How to disable login authentication for kibana

Srikar Naramsetty

Aug 2, 2021, 8:18:09 AM8/2/21
to Wazuh mailing list
Hi,
I am using docker-compose file to bring up the wazuh environment. By default basic auth is enabled on kibana and I need to use admin/admin to login to kibana.

Is there a way I could remove the authentication?
I am able to access elasticsearch via http without authentication, but when I removed all the opendistro_security lines from kibana and changed the elastichost.url to http://.... instead of https://...
kibana is not starting. I keeps throwing the error
curl: (35) SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
Elastic is unavailable - sleeping
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0

Thanks for your help,
Srikar

Alfonso Ruiz-Bravo

Aug 3, 2021, 2:57:36 AM8/3/21
to Wazuh mailing list
Hello Srikarna,

- SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length

The most common cause of this is when some erroneous code was trying to redirect to HTTPS on port 80. This is the problem code section. It is located in the Kibana entrypoint:

As can be seen above in the same entrypoint, if we set the ENABLED_SECURITY variable to false and do not add the ELASTICSEARCH_USERNAME and ELASTICSEARCH_PASSWORD variables to the docker compose, the Kibana container will start without the security plugin:

With these changes you should be able to solve the problem.

Additionally, I would like to inform you that removing authentication is not the best option as you lose one more layer of security in your environment. If the problem is the use of the default admin:admin credentials, you can change them and use the ones you want, to do so, follow the steps in this Github comment:

Personally, I would keep the authentication and change the credentials to have that extra security.

I hope I have been helpful.

Best regards,

Alfonso Ruiz-Bravo