New group member—getting an WBS L2042

Bill Sallak

Mar 16, 2021, 12:35:01 PM3/16/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks for accepting my request to join, especially at what must be an exceptionally tumultuous time for Ward-Beck and WBS enthusiasts.

I will be coming into possession of a WBS L2042 console this summer, kitted out with 16 M470 preamp modules and 16 M472 EQ's. The comms/TV department at my university is rebooting their broadcast studio space and has basically said I can have the board, which is pretty cool of them. (I run the audio production program in the music department, so I'm always on the lookout for solid analog out-of-the-box options.)

I'd be interested in group members' opinions about how to best to use the board and/or its components. The fast and simple answer is to just rack up the pre's and EQ's as outboard units, but I'd rather restore the board and have it in a facility B or C room. I also might have resources down the line to expand the board's empty channels (can you use 460 modules in these boards? etc.).

Photos are attached. The unit looks pretty clean for being installed in 1986/87. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. The links lead to photos I took today. Thanks!

Bill Sallak
Associate Professor of Music, UW-Green Bay

Wesley Pence

Mar 16, 2021, 7:07:07 PM3/16/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Welcome, Bill-
Fantastic console and admittedly enviable for those of us that are having some difficulty locating recording modules for broadcast boards.

Also- I wasn't sure where to address additions to the group, but I'd like for my studio partner, Clint Stephenson to join the group. His email is-  jae...@mac.com.
Please confirm , or let me know if I should address this elsewhere.
Cheers.

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 17, 2021, 12:46:29 AM3/17/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
A nice era of console.   Great switches.
They always Needs a good cleaning :-)

Anthony

Bill Sallak

Mar 17, 2021, 10:22:03 AM3/17/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I definitely feel lucky!

Anthony, I'm looking through your YouTube videos and beginning to parse out which parts of a refurb/upgrade I could do myself. The LM201 --> OPA134 op amp replacement is something I'm confident I could do. So, questions:
• Any reason I couldn't do this op amp swap on the 470A (your video is 470R, I think)?
• Any reason I couldn't socket all of the op amps rather than solder them directly to the board?

I'm sure I'll have more questions about the relay and pot upgrades you describe in the video, and also phantom power—this board doesn't have it, but I have no problem using inline phantom power supplies if it's too tricky to install +48V on the board itself.

Thanks again, and happy scanning to Anthony,

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 17, 2021, 12:42:48 PM3/17/21
to WB...@googlegroups.com
Lots one could do

If you have some school R and D funds to support the preservation society,   I'm sure we could speak to it as a group.

Decoupling caps...
Stepped gains...
New aux pots... Etc etc etc

Did you find the console and module docs okay?

Regards

Anthony

--
The WBSps.ca is run by Canadians who appreciate Well Built Stuff

Manuals: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKczBIcDgzZkstUjQ

Photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/0B0yR0b5T78SKd2JnQzlrckY2bWM
---

Bill Sallak

Mar 17, 2021, 1:12:51 PM3/17/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I've been finding the documentation ok, in addition to the stuff that actually came with our console and was just on the shelf above the board.

All of those improvements would be something I'd be interested in (I think they were mentioned in the videos as well). I've got a budget for "lab improvements" that would go to this project; in terms of parts etc., it's no problem.

My state university system is super-weird and super-tight about where their money goes, so direct support of WBSps from those funds would be a real challenge. However, since this is such a specialized job, there might be a way to support Anthony et al. as (a) consultant(s). I'll need to do some research on that. My hope is that, confronted with "the alternative is to freight everything to Canada," my school would understand.

Bill Sallak

Mar 17, 2021, 5:48:16 PM3/17/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Quick update: Anthony, if you're amenable to doing a consulting thing, invoicing us through those means, and putting those funds toward WBSps, I've got sign-off from my dean to do that. Let me know if you want to work out particulars off-list or however.

Looking forward,

Charles Beauregard

Mar 18, 2021, 9:53:30 PM3/18/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
Definitely ones of the cleanest M470 I have seen. No broken switches ?

--
Charles Beauregard

Bill Sallak

Mar 18, 2021, 11:06:29 PM3/18/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I haven't gone through channel by channel yet (my TV colleagues still need it for the rest of spring semester; I'll take physical possession of it in May), but the only problems anyone has found in their normal work are some VU meters whose lamps have gone out. I'm sure there's something yet to find, but it basically looks to be in good shape. Also haven't heard the jackfield yet...though I'm sure all of those little holes pointing upwards have caught some dust or crud over time.

Looking forward,

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 19, 2021, 7:54:01 AM3/19/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
I can really do any consulting    (conflict of interest) but I can post publicly on the forum.   Post what you can and the group can walk you through almost anything

The bulbs are long gone, but there are some LEDs that can be retrofitted

Anthony

Bill Sallak

Mar 19, 2021, 8:20:59 PM3/19/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
All of this sounds good, and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read and reply. Once I get my hands on the console and get past the obvious cleaning and troubleshooting, I'll be back with some more specific questions.

Cheers,

Anthony Kuzub

Mar 19, 2021, 10:56:38 PM3/19/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
10bucks says it's not been cleaned in a while... there is a process and it's finicky

maybe your school could create a video for the WBSps.ca on how to clean them?

Anthony

Bill Sallak

Mar 21, 2021, 4:31:31 PM3/21/21
to WBSps - Ward-Beck Systems Preservation Society
This would work great—I am pretty sure it hasn't been cleaned in quite some time, and doing a series of videos (for separate steps) would be a great way to document it. It'll be a good chance to demo general console-cleaning techniques along with anything WBS-specific and/or finicky. I'm sure we can make this happen.