plan has two main goals: 1. Zero traffic related deaths or serious injuries by 2025; and 2. Transition to a carbon neutral transportation system by 2030;

Whereas, Lower car speed is a critical component of Vision Zero, as there’s a 95% survival rate if a pedestrian is involved in a crash with a vehicle traveling 20 mph but only a 10% survival rate when the vehicle is travelling 40 mph;

Whereas, In the FY2022 budget, City Council funded the development of a Vision Zero Transportation Plan Implementation Strategy and Major Streets Traffic Calming Program (Speed Management Program);

Whereas, In January 2023, the City of Ann Arbor received notification that it was awarded a $3.8 million United States Department of Transportation Safe Streets and Roads for All Grant to advance Ann Arbor's Vision Zero transportation plan goals. Grant funding has been awarded to advance Vision Zero Quick Build projects and the Speed Management Program. Projects will begin in calendar year 2024;

Whereas, Streets with speed limits over 35 mph account for 55% of severe crashes but only comprise 15% of all streets within the City and streets with four or more lanes account for 40% of severe crashes but only comprise 7% of all streets within the City;

Whereas, The Speed Management Program establishes a set of tools that will be considered and evaluated on the City’s major streets to improve safety and reduce crashes, and this program includes Lane Reductions under cross-section modification;

Whereas, There are at least nine multilane roads under the City’s jurisdiction - Stadium Blvd, E. Packard, Eisenhower, S. Main, Ann Arbor-Saline Road, S. State, Plymouth, Huron Parkway, and Fuller;

Whereas, Wide roads encourage faster car driving speeds and are inherently more dangerous for all road users, which is in direct conflict with the City’s Vision Zero commitment;

Whereas, Four-lane roads can create a hostile environment for people walking, biking, and taking transit, thus hindering the City’s efforts to promote a 50% reduction in Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) by 2030;

Whereas, The 2021 Moving Together Towards Vision Zero Transportation Plan calls for evaluating opportunities for lane reconfigurations as a means of making roads safer and repurposing the space for other uses, such as bicycle infrastructure, dedicated transit facilities, or public space;

Whereas, The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) points to numerous safety benefits of lane reductions (aka “road diets”) that convert 4 lanes to 2, with a 2-way center turn lane, including reducing crashes 19-47%, improving pedestrian safety by removing “double-threats” at mid-block crossing, increased opportunity to install pedestrian refuge islands, bicycle lanes, on-street parking, or transit stops, and more consistent travel speeds;

Whereas, FHWA notes that the safety benefits of lane reductions to motorists include reduced rear-end and left-turn crashes due to the dedicated left-turn lane, reduced right-angle crashes as side street motorists cross three versus four travel lanes, and decreases in crashes involving drivers under 35 years of age and over 65 years of age;

Whereas, Lane reductions on Green Road, Jackson Avenue, Packard Street, and Platt Road led to significantly fewer crashes, and the South Main Street (north of Stadium) lane reconfiguration led to an increase of vehicles traveling at or below the speed limit from 42.2% (pre-deployment) to 74.9% (post-deployment);

Whereas, the Federal Highway Administration recommends consideration of lane reconfigurations for daily traffic volumes ≤25,000, a threshold that most 4- to 5-lane roads in Ann Arbor appear to meet;

Whereas, People continue to be injured or killed every year on City roads that are dangerously wide, a significant number of whom could be spared this trauma through a more rapid deployment of lane reconfigurations and other proven safety countermeasures;

Whereas, Council Resolution R-18-275 created reporting requirements to City Council related to lane reductions, some of which conflict with principles and goals established in the 2021 Transportation Plan and serve to slow rather than expedite plan implementation; and

Whereas, In November 2020, City Council adopted a new Transit Oriented Zoning (TC1) District to facilitate infill development and increased housing density along existing transit corridors, with the goal of shifting these corridors from areas one travels to and through by car to places designed for people to safely and comfortably live and visit on foot, bike, or by transit;

RESOLVED, City Council reaffirms the City’s Vision Zero commitment to eliminate all road deaths and serious injuries by 2025 and to transition to a carbon neutral transportation system by 2030;

RESOLVED, City Council directs the City Administrator to utilize the Speed Management Program, as well as the annual resurfacing/reconstruction program and capital projects list, to evaluate opportunities for road reconfigurations and incorporate into the annual capital improvements work plan, with the goal of reconfiguring multilane roads to advance the city’s safety and sustainability goals;

RESOLVED, City Council directs the City Administrator to develop a plan for evaluation of reconfiguring all existing multilane roads under the City's jurisdiction by 2030 for Council consideration as part of the FY2025 budget process;

RESOLVED, City Council directs the City Administrator to partner with the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority to prioritize road projects that facilitate the integration of bus lanes, transit priority measures, and/or nonmotorized improvements, such as floating bus stops to protect and enhance bicycle connectivity and pedestrian safety, along busy transit corridors; and

RESOLVED, City Council repeals the following resolved clause from R-18-275 which requires that “in conjunction with any proposed lane reduction proposals, city staff shall provide council current traffic volume data including peak hour volumes and volume-to-capacity ratios as well as projections for safety improvements and traffic delays.

Sponsored by: Councilmembers Akmon, Briggs, and Cornell

Molly Kleinman

Nov 6, 2023, 9:15:45 AM11/6/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com
TL;DR: Sign up to speak at tonight’s city council meeting in favor of DC-4, Resolution to accelerate safety improvements on multi lane roads. The meeting is at 7pm, and you have until 4pm to get a spot. Sign up by calling
734-794-6140. You can speak at the meeting in person, call in, or use Zoom. Feel free to contact me if you have never spoken at council before would like help figuring it out.

If you can’t speak at tonight’s meeting, send an email to cityc...@a2gov.org. Here’s a script. If you can, add a sentence or two about a multi lane road you use a lot that would be improved by this resolution.

Dear City Council,
I am writing in favor of DC-4, Resolution to accelerate safety improvements on multi lane roads. I support this plan to reduce crashes on our busiest roads, and make it easier for all Ann Arborites to get around the city safely.
Sincerely,
Name

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

Matthew Graff

Nov 6, 2023, 10:09:57 AM11/6/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking about this the other day as I was flying down Miller inbound and someone was scootering up the south side of the street.

I do love the bike infrastructure and I have become used to the WIlliam Street and the First Street bikeways, Those are pretty flat though.

I am worried that the potential for head on bike to bike collisions is high, especially right at the chapin/miller spring intersection.  I am also worried about feeling confined at the base of the hill.

There is a lot of traffic nosing out from Chapin and often cars turning left onto spring from miller stop in the lane.  There is also pot shop traffic in that area which can be very unpredictable.  As a rider now, I usually pull into the automobile traffic lane eastbound and out of the bike lane to give me visibility and a feeling of safety.  My speed coming down the hill is very close to the speed limit.
Being in the lane gives me space to maneuver (avoid) cars.

If I were locked into a two way bike lane at that intersection, I would feel afraid of being hit from the right by Chapin trafic.

Perhaps this has already been considered and thought through.
Perhaps the two way lanes really are best practice in design.
I just know that sometimes there is sensory overload with nearby car traffic when there are intersections and left turns.  Also getting into and out of the two way bike lanes can be tricky.

Do others have thoughts on this?

I would appreciate hearing more points of view.

Scott Franz

Nov 6, 2023, 12:09:39 PM11/6/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

The concern over the two-way cycle track down Miller has been voiced by many WBW members and I agree it is probably not the best choice of design. Here is a google group conversation from October from people discussing it after the meeting. Here is a recording of the October meeting. Their answers to questions about the design were lacking, but mentioned they plan on scheduling another meeting sometime in January where more questions about the bike infrastructure design will be answered. So I guess we'll just have to wait for that meeting to get some decent explanations on their choice of design.

Best,
Scott

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Walk Bike Washtenaw" group.

Kevin McGuinness

Nov 6, 2023, 9:33:45 PM11/6/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I have the same concerns about Miller

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wbwc/CAK8TbZ2q%3DjCCxVPavPH%3DhZi91CWWz5vZXETRWq3FVcCzw0Jp%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Regards,  Kevin

Ken Clark

Nov 8, 2023, 10:01:44 AM11/8/23
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Can we do some quick discussion on how in the world that passed unanimously?  I think that's fascinating.  Was anyone there who can talk about why no one voted against it?  I would have expected a little opposition at least, but instead it was unanimous.

Because if that passed unanimously, there have to be other opportunities to make changes that are closer to the edge, but could still pass.  I wonder what other change we could get through.  Also, the Med Center Drive bridge was nearly categorically the opposite of what this vote was calling for.  In that case, Council voted to expand the number of motor vehicle lanes, whereas here, they voted to allow lanes to be repurposed.  Why the difference?

Ken Clark

v...@umich.edu

Nov 9, 2023, 11:39:22 AM11/9/23
to Walk Bike Washtenaw
I heard some concern expressed that we'd end up with equalized traffic throughout the grid and that we're better served by having some fast, dangerous routes and some low-traffic ones. But, yeah, all voted for it.

I pointed out to several CMs that E Medical Center Drive is 4 lanes today, planned to be 5, and that I look forward to the City Administrator's plan to reconfigure the 5 lanes. I checked and the bridge portion is "under the City's jurisdiction." And Glen, another 4-lane road I'm afraid to use.

I'm tamping down the cynic in me, born and bred by the appalling E Med Center bridge plan, and am super hopeful and grateful to the CMs who put this together.

Tim Athan

Nov 11, 2023, 2:17:51 PM11/11/23
to Walk Bike Washtenaw
Regarding the concern that slowed routes will result in more neighborhood traffic:  Ann Arbor's master plan calls for reducing the intrusion of automobile traffic into residential neighborhoods, yet there certainly has been a steady increase.

I value the New Urbanism vision of high-density cities with reduced automobile dependence.  The tricky part is that the the multiple elements of successful New Urbanism need to all happen almost simultaneously.  Of course that is difficult to do, given all of the factors at play.

Ideally, when roads are being narrowed, mass transit is growing, and housing is coming available to allow commuters to live locally, and regional mass transit is being established (so that citizens can give up their cars without leaving themselves helpless to get anywhere else in the region), and wide-ranging retail is blossoming downtown so that a car is not required for shopping.

I think Ann Arbor is doing a good job of moving in the right directions.  But whenever one element lags there will be frustrated citizens.

I don't think that many average Ann Arborites have given up their cars yet.  I often get an earful from neighbors about how frustrated with the city they are because the measures done for traffic calming they regard as simply increasing the time they spend in their cars.