WAYK in Nuxalk

Dale McCreery

Feb 12, 2016, 11:00:10 AM2/12/16
to Where are Your Keys?
So - I've tried WAYK before in Nuxalk, and it worked great, but we didn't get it to go that far. Now we've taken another stab at it, created a webpage with all the signs we'll be using:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/473020/sign%20language/sign%20language%20files.html  - I just copied and renamed the videos from handspeak.com and have them in my dropbox so we can use them in the classroom and the teachers can sort of learn at the same time as the kids....
Now - this list of signs is actually based on the general curriculum outline we've made for the first level of teaching our language, so might only sort-of be relevant for the early WAYK activities.  Looking at the various Craig's lists and such has actually been really useful in our recording and documenting, and I was curious if someone has compiled the signs for the craigslists, or if I should just go and do it again for us.

I'm finally really getting the way in which WAYK avoids having such a strong heirarchical teacher/student relationship and am hoping we can use it to give all the learners some real sense of agency!

Dale