Problem with ESXI 8 decoder

Nguyen Cung (nguyencunq)

Apr 17, 2024, 5:51:07 AMApr 17
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Hi,

Can anyone help me with my decoder, I collect log from Vmware esxi and follow this blog : Monitoring VMware ESXi with Wazuh I copy decoder and rule form this blog to my wazuh manager but it seem not working. I realize that log in this blog start with "vmware-esxi:" and the decode is <prematch>^vmware-esxi: </prematch>. But my log is not have "vmware-esxi:". It like "2024-04-17T02:24:28.056Z host01 Hostd[2099203]: [Originator@6876 sub=Vimsvc.ha-eventmgr opID=c856dbbf-d496 sid=525db58f] Event 19932 : User dc...@127.0.0.1 logged in as VMware-client/6.5.0".

Md. Nazmur Sakib

Apr 17, 2024, 6:05:01 AMApr 17
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Hi  Nguyen Cung,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you check if you have used the out format ( <out_format>vmware-esxi: $(log)</out_format>  ) in the ossec configuration?

<localfile>
<log_format>syslog</log_format>
<location>/var/log/vmware-esxi.log</location>
<out_format>vmware-esxi: $(log)</out_format>
</localfile>

The  out_format   is responsible for adding the  vmware-esxi: at the starting of the log.

I hope this information helps. Let me know the update on the issue.

If this doesn't solve your issue, enable the archive log and share the output of this command.

cat /var/ossec/logs/archives/archives.log | grep " VMware " Activate the 'logall' option within the manager's ossec.conf file, as outlined in our Documentation:Wazuh Documentation | logall

This option will allow you to see all the events being monitored by your manager in the /var/ossec/logs/archives/archives.log file. You will then be able to observe the incoming log generated by your endpoint. After setting this option, restart the manager and check the archives.log file.

Note: Don't forget to disable the logall parameter once you have finished troubleshooting. Leaving it enabled could lead to high disk space consumption

I hope this information helps. Let me know the update on the issue.

Md. Nazmur Sakib

Apr 22, 2024, 4:58:32 AMApr 22
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Hi  Nguyen Cung,

Looking forward to your update on the issue.

Nguyen Cung (nguyencunq)

May 2, 2024, 4:16:22 AMMay 2
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Hi  Md. Nazmur Sakib,

Sorry for answer late. I fixed this issue, just my mistake not to read this blog carefully.
I build a Centos 7 for esxi log collector, install wazuh agent, focus this setting and this problem solved.

Thanks.

Jethro Mic

May 28, 2024, 12:13:31 PMMay 28
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Hello,

same problem in my test environnement: Wazuh 4.7.4 OVA, Ubuntu 22.04 with WA 4.7.4 and ESXI 6.5

Jethro Mic

May 28, 2024, 12:24:22 PMMay 28
to Wazuh | Mailing List
Only my command are logged corretly :