WAYK in Mexico

Benjamin Bruce

May 31, 2023, 6:55:45 PM5/31/23
to Where are Your Keys?
Howdy folks,

I know things are pretty quiet around here, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I am starting to get into WAYK and am really excited about it. Since the project appears to have gone dormant since the pandemic, I'm just soaking up all the videos, blog posts, and podcasts and trying to learn all I can despite not having anyone to teach the method to me in person.

I live in Mexico, where there are 68 indigenous languages spoken, all of which are endangered to some extent. I really think WAYK could make a difference here as it has in the US and Canada.

I led my first ride the other day with some kids who I have been teaching English. They loved the new class format, and I think their favorite TQ was "How fascinating" (maybe because they were calling it on me whenever I got the signs mixed up!)

Is anyone else currently using WAYK? Any success stories you'd like to share?

Benjamin Bruce

Or Halimi

Jun 2, 2023, 3:36:29 AM6/2/23
to Where are Your Keys?
Didn't hear anything from them after the pandemic. So I am not sure everyone is around.
If you managed to grasp the system beyond the basic I would love to hear your findings

It sounds so fun to be in part of their summer camp
ב-יום חמישי, 1 ביוני 2023 בשעה 01:55:45 UTC+3, benjami...@gmail.com כתב/ה:

Benjamin Bruce

Jun 10, 2023, 8:40:12 PM6/10/23
to Where are Your Keys?
I'll be glad to keep you posted. The videos, etc. are useful but I am learning the most by just doing it, and after every lesson I do a debrief with myself to identify what I can improve for the next lesson. Currently I am teaching English as mentioned previously, and my next experiment will be to teach my wife Nahuatl. If I can get her to the level I am currently at in the language, I will count that as a success.

Yes, the summer language intensive sounds amazing. Hoping the WAYK team returns someday to bring it back.