Pull Request: Revamp the UI of the top UI

Peter Warrington

Feb 23, 2018, 4:45:23 PM2/23/18
to Wave Protocol
I have submitted a Pull Request on Github. Please see https://github.com/apache/incubator-wave/pull/27

I have revamped the UI of the top bar to make it more visually appealing as can be seen in the screenshots below.

I made the following changes:

  • Put the logo into centre and removed "Wave in a box" text.
  • Put "Online" and "Saved" status indicators underneath the address of the user.
  • Put the Language option and the Sign-in button into a jquery UI Settings dialog.
  • Removed the border on the top bar.
  • Changed the background colour of the main app.
Screenshot

Peter Warrington

Feb 23, 2018, 4:54:20 PM2/23/18
to Wave Protocol
Whoops! Meant to send a Pull Request to wave-protocol/incubator-wave. New Pull Request at: https://github.com/wave-protocol/incubator-wave/pull/1

xirt us

Mar 20, 2018, 11:11:42 PM3/20/18
to Wave Protocol
Amazing work. I do love that Qt sort of look, I wonder if you would consider trying a font like Lato. This design is true to form a honest testament to the Google Wave design. Does it have to be? The recent website redesign has sparked my interest in a new look. The flat metro web ui is universally alluring.. the color of the menus are more soft than the bright blue, something like #456D79? beautiful.

-Andreas Nicholas
Message has been deleted

xirt us

Mar 21, 2018, 12:21:53 AM3/21/18
to Wave Protocol
I made this based on your design with a few thoughts in mind, I apologize for the simplicity.

a few things I think wave needs from everything learned from the matured Google UI

1. centered titiles
2. flattened windows
3. changed colors towards the human interface away from proto windows xp look
4. uniformity with google ui
5. revised android / qt toolkit
6. mobility compliancy

-Andreas Nicholas

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 4:45:23 PM UTC-5, Peter Warrington wrote:
I have submitted a Pull Request on Github. Please see https://github.com/apache/incubator-wave/pull/27

Zachary Yaro

Mar 21, 2018, 10:49:30 AM3/21/18
to xirt us, Wave Protocol
I think it would be more valuable to first separate server and client code and then create a separate Material Design client.

If such a project starts, I would like to submit for consideration some mock-ups I did several years ago for a Material Design mobile interface for the Rizzoma wave platform, as well as a desktop Material redesign.  I would love to see some of those design changes made available to Wave In A Box, but I would also like to separately have this client that retains similarities to “classic” Google Wave.

More importantly, while you and I might not be fans of the Google Web Toolkit, there will also be developers who prefer GWT over whatever framework you prefer, and being able to develop multiple clients separately would allow those different developers to contribute to the wave ecosystem (and help ensure the wave server-client protocol remains does not get coupled to one client).

Zachary Yaro