WAYK in the Flemish dialect of Ghent/Belgian Dutch

Thomas

Aug 17, 2014, 9:26:41 AM8/17/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It's been a while since I posted here, though I kept reading the board with a lot of interest. I managed to finish a USC for Gents, the dialect of the city of Ghent, with the translation in English and Belgian Dutch (while I use standard Dutch, the vocabulary is Belgian and might be considered substandard in written language). I also finally obtained a webcam, so I am available to do some online wayk-sessions if you like, though it would seem, my internet will be horribly slow until thursday. I can teach Dutch/Flemish/Gents, French (and English), and maybe basic German and Spanish. I also have basic knowledge of Flemish Sign Language. (Which might cause my signs to be slightly different), and would love to learn whichever language.

I also plan to organise weekly conversation tables in the city of Ghent (probably to talk Belgian Dutch though), though these plans aren,t concrete yet. And WAYK will be at least a part of the event. (Maybe I can later also introduce these in the GGK (Ghent's Sign Circle) and the Gentsche Sosseteit (Society of Ghent's dialect))

Cheers, and I would love to hear your input :D

Thomas
wayk.pdf

Joel Thomas

Aug 17, 2014, 1:25:28 PM8/17/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Nice going. I like the USC, I think it's natural and Obvious. Are you going to be teaching the Ghent dialect to people who already speak Flemish? If so I expect you'll steam through it... They'll be learning Flemish Sign Language and Ghent at the same time, 2 in 1!

Will you be making any videos of your conversation tables?

:: You are subscribed to the "Where are Your Keys?" Google Group. http://groups.google.com/group/wayk

Thomas

Aug 20, 2014, 10:59:34 AM8/20/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
The first conversation tables I will organise will focus teaching Dutch/Flemish to expats. Lacking the material to do so, I will probably not film (at least not at first instance).

Teaching the Ghent dialect to flemish speakers, should indeed go pretty fast as similarities with Dutch could be compared to similarities between Dutch and Afrikaans or English and Scots. The grammar, which is more complex than Dutch grammar, is still partly used in the local Dutch idiom, pronunciation is fading a little, but can easily be taught, the unique vocabulary would be the main challenge, but the focus shouldn't be on it as voc tends to slow things down. The dialect is in fast decline, but luckily it still has quite an influence on the local spoken language (once the grammatical influence would disappear, the similarity might actually make it harder to learn the dialect)

Joel Thomas

Aug 26, 2014, 3:11:20 AM8/26/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
So when are you getting started?

Thomas

Oct 9, 2014, 12:25:29 PM10/9/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com

So far I have organised 3 conversation tables. Though in the last edition all participants were semifluent, and I didn't really know how to use wayk in this setting, hence we stuck to New Amigos. In the first edition I had quite a few beginners and Wayk worked fairly well with them.

At the same time I started skype-teaching my girlfriend, who is Ecuadorian and currently studying in holland. The biggest issue I encountered is that it is very difficult to get myself and the objects in a good camera frame. But she is doing remarkably well, even correctly using different sentences (that have occured at a different stage of the game)to reply my questions, rather than using the same words. I have noticed that I automatically deviated away from the USC I built up, not introducing 'geven/krijgen' after 'willen', but rather going to 'mogen'. Three classes in we've talked about themes ranging from 'what', yes/no questions, yes/no questions regarding possession, have, want, may, where, here/there, prepositions, position verbs. Something I notice though is that she tries to translate (be it usually correctly, so I am hoping she will realize that she doesn't need it), as well as write things down (though I am not teaching her any spelling, so I guess it would be fascinating to read what she wrote), and not call full even when I ask her.
The biggest challenge today though was the adverb 'terug' which showed up at some point, and I had the hardest time to explain it over skype, I think she might understand it now, though I quickly decided to switch to different subject after.

Nevertheless she appears to retain a lot, and tomorrow I'll go there in person, we'll see how it goes :D