Setup for "like" and "want"

Little Cree Books

Sep 3, 2014, 3:07:01 PM9/3/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody have a really good setup for "like" vs. "want"? Please share! Our group only has very basic language right now (What's this? This is ______. Is this your/my ______? Yes/no, that is/is not your/my ________. ...and a handful of nouns).

Sky Hopinka

Sep 3, 2014, 4:15:16 PM9/3/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Caylie,

Like/want/need can be tricky, but introducing "like" is a good place to start and gives a good set up for introducing "want" later on.  It helps to start off your group introducing things that you like, and to ideally bring real examples with you that are obvious enough, and also to use TQ Make Me Say Yes/No, bring something you don't like.

Depending on the language deals with these concepts, and how far along your group is, you might want to limit to simple nouns rather than get into verbs, prepositions, articles, or whatever else could pop up.

An example format I sometimes use in a group circle or table game:

Person A tells the group to ask them "What do you like?" to give an example of the correct response format.

Group: What do you like?
Person A: I like coffee.  I like baseball.  I like bikes
Group: You like coffee.  You like baseball.  You like bikes.

Repeat it two more times- TQ In Threes

Now start TQ Same Rotation

Person A to B: I like coffee.  I like baseball. I like bikes.  What do you like?
Person B: I like cream cheese.  I like cars.  I like soccer.
Person A: You like cream cheese.  You like cars.  You like soccer.

Person A gives the signal for my turn/your turn to Person B

Person B to C: I like cream cheese.  I like cars.  I like soccer. What do you like?
Person C: I like...I like...I like...
Person B: You like...You like...You like...

Person B gives the signal for my turn/your turn to Person C...and so on.

After everyone goes and is ready for the next bite size piece, introduce what you don't like:

Person A to group: I like coffee, BUT I do not like cats.
Group: You like coffee, BUT you do not like cats.

Do that In Threes, then start Same Rotation with Person A to B, B to C, etc.

Slipping in the words "and" and "but" are options, and that's dependent on how well you think the group has a handle on the target phrases and concepts and how they are used in the target language.

Also, if you're all sitting in a circle, get up to get these objects.  It's another way of showing that everything in the room/building/outside is fair game for being language learning tools and encourage them to get up and find something, or get something out of their bag or car or where ever else.  Which is beneficial for language hunting later on.

Another thing to think about is trying to find all the translations for the words people come up with in their "like" list, or you could just have them pantomime the action or say the english word if there's no translation and to help reinforce the idea being to express what they like without being overwhelmed by a ton of new nouns.

Personally, I get them to pantomime, if I know the word I tell them, and if not I come back with the words in the target language the next session.  It keeps things moving, doesn't fill them up, and helps establish TQ A Few of My Favorite Things and that provides a good base for introducing want/have/give/take later on.

But remember, you've got to sell how much you like this thing that you're holding or talking about, and you've got to sell how much you dislike the other thing.

This is just an example, and doesn't always work in every situation, so I'm definitely interested in hearing about others methods for teaching this sort of thing.

Sky

:: You are subscribed to the "Where are Your Keys?" Google Group. http://groups.google.com/group/wayk