How-To for WAYK Beginners

Adam Macknight

Sep 1, 2022, 10:11:27 AM9/1/22
to Where are Your Keys?
Hey all! I'm looking for the simplest, most straightforward explanation of how to play a very basic game of WAYK. Just the absolute bare bones: the goal of the game, the number of players, the props involved, and the rules. Thanks!

Joe Dupris

Sep 1, 2022, 11:23:52 AM9/1/22
to wa...@googlegroups.com
waq lis ?i Adam,

Have you taken the time to watch  this video on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/27057735? This crash course has helped me work on the languages of my community (Klamath and Modoc, looking at Paiute soon). When I use this set-up sometimes it's referred to as a "classic" because it's over a decade old.

sepk'eec'a,
Joe

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 8:11 AM Adam Macknight <amack...@philasd.org> wrote:
Hey all! I'm looking for the simplest, most straightforward explanation of how to play a very basic game of WAYK. Just the absolute bare bones: the goal of the game, the number of players, the props involved, and the rules. Thanks!

:: You are subscribed to the "Where are Your Keys?" Google Group. http://groups.google.com/group/wayk

Adam Macknight

Sep 1, 2022, 1:20:15 PM9/1/22
to wa...@googlegroups.com
That's useful, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me, but a full, written guide with step-by-step instructions would benefit my students and I the most!
best,
Adam MacKnight
Spanish Teacher
Frankford High School
google voice # 267-702-3177

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Where are Your Keys?" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wayk/CAAnASoFuraHMM%3DMPfur%3DiktA7xdWfh4%2BHn7Bs_PHJJRrHCHXrw%40mail.gmail.com.

Leif Schmit

Oct 16, 2022, 12:51:39 AM10/16/22
to Where are Your Keys?
I put together some ideas for WAYK games a while ago when I was thinking of practicing Spanish with my students. It has some written explanations of games that are demonstrated in the videos on the WAYK website as well as comments and suggestions I've found around the internet and in this list. Maybe it'll help!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fqx2x66paoRlZlDZuyI3bcVtW2E3gx3JfClYoCQpGiI/edit?usp=sharing

The thing about WAYK is that from my understanding(speaking as a fan who hasn't done any of their programs or internships before) it's VERY open-source and doesn't really have a fully written out instruction manual anywhere? The tutorial videos and the explanations of the TQ's on the website are the best written documentation right now, along with the Universal Speed Curriculum https://drive.google.com/file/d/1srlJi_TiP1X2EugUnihyQGPE_qgaezpd/view?usp=sharing

If you're looking for a full step-by-step instructions, I would recommend checking out Language Hunters and the Language Hunt game set. That system has a fully flushed out instruction manual, cards, and board that I've had some success using with kids! https://www.slideshare.net/willemlarsen/language-huntboardgame2014-sb

Best,
Leif Schmit
SDE Facilitator
Village Free School | Portland, OR, USA