802(?) console in Yukon

ColinMuirDorward

Jan 29, 2022, 11:43:45 PM1/29/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Greetings WBS users,
I have on loan, or maybe by trade, what I believe is an 802 conolse. There are 8 input channels and some other modules on the right whose functions I haven't figured out yet. I believe one is an oscillator and the others are for routing configurations.
I have scanned through the document repository looking for a manual, or technical information about this console, but can't seem to find anything with "802" in the name.
Mine is identical to the unit in this sold listing: https://reverb.com/item/29476975-ward-beck-m480-side-car-console-mid-80-s
Regards,
Colin

Andrew Noonan

Jan 30, 2022, 9:41:07 AM1/30/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
It's likely a 1002, with 2 channels and the 2 masters missing.

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

marvco...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2022, 2:39:19 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
I would agree it’s a 1002.  Interesting it’s in the Yukon…. The last time I ever used a WBS  board was in the early 90s at the Arctic Winter Games in Whitehorse.   I have lots of fun times on WBS boards from a 96 input one down to this size.  They have an amazing headroom, and I loved the EQ on them.  Specifically the “Q” function in the mid range.   It made it easy to tune a drum kit. It is nice to see they are still a well respected console.

Sent from myMail for iOS

warren beck

Jan 31, 2022, 9:24:08 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear form you Marv!!

This model pre-dates the 1202 model, and is an early 70's console.  Perhaps a photo of a serial number and we can better date it.

Lovely little consoles!

Jan 31, 2022, 9:59:33 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies!
Yes I believe it is the M1002. This is the *Transportable* Audio Console, only 100lbs!

Also looks like the same frame as the T1202 model. The main difference being the i/o on the back of the 1002 consists largely of screw-terminals rather than xlr.

I finished reassembling the unit last night and and it seems to be mostly (fully?) working. The previous owner did do a rough job of modifying mic inputs 1 to direct outs for each channel.

I'll look for a serial number.

I haven't found schematics for anything in this exact model yet, hopefully they are in the repository.

Cheers,
Colin

warren beck

Jan 31, 2022, 10:11:25 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
you may not find any dwg's for these older beasties.  Serial numbers - each module will have a long rectangular paper own with green accents, or a later model unit will have silver metal foil ones.  Also in the meter bridge, on one of the end bells there may be a rectangular serial number label.

You can take a post fade feed form each channel (fully balanced of course) to direct out.  More than enough juice for you!

Jan 31, 2022, 10:40:24 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
There doesn't seem to be any serial number on the chassis or on the modules.

Attached are some pics of an M480 (not a, b, or c version) module.

I'm a little suspicious of the direct outs mod, and disappointed that they cut the wires connecting to the mic1 inputs, rather than simply de-soldering them.

Am I correct that the outputs on the 1002 are unbalanced? I'm a little confused since the faders are balanced... but the screw terminals (see image) are only giving me two contact points for each output (red and black).

Also, does anyone know what the "control" terminals are for? Just left of the screw terminals.

IMG_20220131_082101_1 (1).jpg
IMG_20220131_082134_8 (1).jpg
Pixlr_20220131082426357.jpg

warren beck

Jan 31, 2022, 10:47:58 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
yes you are correct a 480 straight.  Very early can for the transformer as well.  they were square like in the 460 but roughly half the size.  We went to a round can later.

To my limited knowledge these should be a balanced output.  I'll check with dad when I talk to him later today.  He may remmeber.  Eugene might as well for that matter...

So many people perform butcher jobs on consoles/equipment.  So un-necessary.

Oh and we never used blue knob caps.  FWIW

regards,

Wb!

Jan 31, 2022, 11:13:59 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
OK I did the smart thing and pulled out my voltmeter. I think These are balanced outs, where red/black are the +/-.
I suppose the idea is to connect with an open-frame patchbay, and just run a single connection to the green GND.

Voltmeter also confirmed that the direct outs mod was done wrong, so I'll need to fix that.
Would the edge connector pinout on the 480 modules be the same as on the 480a, b, c? I think so, eh.

warren beck

Jan 31, 2022, 11:43:19 AM1/31/22
to WB...@googlegroups.com
not certain, but lets look at you photos - on the third one you can easily see the voltages being at the bottom of the module, and the inputs at the top going to the transformer.  Just double check with a low signal, and you should be good.

Do you have access to the modules in the forum/Google Drive?

Feb 1, 2022, 9:49:03 AM2/1/22
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society