R2K Cool Grey Console

Cameron Stav

Mar 14, 2021, 12:07:11 PM3/14/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I am looking for some ideas on how to go about repurposing one of my 2 consoles to better suit recording and mixing. I realize I could just put a 500 series rack loaded with pres/EQ ahead of the console, however, I am interested in seeing if anyone has any other ideas. I love using this console but I just wish it had the ability to effect the signal a bit more. I will upload pictures soon of what I've done so far with the routing and adding trs ins and outs.

Thanks,

CJ Stav
Stav Recordings

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 14, 2021, 12:55:52 PM3/14/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society

Also Details about the M249 EQ are in this manual here. Enough information exists that if you were really adventurous you could make your own!

All of these were "patched" using the euro connectors below... so everything had to be put IN LINE.

Note about the R249 is that the output is impedance balanced not differential.

Anthony

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 14, 2021, 1:01:50 PM3/14/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
All R201 Modules have an insert point... If you want flexibility remove the jumpers and install a 1/2 normal patch bay in that insert point.

M201 Insert Point.jpg

Anthony

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 14, 2021, 1:02:17 PM3/14/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Insert point note
M201 Insert Point.jpg

Cameron Stav

Mar 14, 2021, 4:13:59 PM3/14/21
to Anthony Kuzub, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
So if I wanted to make a few of the R249 EQ strips, I would need to find a company to make the PCBs right? This seems like the route I will go. Awesome idea about the insert points as well!

Cameron Stav

Mar 14, 2021, 4:19:49 PM3/14/21
to Anthony Kuzub, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Sorry. Just noticed the r249 is a line selector module. The 208 is what I would be looking to make.

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 14, 2021, 4:22:06 PM3/14/21
to Cameron Stav, Kevin Lyver, WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Yeah.  208.

Email Kevin, he may be willing to sell you the Gerber files... Saves you a lot of money.  Just send them off for PCB and you populate and make the fronts.

Knock yourself out

Anthony

Cameron Stav

Mar 14, 2021, 4:27:36 PM3/14/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Right on. Will do. Is the 208 the same as the 259 in the cool grey manual?

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 14, 2021, 4:39:16 PM3/14/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Likely identical PCB and circuit board

Different face plate

Cameron Stav

Mar 14, 2021, 7:58:24 PM3/14/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. I emailed Kevin. I will be sure to post any updates.