Same Conversations?

Khelsilem

Oct 31, 2014, 4:22:06 PM10/31/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
For TQ: Same Conversation, what are the same conversation topics or even full on scripts you have developed? I find this to be one of the most useful techniques for building fluency (as opposed to proficiency) in a language.

Topics I’ve discussed as a same conversation have been
  • Drinking Tea; Making Tea; Gathering Things for Tea
  • When did you arrive? Who did you come with?
  • What did you bring for dinner?
  • Are you coming to the party next week?
I wanted to hear from others and get some ideas for more Same Conversations to build.

What do you do or have you done?

Sky Hopinka

Nov 2, 2014, 2:00:41 PM11/2/14
to wa...@googlegroups.com
TQ: Same Conversation is TQ: A Few of My Favorite Things!  Same Conversation paired with TQ: The Walk is really helpful.  Going on the exact same walk every time, as far as route, and building from there.  Even going on the walk during the same time of day is helpful, and during those off chances you go some other time it'll give you something to talk about.

TQ Walk/Same Conversation highlights:
Where do you want to go?
Let's go to the coffee shop.
What do you want?
Do you want coffee?
No, I want tea.
You got coffee last time!
Now I want tea.
How much is it?
etc.

Very much the same as Same Conversation, but with the added benefit of the movement the walk provides while also qualifying TQ Be Here Now.

What also helps guide the Same Conversation is the aforementioned TQ: A Few of my Favorite Things.  For the teacher pushing language, finding something that the learner is interested in or is habitually doing (sports, drinking coffee/tea, favorite tv shows, hobbies) is a good starting point for Same Conversation because it's something they know about, are invested in, and like talking about.  As the learner becomes more proficient, or actually as soon as they're ready, they can also ask about the teacher's favorite things and together build upon the Same Conversation.

Side note - TQ: The Walk doesn't necessarily have to be a Same Conversation, and can be used as a break from more classroom based rides, but I am partial to most learning happening on a walk, though that is more difficult when you're with a large group, as distractions become more exacerbated and new player's full meters tend to fill faster.

sky

:: You are subscribed to the "Where are Your Keys?" Google Group. http://groups.google.com/group/wayk