Lefty the Console

Caleb Lambert

Dec 7, 2018, 4:16:08 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
WBS enthusiasts, hello!
I brought a console project home and was hoping i could get some info and parts from the community here.

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 4:19:31 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Ask away

Caleb Lambert

Dec 7, 2018, 7:33:18 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Well, here's Lefty.
It was the left side of a 32 input console.
I got:
 the frame
the power supplies
16 x m460 input modules
8   x m463 submaster modules
24 x m468 buss switches
Some m450b summing amp cards
And thats about it.
Oh i got 20 faders.

I dont have frames for the power supplies.
I dont have a frame for the m450b cards.
I dont have any center section modules,
including master busses
or monitor control modules.
My meters are smashed.
Theres a lot of stuff i dont have..

I also dont have a manaul for this console
Or even a final plan for how id like to configure it.

But i do have......
lots of questions!

I guess my first question is,
Does anyone have a line on the racks for the power supplies?
Or the racks for the summing cards?

Thanks!
IMG_20181207_131756.jpg

Caleb Lambert

Dec 7, 2018, 7:58:44 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society

Question 2:

I need the bucket which will support 4 input modules. You can see the space
i need to fill on the right of the console. There was some sort of center
section in that space and i need to put input modules there.

Also, I need buckets to make a new "center" section on the left side of my
console.
Theres room for twelve modules. I have a little 2 module bucket in there
and need to accomodate 10 more modules

Caleb Lambert

Dec 7, 2018, 8:01:34 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
So question two is, anyone got buckets thatll fit my board?

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 8:21:05 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I do

8 bus center section - your M450 would feed this panel and from there you would create an LCR or LR... 8 faders below it.

Channel tray bigger than you need but it can be cut

Psu tray x 2    one is 3 ru and has no connectors     one is 2 ru and has more connectors than you need

bucket for the M450

6 pieces of un-obtainable metal and switches $500

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 8:21:37 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
big bucket can be cut
20181207_200608.jpg

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 8:22:20 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
piece under the left

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 8:21:05 PM UTC-5, Anthony Kuzub wrote:
20181207_200640.jpg

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 8:22:49 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
20181207_200702.jpg

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 7, 2018, 8:23:23 PM12/7/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
20181207_200524.jpg

Caleb Lambert

Dec 10, 2018, 12:30:13 AM12/10/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmHo1AXUwU_YbVSIeysX9GyS2LI

I hope that is a link to an Excel file of my
Original overview plan for Lefty.

It was going to have:

16 input channels
8. Sub master chs
4 mains,. St LR & alt LR

And also:
-6 sends, 2 for talkback, 4 for efx
-6 (or more!) Efx returns
-Working talkback, solo and pfl systems
-Monitor control for three sets of monitors
-Stereo source select from the mains and
subgroup pairs, and solo and pfl buss',
but also from some external sources, ipods, cd
player, a return from my DAW while recording

Iwanted insert points in the channel strips for regular +4 outboard gear.

So that was the plan, but now its time to revise the plan.

For starters there's that super bitchen controll pannel that youre sending me , Anthony. It takes up some realestate but could be practical.

Then im considering going with a 20:6 configuration. If the best way to bring my DAW and effects to the board is through preamps and I want to use 16 channels for recording, then ill need to shop for two or more input channels and pull sub group channels to make space..

How do i return effects to this board?

How do i sum all channels to the main buss?
With m450b cards? O

Anyways i could go on, but should not.
Plenty to ponder here .
\\m//,
Caleb

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 10, 2018, 11:37:23 AM12/10/18
to Caleb Lambert, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society, Kevin Lyver
Draw your workflow in Autodesk Eagle or google sheets.

Paper plans define everything.

Kevin Lyver has some of these for sale.  M463J for sale

They are summing and booster I think... they would feed the M1 M2 bus and also get your subs into the auxes.

Anthony

20181210_113313.jpg

Caleb Lambert

Dec 10, 2018, 11:56:08 PM12/10/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 11, 2018, 12:23:29 AM12/11/18
to Caleb Lambert, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
yeah that's a start!

now in the sheet design the patchbay and what feeds what

Flow will lead to a functional diagram

Caleb Lambert

Dec 11, 2018, 12:36:58 AM12/11/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I have the m463 modules.
And many of the send modules in this design, i can get from Benoit in montreal.

But I'd then be looking to aquire two more input channels,
A talkback module,
A cue send module or something for the solo buss,
And (fingers crossed!) Stereo source select modules...

Am I pointed at the target?
And would any of those parts be hard to come by?

\\m//,
Caleb

Caleb Lambert

Dec 11, 2018, 12:38:47 AM12/11/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Ok patchbay description coming right up!

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 11, 2018, 10:29:59 AM12/11/18
to Caleb Lambert, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
These modules

Send $100

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 12:38 AM Caleb Lambert <calebmea...@gmail.com wrote:
Ok patchbay description coming right up!

20181211_102856.jpg

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 11, 2018, 10:30:52 AM12/11/18
to Caleb Lambert, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I have a new this

And I'll put them with the rest

Caleb Lambert

Dec 13, 2018, 9:07:21 PM12/13/18
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Anthony, last year you mentioned that it was not possible to patch my DAW into the direct in of my m463 because it wasnt a buffered input.
Would an input transformer from a WBS little green giant input channel be useful for making buffered inputs for Lefty?

Anthony Kuzub

Dec 14, 2018, 8:28:04 AM12/14/18
to Caleb Lambert, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
The M463 has a direct Line in.  You Can't feed it mic level.

You can use that feeds the M463 but that would be in addition to the summing unless you had something to disconnect the bus.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.25.24 AM.png