Learning WAYK from video, some things not explained, need help!

Select

Mar 22, 2015, 11:53:22 AM3/22/15
to wa...@googlegroups.com
I found out about WAYK when the new Vivaldi browser announced a translation into Lojban (https://vivaldi.net/blogs/teamblog/item/15-weekly-snapshot-1-0-129-2) and then snooping around their site I found a link to WAYK.

After exploring the site for a bit I watched the video where Evan explains the core game. While I was watching it I found it fascinating how fast I was picking up these signs so it id definitely a great showcase to convince people of the game. But here are some points that I did not understand/like

  • It is never explained who talks/interacts at what time.
    (does everybody repeat/copycat the whole time, when is the word handed over to the next person, are there no formal rules, if yes an example with several people would help where this is explained)
  • Are the craigs list terms and other technique gestures shown in the video all that is needed to start?
  • How are they extended? Any strucured overview of techniques and craigs lists anywhere?
    (Could not find them, I was looking for something like: To start the game use technique 1,2,3 with CL 1,2,3 now extend with technique 4, extend CL 1 with ...)
  • Do I have to imagine my own gestures for words of objects (stone, stick, ...) that are newly introduced (smartphone, apple,  ...)?
  • Does every word need a gesture or just the CL and technique words?
  • The charlie language proficiency part at the end is interesting but I do not understand why it was so long and how It helps to explain the basic rules of the game?
  • Any other video recommendations to get me started?

Znex

Aug 10, 2015, 3:18:10 AM8/10/15
to Where are Your Keys?
Heyo fellow WAYK discoveree! Sorry this is a bit late for someone to be replying to you, but I thought I might as well since a lot of your questions have been stewing over in my mind for a while.
  • It seems to me from looking up videos that it varies according to group and time, but that the idea is that each person has a turn handing a bite-sized bit, but it's still encouraged to copycat and watch whether it's not your turn or you're looking in from the lunatic fringe.
  • Pretty much, and there's another beginner's techniques list under Resources on the main site,although other techniques come in handy later as you go along. On the main site there's now a whole Technique Glossary you can look from and use according to your need.
  • Again it seems to vary. CL's again may be used as necessary, but a lot of it is sheer creativity and thinking about what the guys you're playing with can handle at each stage. The "Obviously" technique comes to mind as a general principle as to what to introduce and when. Set ups can be a good starting point for figuring out what words to use (eg. some big rocks and some small rocks can be used to illustrate size and quantity, or a number of different fruits can be used to illustrate both those and colour).
  • You can do, but there are sites (they're now listed up on the main site under Resources) that have lists of different ASL signs. Alternatively you can also adapt signs from different sign languages, so long as it's Obvious what the sign means in the context of the game.
  • Not necessarily, although it's most useful for learning new words you introduce. It can also be helpful just for some integral sentence components in understanding how sentences are put together. eg. A set of WAYK videos I found teaching Irish use a separate sign for indicating a question, because Irish has a distinct word that marks a question. It's not introduced as part of a CL, it's just a helpful way of understanding how the question structure works.
  • The Charlie language proficiency meter I think is just a way of measuring how much people are on top of things in the language. It seems to be most useful in game for when you have players of different language skill coming together and helping the leader to understand where everyone is at and where they can go. eg. There's a special technique, "Sorry, Charlie", a player can use when a game is going way over their head and it helps everyone just to understand what's going on for everyone, not just the ones who do understand what they're saying.
  • The Irish WAYK videos I found are here, although they're more for learning Irish than for giving an indication of how WAYK games work in real life. I found a number of Sky Hopinka's Google Video sessions teaching chinook wawa, that were really useful since it seemed like they're closest to the real thing (although hampered by the whole not being in the same place learning), although I'm not sure if I can share those. Other than that there's also a collection of WAYK videos on Vimeo of WAYK sessions at different stages, although I felt they were sorely limited in content (the longest videos are only a bit longer than ten minutes).

Znex

Aug 10, 2015, 3:51:10 AM8/10/15
to Where are Your Keys?
Also the really early chinook wawa videos with Evan and Sky on Vimeo strike me as useful as they're another exploration of the basics and the rationale behind the different features of WAYK as a game. (They start from here)