Switches

J Morris

Apr 1, 2021, 5:57:04 PM4/1/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Hello all, I work at a studio with an L2042 470 console. We've been looking for replacement switches. Some of them are (I think) 3.3 mm pitch, and I can't seem to find anything new in the market. Does anyone have a stash or some tips on where to get these?

Charles Beauregard

Apr 1, 2021, 7:28:10 PM4/1/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Very hard to find. I have good success repairing them. The problem is often the plunger that doesn't retain the spring. The switch contacts are usually fine or easy to clean (gold contacts). You can fit a 10-32 nylon washer that will hold the spring and just use crazy glue for the button.

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Charles Beauregard

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 7:24:19 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
So this is a big subject

And the Bain of so many problems.   ITT and shadow did such a disservice to every company who consumed their products.

99% of problems with WBS are actually with Shadow switches.

My advise has been to stock modules like an M498 or similar switching module.   They sell for zero bucks and have sometimes dozens of switches that can be re used.

You can disassemble the switch... Clean the contacts and re assemble.    It can break it during the whole process... So be advised it's not a fun job.   When you release the catch on the switch, it allows the plunger to come all the way out... Watch out... Tiny springs (smallest you've ever seen) can fly off.  Inside each switch are contacts and those springs.   They can be held and scrubbed... With the plunger out you can scrub the inside with a brush.  I should do a video about this....

To Charles's point, the most common issue is the spring capturing flange on the plunger breaks off... Fat heavy fingers.    There is no way to repair this, replacement is the only sustainable replacement.

Again, not all contact are gold... And flushing creates a pile up of shhhhmooo inside.... and some switches only use 1/2 the contacts so that can be installed // to a switch on the other side.  So silver contacts corrode differently.   I always ended up drilling a hole in the back of the switch allowing contact cleaner (mg super contact with PFE) to flow all the way through

Stock old routing modules.   That's been my trick to keeping them alive.

Anthony

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 7:44:20 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Search for M499 modules

Effectively garbage... Except for the many many switch plungers inside

rarely... And I mean rarely do I change the switch body.  I first attempt to repair then I resort to replacing.

On the L series there is a bank of three switches on the mic mic line... Brilliant design based on Schadow switches but when the switch is UP or out... It's passing audio.   So if one switch is gummy nothing works.   And that is frustrating, I know!

I remember it when I first got my first console nothing worked then a very very simple cleaning procedure brought 99% of it back to life I cannot stress how poorly built the ITT Shadow switches are and cannot stress how poorly they aged as a product.

Many production engineers and test engineers and design engineers fought with this problem and I would argue that it almost bankrupted Ward back because of serviceability and reliability issues.

There is a guy in mtl who considered doing a production run in them...

Anthony
M499.jpg

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 7:58:16 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Two types

f and G

G 0.131 pitch - uncommon

F 0.158 pitch These are common
WBSps.ca 20210320 - Scans (87).jpg
Screenshot_20210402-075539.png
Screenshot_20210402-075545.png

Ken McKim

Apr 2, 2021, 9:38:24 AM4/2/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hey,

Try these:

I believe Mouser also stocks the C&K F series, as well, but I can't navigate there on-line dropdown catalog from my computer.

Good luck.

As ever,
Ken McKim

Ken McKim
Owner, Trouble Report

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 5:57 PM J Morris <hey.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all, I work at a studio with an L2042 470 console. We've been looking for replacement switches. Some of them are (I think) 3.3 mm pitch, and I can't seem to find anything new in the market. Does anyone have a stash or some tips on where to get these?

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 10:04:26 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Thanks for contributing to this dialog!

Do note the original request was for l series console... None of the links you provided have F series compatible with the L series

C k only produces g series that are only used in the CH ON button on the L series... And to boot only 1/2 the switch is used to pass audio...

All the best

Anthony

Charles Beauregard

Apr 2, 2021, 10:39:46 AM4/2/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
I currently have two M470 on the bench. Here is how I fixed the switches with broken retaining spring flange : https://photos.app.goo.gl/26oLoaZ3cCLzevz47

--
Charles Beauregard
Technicien maintenance CDI

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 11:04:17 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Lovely Hack!

this will be the future of un-obtainable things...

Maybe next is a 3D print of the shaft including the cap...

Anthony

warren beck

Apr 2, 2021, 11:07:15 AM4/2/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com

The F series are still made by C&K.  A friend of mine in Montreal taught me a trick.  It is totally ghetto, but work quite well.

If the shoulders on the plunger have broken off, and the spring ends up on the button, and is thus useless as a switch, remove the plunger carefully.  Clean it, and all contacts first.  Then take a piece of paper clip, heat it up with your lighter (his studio is smoking centric), and skewer the plunger where the shoulders would have been.  This gives you a place against which the spring can rest, and still allow the original switch to be sued as a switch (until you can source a replacement from Mouser, etc…)

If interested I can share photos.

Thanks to Phil Pelleiter of Montreal for that one!

Regards,

Warren

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 11:08:55 AM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society

image.png
image.png
image.png
  • Like.audio
  • ( 416 ) - 939 - 5183

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

warren beck

Apr 2, 2021, 11:15:15 AM4/2/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com

Now that is a great idea.  A cap with a built in shoulder….

Regards,

Warren

Apr 2, 2021, 1:23:49 PM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
M499 modules Effectively garbage...   yes true

As for the touchy subject it prevented sales, lost deals, made costs prohibitive... ruined a reputation.   I wasn't there but I'm not ignorant...

Say that shit publicly

Respect

Anthony

  • Like.audio
  • ( 416 ) - 939 - 5183

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 2, 2021, 1:30:04 PM4/2/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
" ITT and shadow did such a disservice to every company who consumed their products."

how much more blame can one company take?

  • Like.audio
  • ( 416 ) - 939 - 5183

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 3, 2021, 8:28:24 AM4/3/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
16 minutes  long    I dislike editing

Simon Gauthier

Apr 3, 2021, 3:51:49 PM4/3/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Anthony!! Lots of great experience here!!

:)

Simon

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 3, 2021, 6:25:03 PM4/3/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
A pleasure    thanks for contributing

I found some pictures of what's under the M470 mic line modules...

Replacement is always my last resort

This one was replaced because the back stop tab was broken off while cleaning.

Anthony

IMG_5443.jpg
IMG_5436.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg

Ken McKim

Apr 4, 2021, 10:56:08 AM4/4/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

OK. Uncle! The pictures that are being circulated show something that looks, for all the world, like straight-up fit, form, and function F series switches. And although I can find one (and only one) instance where someone is selling a Series G switch, it too, looks an awful lot like an F series. I can't find any tech data anywhere on a "G" series switch, to be able to compare the two. So, my question is: what is the difference between what I see in the photos and a stock F series switch. I've been staring at these switches in all kinds of equipment for over forty years, and I didn't think there were any surprises left. Apparently, I'm wrong. Please do me a favor: edify.

Thanks.

As ever,
Ken

Ken McKim
Owner, Trouble Report

Charles Beauregard

Apr 4, 2021, 11:22:10 AM4/4/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
It's the space between the pins.
G 0.131 pitch - uncommon
F 0.158 pitch These are common

Ken McKim

Apr 4, 2021, 11:29:52 AM4/4/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Thanks for clearing that up. One other question: The W-B L series console requires the G series switch, at least in most instances???

++Ken

Ken McKim
Owner, Trouble Report

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 4, 2021, 11:46:27 AM4/4/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Depends on the location

For the most part they are G

The subs select and channel on are F

Anthony

Ken McKim

Apr 4, 2021, 1:19:53 PM4/4/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Well...at least they weren’t all Dialistats.
++K

Anthony Kuzub

Apr 4, 2021, 3:20:41 PM4/4/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
The real question we should have asked is: what's wrong on the module... Before going deeper than needed....

Speaking of switches... I found An old relic....