WAV Travel News - Tuesday Edition

Bill Vervaeke, CDME

Apr 28, 2015, 9:45:23 AM4/28/15
to wav-daily-travel-newsletter
In case you missed these news stories.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME
9065 Bay Harbour Circle
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 795-5912 (Office & Facsimile)
(561) 318-9089 (Cellular)
(Primary E-mail) Jus...@GMail.com

(Alternate E-Mail) Jus...@Outlook.com
For archived issues or to opt into the WAV Travel Newsletter go to:

Clothing-optional cruise part of 'nakationing' boom

Cruisers in the buff

On the ocean, in the nude

Clothing is optional on this cruise, but sunscreen is a must

"Nudists attract nudists," cruise organizer says

Well this certainly makes packing easier.

Sunscreen will be essential but clothing optional on a cruise that sets sail from Port Everglades in November. Up to 3,000 people will float through the Caribbean in their birthday suits for seven nights.

Want to soak up the sun in the buff? Want to dance topless in the disco? Go for it.

The cruise, organized by Bliss Management of Coral Springs, is part of a growing clothing-optional tourism industry — everything from cruises and organized tours to about 250 resorts and clubs, according to the American Association for Nude Recreation in Kissimmee.

"Nudists attract nudists," said Nancy Tiemann, president of Bare Necessities Tour & Travel Co. in Austin, Texas, who has arranged clothing-optional cruises for 25 years. "They're laid back, friendly and unpretentious."

That company's signature event — The Big Nude Boat — sailed from Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 12 on the 2,170-passenger Celebrity Constellation.

"The only thing we change onboard is the dress code," Tiemann said. Cruisers must wear clothes in the main dining room and specialty restaurants, but "anywhere else on the ship they can go without clothing when not in port."

She has another nude cruise leaving Port Everglades on Feb. 6, again aboard the Constellation.

Tiemann is a former banker who left the corporate world in 1990 to start the business with her husband, Tom, an attorney. Since then, her company has arranged more than 65 full-ship charters, ranging from 148 people to 3,000.

Tiemann herself became a clothing-optional convert by accident decades ago after stumbling onto a nude beach in the Caribbean with her husband while in her 30s. Her first instinct was to leave, but the couple opted to try it out.

"It was such a freeing experience," Tiemann said — more than going topless as she had before.

Others seem to share the feeling.

The number of nude cruises increased from one 500-passenger ship in 1992 to 45 cruises and 30,000 people in 2010, the American Association for Nude Recreation says. Thirty percent of those people are first-time nudist cruisers.

Clothing-optional tourism does $400 million to $450 million in business annually, the group says — more than double the amount in the early 1990s.

"We had a record year in 2014, and we're growing," said Donna Daniels, co-owner of Castaways Travel in The Woodlands, Texas, who has spent 31 years in the travel business.

Companies like Castaways and Bliss charter the boats from big cruise lines like Celebrity Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America Line. The trips, for the most part, are like any other cruise, except for the attire.

"The people who do this are very confident people in high stress jobs, and they're successful," Daniels said. "They want to get so far away from everything and don't even want the stress of clothes."

Daniels lists bank CEOs and federal agents among her customers.

Tiemann said 70 percent of her customers return for another cruise, higher than the industry average of about 62 percent.

Today, she said, more people are finding the clothes-free experience to be a "stress reliever and equalizer," as egos are checked at the door along with the clothing. "It's much more than just taking our clothes off."

That might be especially true on November's Bliss Cruise.

The adults-only cruise is marketed to "swinger couples, nudists, voyeurs and exhibitionists," according to its website, blisscruise.com.

Its nightly themed extravaganzas will include a Roman Orgy Toga Party and, in lieu of formal night, an AntiFormal and ABC (Anything But Clothes).

"Duct tape, Saran wrap, feathers … get creative and come ready to play," the website says.

The cruise, departing Nov. 29 aboard the Celebrity Silhouette, is geared toward "sexually-open and adventurous" people and will offer opportunities for partner swapping among consenting adults, a spokesman said.

But there are rules: Sexual activity is allowed only in designated areas such as cabins and "play rooms," the website says. Nudity is allowed on four decks, but clothes are required in bars and restaurants, and you must wear a robe or cover-up in hallways and elevators.

Already, 80 percent of the cabins have been booked, with prices starting at $1,000 per person for an interior room. Organizers expect the ship to be sold out by May.

If you miss this cruise, don't worry. Another Bliss Cruise is planned for Nov. 27 to Dec. 4, 2016, and two more are in the pipeline for the spring and fall of 2017.

Cruise companies increase focus on pricing discipline

Cruise lines have long been loath to depart from the traditional business model of sailing at 100% occupancy. But recently they have started to test moves away from that paradigm.

In the latest attempt by cruise lines to break the cycle of last-minute discounting to fill ships, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Chairman Richard Fain said that starting in March, the company had stopped cutting prices on close-in sailing dates for all of its brands, including Celebrity and Royal Caribbean International.

Last-minute pricing discipline has become increasingly important because cruise lines admit that late discounting undermines their marketing assertions that only by booking early will passengers get the best fares.

“Depending on the type of cruise, that last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out,” Fain said in a conference call with Wall Street analysts. “But from that point on, we will hold our price at the prior level.”

Fain’s pledge applies only to North American itineraries and excludes the two- to four-day cruises, where last-minute sales are part of the typical booking dynamic.

Fain conceded that in the short term, it would mean that some RCCL ships would depart less than full. But he said that in the long run, price integrity would boost the brand and lead to higher revenue.

“It was really important to strengthen our brand, because in the long run it is our brand that is going to drive our yield improvements,” Fain said.

In the third quarter of 2013, Carnival Cruise Line adopted a strategy of holding firm on pricing even if its ships sail at slightly lower occupancies.

“We believe this will make Carnival’s pricing recovery more achievable as we move through 2014,” Carnival Corp.’s then-vice chairman, Howard Frank, said at the time.

Other lines, while stopping short of a pledge to halt last-minute discounting, said they have been doing everything possible to persuade customers to book cruises earlier.

“We don’t have a specific pricing promise, but I can absolutely tell you that our goal is to raise pricing as we get closer to sailing,” said Andy Stuart, president of Norwegian Cruise Line. “It’s a philosophy that my boss, Frank Del Rio, has lived by — a strategy of marketing to fill rather than pricing to fill.”

The time could be ripe for such a strategy. One factor driving last-minute discounting has been the glut of capacity in the Caribbean over the past 12 to 18 months. But starting this month, industrywide capacity in the region began to shrink year over year. With some berths shifting to other markets, cruise lines might have a better shot at maintaining a no-discounting model going forward.

Fain said last-minute discounts have a disproportionately large impact on sales efforts.

“They upset many of our most loyal customers by creating an uncertainty about the prices they pay,” he said. “They cause headaches for our travel agency partners, who don’t know what price they should rely on, and they undermine our brand image.”

Some travel agents have taken note of the philosophy shift at several lines.

“I think Norwegian and Royal are both trying to discount less,” said Debbie Fiorino, senior vice president of CruiseOne/Cruises Inc.

Fiorino said that agencies doing business under the CruiseOne/Cruises Inc. banner have more business on the books for 2016 than they did for 2015 at this point last year, and efforts to encourage early bookings by the cruise lines was one reason.

Other agents said Royal still has room to improve its policy.

“Almost all of our price-drop issues occur in the 30- to 60-day window before sailing, when everyone who booked early is in penalty because that is when Royal is most aggressive,” said Don Baasch, president of Last Call Cruises in the San Francisco Bay area.

Vicki Freed, Royal Caribbean International’s senior vice president of sales, trade support and services, said that by eliminating last-minute discounts, Royal expected to affect the whole psychology of the purchase decision, encouraging earlier action at every stage of the booking cycle.

Beyond eliminating discounts, several lines said they were taking a variety of steps to encourage early booking. These include announcing itineraries earlier, opening ships for booking further in advance and using yield management to encourage early demand.

Rick Sasso, president of MSC Cruises USA, said a new pricing structure introduced at MSC last year was meant in part to encourage early bookings.

“We came out with very aggressive group pricing, which is typically your most advanced cycle of bookings,” Sasso said. “It allows you to be fuller sooner. Then, you come out with an added-value pricing strategy. That has probably become the basis of what most lines are trying to do. So you’re not discounting the price, you’re giving more added value.”

Fain said it is too early to measure the success of the change in close-in discounting practices. But he indicated that the policy is here to stay.

“We think that getting our customers out of this sort of used-car-salesman type of mentality will be good for the brand, good for their experience and therefore lead to larger yields in the long run,” he said.

Wall Street analysts responded favorably to the idea.

In a note to investors, Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Rachael Rothman wrote: “While holding near-in price will cause near-term pain, given it is too late for [RCCL] to make up the difference by marketing its 2015 itineraries earlier, we believe this is the appropriate strategy to reinforce the brand image and improve profitability over the long term.”

Patrick Scholes, an analyst with SunTrust Robinson Humphries, said benefits from Royal’s move could be widespread.

“Getting rid of the ‘used-car-salesman mentality’ and eliminating last-minute deals dovetails with [Frank Del Rio’s] New Deal at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and could buoy the industry at large,” Scholes said.

American Eagle paddlewheeler launches on Mississippi

Inline image 3

NEW ORLEANS — In a ceremony held on the bow of American Cruise Linesʼ new American Eagle, Cheryl Landrieu, wife of New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, smashed a bottle of champagne against the shipʼs rail, formally christening the lineʼs second Mississippi riverboat.

As guests watched from the forward decks of the ship, there were speeches from Mitch Landrieu and American Cruise Line CEO Charles Robertson as well as a patriotic a cappella concert by a local trio called the Victory Belles.

Shortly thereafter, as a downpour drenched the Big Easy, the vessel sailed off on its maiden cruise, a-seven night roundtrip Lower Mississippi voyage calling at Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi; and St. Francisville, Baton Rouge and Vacherie, Louisiana.

Boasting the largest staterooms of any Mississippi riverboat, the American Eagle and its 2012-built sister ship, the Queen Of The Mississippi, have accommodations that range from 200-square-foot cabins with picture windows to 600-square-foot owners’ suites with large private balconies. Of the 84 all-outside staterooms, 78 have balconies that are accessed via sliding glass doors.

The two 150-capacity vessels are the first new paddlewheelers to join Mississippi cruise service since the 436-guest American Queen, now operated by rival American Queen Steamboat Co., was launched in 1995. A third, as yet unnamed vessel with a capacity for 185 guests is expected to join American Cruise Lineʼs Mississippi fleet next year, Robertson revealed.

The American Eagle has five passenger decks and a wide range of facilities, including a showroom; two large, aft-situated lounges; the intimate library, card room and chart room; a putting course; an open-air terrace with exercise machines; open and shaded deck space; a complimentary self-service launderette; three computer terminals; and free WiFi access throughout the ship.

Palm Beach County residents join lawsuit fighting All Aboard funding

Two Palm Beach County residents joined Martin County in a federal lawsuit filed Monday to block All Aboard Florida from getting money it calls a “linchpin” to finishing its express passenger rail line.

Thomas Hewitt, who lives in Jupiter’s Admirals Cove community, and V. Michael Ferdinandi, a Palm Beach Gardens resident in Frenchman’s Reserve, are named plaintiffs in the lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The 35-page complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, challenges the department of transportation’s December approval of $1.75 billion in private activity bonds to All Aboard Florida on two counts; that the tax exempt bonds were illegally granted before the completion of an environmental impact process, and that the project doesn’t qualify for private activity bonds.

“DOT’s allocation of private activity bonds to the project — the largest PAB allocation to date — is improper, unjustified and unlawful because the statute on which DOT purports to rely does not authorize the use of private activity bonds for this type of project,” the lawsuit states. “DOT appears to be trying to fit an elephant into a mouse hole.”

“Our position is they don’t have the authority to approve this,” said Martin County Attorney Michael D. Durham, whose office has been working with Washington, D.C.-based attorney Steven Ryan to fight the private rail project.

All Aboard Florida plans to run 32 passenger trains per day between Miami and Orlando on the Florida East Coast Railway right-of-way with stations in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. While widely supported in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, many Treasure Coast and northern Palm Beach County residents are opposed to the project.

Martin County’s lawsuit follows one filed March 31 by Indian River County, which aims also to block All Aboard Florida from getting private activity bonds.

But it’s believed to be the first time Palm Beach County residents are named plaintiffs in an anti-All Aboard Florida suit.

Ferdinandi is on the steering committee of the Citizens Against Rail Expansion _ a group of Treasure Coast and Palm Beach County communities fighting All Aboard Florida.

“For us, it’s a quality of life issue as well as a safety issue,” Ferdinandi said.

A U.S. Department of Transportation spokesman said it does not comment on active litigation.

Indian River County on Monday filed a motion in its lawsuit for a temporary restraining order that it hopes will delay a pending vote by the Florida Development Finance Corp. to act as conduit issuer of All Aboard Florida’s $1.75 billion in tax exempt bonds.

WAV: Okay technically this is not a travel story. But, it is a story worth reading. It is time to get rid of all forms of discrimination.

Parent co. to print gay wedding invites after franchisee refuses

SUWANEE, Ga. — The young couple wanted really special invitations made up for their wedding, something that looked like a train ticket to fit with the railroad theme of their big day. So bride-to-be Paige Beckwith turned to a Suwanee printer who’d been recommended to her.

But the printer rejected the job because of his religious beliefs, the parent company of the printing business said Monday.

Beckwith is gay.

Beckwith Monday told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she didn’t want to comment any more on the matter.

The printer, Alan Akins, a franchisee of AlphaGraphics, told The AJC: “We never discriminated against anyone, for any reason. Never do.”

He would not elaborate further.

However, a company spokesman at AlphaGraphics confirmed Beckwith’s story.

The company also released a statement: “We do not condone discrimination of any kind, and wish to make clear that customers of any race, religion, nationality, ethnicity or sexual orientation are welcome at our franchisees’ locations nationwide. We also wish to apologize to the customers who were impacted by the actions of this franchisee, and hope that our response conveys the level of commitment we feel toward upholding our company’s standards of inclusion, and that all members of the Suwanee community continue to feel welcome at AlphaGraphics.”

In addition, the company offered to do the invitations at no cost to the couple.

Details of the alleged incident surfaced just days before a hearing scheduled for Tuesday before the U.S. Supreme Court.

JetBlue beats 1Q profit forecasts

JetBlue Airways tops 1Q net income expectations, meets revenue forecasts

LONG ISLAND CITY, N.Y. (AP) _ JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) on Tuesday reported first-quarter earnings of $137 million.

On a per-share basis, the Long Island City, New York-based company said it had net income of 40 cents.

The results topped Wall Street expectations. The average estimate of 10 analysts surveyed by Zacks Investment Research was for earnings of 39 cents per share.

The airline posted revenue of $1.52 billion in the period, matching Street forecasts.

JetBlue shares have climbed 24 percent since the beginning of the year. The stock has more than doubled in the last 12 months.

Nepal prime minister: Death toll could reach 10,000

Nepal's prime minister on Tuesday said the death toll from the devastating earthquake that rocked the country Saturday could reach 10,000, and the United Nations says that an estimated 8 million people have been affected.

Prime Minister Sushil Koirala made the statement to Reuters as he appealed for tents and medicine and ordered rescue efforts to be stepped up. International aid has started arriving in the country.

The death toll from the 7.8-magnitude quake has soared past 4,400, officials said, and tens of thousands have been made homeless. Many are sleeping outdoors out of fear of being inside amid aftershocks.

Among those killed are 18 people who died on Mount Everest after the quake triggered an avalanche that buried part of the base camp at the world's highest mountain. At least 61 people died in India and 25 were reported dead in Tibet as tremors from the quake rippled across the region.

"The government is doing all it can for rescue and relief on a war footing," Koirala told Reuters. "It is a challenge and a very difficult hour for Nepal."

The death toll and the number of injured — which the United Nations puts at nearly 7,000 — is expected to rise as search-and-rescue teams reach remote areas in the Himalayan country.

American doctor Rebecca McAteer, who is working in the quake zone, told the Associated Press that most rural people were working in the fields when the earthquake hit close to midday, meaning they escaped injury when buildings collapsed.

"In some villages, about 90% of the houses have collapsed. They're just flattened," she said. "The immediate need is getting support to where it's needed, but there will be a lot of work rebuilding."

Thomas Meyer, an engineer with the International Nepal Fellowship, added: "This is a long-term emergency," the news agency reported. "This will need major attention for the next five years. People have nothing left."

A U.N. situation report says that 1.4 million people are in need of food, according to early indications.

"Of these, 750,000 people live near the epicenter in poor quality housing," the report said. "Impact on agriculture-based livelihoods and food security is expected to be extremely high."

The United Nations Population Fund warned that hospitals in the Katmandu Valley are overcrowded, while the Injured are being treated in the streets. Women and girls are especially vulnerable, the fund said.

"The Fund is particularly concerned about the fate of pregnant women who have been affected by this tragedy, including those who might face potentially life-threatening complications," said Babatunde Osotimehin, UNFPA's executive director.

Emergency workers were being deployed and dignity and reproductive health kits were on the way to the country, the organization said.

Toddler's tantrum deemed a "security breach," gets family ejected from flight by counter-terrorism unit

Call it the Law of Earshot, but generally, our sympathy for parents of crying children on flights is that much greater the further we find ourselves seated away from them. While there will always be folks who hate having a crying baby onboard, it’s hard not to feel sympathetic towards the plight of this family recently booted from a London-bound plane for having a particularly tearful baby.

Ariella and Mark Aziz, along with their 19-month old daughter Sarina, were returning home from Tel Aviv on a charter flight run by the low-cost Dutch carrier Transavia. Sarina, who had been seated comfortably in her child seat, became agitated when cabin crew insisted she be placed in the lap of one of her parents. She threw a tantrum, trying to get out of the connector belt required for children under the age of two, and things pretty much went south from there.

The family was unable to calm the child down, and the flight attendants were reportedly less than pleased. One steward reportedly was particularly incensed. Mark Aziz told the Daily Mail:

“He was standing over me shouting and it felt like he was trying to provoke me. I felt very threatened; he was saying ‘you’ve got to sort it,’ and that he would not help as it was not his problem.”

Instead of waiting for the infant to calm down, the cabin crew reported the child to the pilot, who more or less pulled the equivalent of, “I swear if you kids don’t shut up, I’ll turn this plane around!” Actually, that’s exactly what the pilot did, claiming there had been “a security breach” before hitting the brakes and sending the Aziz family packing. A counter-terrorism unit escorted the family off the plane.

Speaking about the incident, Ariella Aziz told the Jewish News Online:

“It was like a terrorist incident. I couldn’t believe it. The next thing you know were are all in squad cars heading back to Ben-Gurion (airport).”

A spokesperson for Transavia said it would not be compensating the family, adding:

“It is very important that flight safety instructions are followed by all our passengers. It was unfortunate that the child was ill, but even then the flight safety rules must be followed.

We cannot take passengers on a flight if they do not follow the rules.”

Passenger Ben Wasserstrum, who witnessed the episode, had this to say to Jewish Online News:

“The family were unbelievably restrained given how the crew were acting – if it was me I’d have punched the guy. It was a disgrace from start to finish.”

While punching a flight attendant is never a good idea, and travelling with a baby is not always easy, this whole event seems like it got blown out of proportion. In any case, this is one PR nightmare that Transavia must surely wish it could silence today.

Sensors in airline seats could let flight crews know if passengers are ill or afraid

Inline image 2

Last week, three passengers fell unconscious, seemingly without warning, during a United Express flight to Hartford, Connecticut. There have also been countless cases of terrified passengers who just hope they can make it to their destinations without chewing through their tray tables. The flight crew should be notified in both situations, but what if the passenger is incapable of pressing the call button – or is simply too embarrassed to do it? That’s where the FlightBeat would come in. This system, designed by students at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, would rely on heartbeat sensors built into airline seats to keep flight crews updated if a passenger was having a health scare or just an all-around scare.

Inline image 1

The FlightBeat app would display real-time results on a color-coded cabin map (similar to the one that let you know that the one seat you really wanted to book was $25 more) during every stage of the flight, from taxiing to the runway, takeoff and landing and even disembarking from the plane. The sensors within the seats would use software that translates heartbeats into emotion states, allowing the crew to constantly monitor which passengers might be anxious, ailing or – potentially – even plotting an attack. The students explained to Inflight-Online

The technology for heart rate sensors in the aircraft seating works much like a traditional ECG. The advantage is that you do not have to attach the sensors directly to the human body, which is the case with traditional ECGs. The seat sensors are capable of reading the heart’s electrical impulses through clothing and are able to use ones natural contact with the seat to maintain a reading.

There are some obvious privacy concerns and passengers would be able to opt in or opt out by pressing a button at their seat. Although FlightBeat is still in the concept stage, the project was given to Industrial Design Engineering students by Zodiac Aerospace (Yes, the airline toilet people) and KLM Airlines allowed the teams to conduct interviews with active cabin crews.

FlightBeat sensors might not show up in an airline seat anytime soon, but it’s an intriguing idea, whether to allow crews to keep a (virtual) eye on everyone during long flights or – like last week – when an otherwise routine trip ends with an emergency landing in Buffalo.

Police Seize Pot and Crack Cocaine at LaGuardia Airport

Traveling through the airport can be a terrible experience at times, but it was even worse for a New York man who was busted with drugs as he was waiting for his flight on Saturday.

According to NBCNewYork.com, 55-year-old Bronx resident Kelvin Smith was arrested Saturday at LaGuardia Airport in New York City after screeners found one of his checked bags was leaking and smelled of marijuana at around 11 a.m. ET.

Upon calling the police, the authorities arrived and searched the bag. Upon opening the luggage, officials found a large quantity of marijuana and identified the bag’s owner. Smith was waiting at the terminal for his U.S. Airways flight when police found him and immediately placed him under arrest.

After taking Smith into custody, police officers found a second bag from Smith and discovered even more marijuana and 2.8 ounces of crack cocaine. In total, the two pieces of luggage contained 18 pounds of marijuana, according to the report.

Police officials confirmed to NBCNewYork.com that Smith would be charged with “first-degree criminal possession of marijuana and second-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.”

Drug-related offenses are nothing new to Smith, though, who had 41 prior drug convictions in his life before his arrest Saturday, according to the report. It was unclear whether Smith had an attorney yet.

Norovirus Outbreak Reported on Coral Princess

Princess Cruises’ Coral Princess arrived in Los Angeles today after reporting that 71 passengers and six crew members reported gastrointestinal symptoms during the April 12-27 voyage.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said onboard tests confirmed the illness was caused by norovirus.

A CDC environmental health officer will board the ship to conduct an assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response. Princess confirmed there was an "elevated incidence of gastrointestinal illness" but said "by the end of the cruise, there were no new cases of ill passengers or crew members."

Still, in response to the outbreak, Princess increased cleaning and disinfection procedures, kept passengers and crew informed, and consulted with the CDC on sanitation plans, including a staged disembarkation for active cases to limit transmission.

Cruise ships are required to report the total number of gastrointestinal illness cases evaluated by the medical staff before the ship arrives at a U.S. port when sailing from a foreign port. A separate notification is required when the gastrointestinal illness count exceeds 2 percent of the total number of passengers or crew onboard, and the information is publicly posted when the number exceeds 3 percent.

The 71 passengers reporting vomiting and diarrhea on the Coral Princess comprise 3.63 percent of the 1,958 guests onboard. The six crew members are 0.68 percent of 881.

It is the fifth norovirus outbreak on a cruise ship this year. A sixth outbreak was reported on the Norwegian Pearl March 26-April 6 but has not been confirmed as norovirus.

The Coral Princess is moving to Alaska in May to operate seven-day “Voyage of the Glaciers” cruises between Vancouver and Anchorage.

Uber Mistake Leads to $12K Charge for Brooklyn Woman

The convenience of Uber and other ride-sharing services is sometimes surpassed by the frustration of inevitable technological glitches.

Look no further than Jaime Hessel's nightmarish ordeal, which began back on March 28 when she dialed up an UberX ride to take her less than six miles from her East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to Midtown East, Manhattan.

Despite numerous errors and some unprofessional behavior exhibited from the driver (things like driving in the bus lane, checking voicemails and ignoring directions), Hessel was able to get within a block of her destination in just over a half an hour.

But, according to Gothamist.com, after contesting her $56.40 charge for the tumultuous trip and being told she would receive a $15 credit, a decimal error resulted in Hessel being charged an eye-popping $12,000 for the ride.

"I received two e-mails yesterday," Hessel told Gothamist. "One about the status of my credit saying it should be there, it's been processed. And then a second e-mail saying they are trying to charge me $16,000, but then $4,000 had already been taken care of, so I owed them $12,000."

Fortunately, her credit card on file had expired and she was never charged.

Nonetheless, the disconcerting balance remained on Hessel's account while she exchanged emails with Uber Support.

"They contacted me late last night and said, 'We're sorry for the mixup. We've cleared the outstanding charge, you'll still receive your $15 adjustment.' But I had already explained to them that I don't want to give them my new credit card information. If my card hadn't expired when it did, they could have easily charged my card $12,000," Hessel told Gothamist.

An Uber spokesman has since apologized for the mishap and confirmed that Hessel would receive a full refund.

Regardless, the incident is undoubtedly a bad look for Uber and may have cost the company a customer.

"I don't know if I'll use it again," said Hessel via DNAInfo.com. "Maybe I'll do it if it'll be somebody else's credit card."

SeaWorld to add 'tallest, fastest, longest' rollercoaster

SeaWorld Orlando is to get a new attraction next year, described as the 'tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster in Orlando'.

The ride will be 200 foot tall and will have a sea creature theme, SeaWorld said in a brief media release.

More details will be announced in late May, the company said.

SeaWorld teased with the announcement: "Get ready for the frenzy of SeaWorld Orlando's new 200-foot-tall coaster. In 2016, this thriller will take its place atop the food chain as Orlando's tallest, fastest and longest coaster."

The ride will reach speeds of 70 mph and measure more than 4,400 feet in length.

However SeaWorld's new attraction won't be the tallest ride in Orlando for long.

It will eventually be eclipsed by the proposed 570-foot vertical coaster 'The Skyscraper' which is planned for International Drive in 2017.

SeaWorld said it continues to aim for a more diverse range of attractions but will still focus on marine mammal experiences despite the post-'Blackfish' hostilities.

The news raised investor sentiment with SeaWorld Entertainment stock up 1.7%.

Scott Smith, a hospitality professor at the University of South Carolina doesn't believe a single roller coaster addition on its own will be able to turn around SeaWorld's fortunes.

"Building a roller coaster is not going to make enough of a splash to offset the competition," Smith said.

"SeaWorld needs to really figure out what their brand is and what it stands for. If they want to switch and become a rides park, we're talking millions, if not billions, of dollars in investment to get them to the level of the Disney and Universal parks."

American Airlines giving all club lounges a makeover

American Airlines is about to commence what it describes as the most expansive lounge makeover in its history.

Work will begin with the refurbishment of Admirals Club lounges at Phoenix Sky Harbor International and São Paulo International airports.

American will start construction on lounges in Miami, New York JFK, Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles later this year, followed by other key cities such as Chicago and London over the coming years.

The carrier said all lounges will eventually be renovated.

The redesigned clubs will have new custom-made furniture and artwork representing each individual destination.

Each will offer enhanced connectivity with more power outlets and USB ports.

"In the future, when our customers see an Admirals Club sign anywhere in the world, they'll know they'll find a reliable, modern space where they can charge their devices, grab a bite to eat, get caught up on work or unplug from the world around them," said Fernand Fernandez, American's vice president of global marketing.

"Our goal is to create spaces that are more in line with how people live and spend their time today."

The renovation program will also mean expanded space in some of the lounges, American said.

The refurbishment program is part of American's $2 billion customer experience upgrades announced at the end of 2014, which include cabin upgrades and fleet renewal, expanded Wi-Fi and enhanced culinary options both in the air and on the ground in the Admiral Club lounges.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME

May 5, 2015, 8:11:00 AM5/5/15
to wav-daily-travel-newsletter
In case you missed these news stories.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME
9065 Bay Harbour Circle
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 795-5912 (Office & Facsimile)
(561) 318-9089 (Cellular)
(Primary E-mail) Jus...@GMail.com

(Alternate E-Mail) Jus...@Outlook.com
For archived issues or to opt into the WAV Travel Newsletter go to:

Royal Caribbean to offer Suite Class in 2016

Royal Caribbean International is working on a Suite Class package of amenities and will roll it out sometime in 2016, President Michael Bayley said.

Speaking aboard Quantum of the Seas at Vacation.com's annual conference last week, Bayley said the general idea was to make it an all-inclusive product. Royal Caribbean spokesman Harrison Liu said the exact list of all-inclusive elements was still being determined.

Bayley was president of Celebrity Cruises when that line conceived its Suite Class. The category became operational last month on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition.

Suite Class provides a tiered system of benefits. All guests in Sky Suites and above have exclusive access to the Luminae restaurant. Those in Celebrity, Signature, Royal, Penthouse and Reflection suites have exclusive access to Michael’s Club, a lounge that was originally a pub-style venue on Celebrity ships.

Celebrity guests in Royal, Penthouse, and Reflection suites have additional complimentary benefits, including a premium beverage package, unlimited specialty dining, unlimited Internet access and access to a mini-bar stocked with beer, soda, and water daily.

Bayley said Royal Caribbean's Suite Class is intended for the high-value customer.

Guests staying in senior-level suites on Royal Caribbean ships already get numerous privileges and benefits, including priority check-in, Concierge Club access on select ships, tender priority on select cruises, VIP pool deck seating where available, and private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on Voyager- and Freedom-class ships.

Senators express concern over airline customer data use

Concerned that personalized pricing would enable airlines to charge two people a different price for the same seat on the same flight, six U.S. senators have asked the Department of Transportation to look into Resolution 787, which laid the groundwork the for New Distribution Capability (NDC).

NDC is designed to enable airlines to use what they know about travelers to present them with a variety of services and products the airlines think they would be willing to buy.

But the senators, all Democrats, are concerned that airlines could use personal information to provide residents of an affluent zip code with lower airfares because that could prompt them to travel more, but not provide those discounted fares to consumers living in less affluent zip codes. Conversely, they said, airlines could use that information to charge frequent business travelers higher prices.

The senators, led by Edward Markey (D-Mass.), wrote in a letter to Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx that the DOT has rightfully prohibited airlines from using information based on “race, creed, color, sex, religious or political affiliation, disability or national origin” to discriminate against customers.

But, they wrote, the department did not decide if using other demographic data, such as income, marital status and trip purpose, could be unreasonably discriminatory or unfair. It left that decision to “future determination.”

That, the senators said, “opens the door for airfare vendors to possibly engage in these forms of discrimination.”

On top of that, the senators said that Resolution 787 doesn’t do enough to protect consumers who opt not to share personal information from being penalized with higher prices.

“We are concerned that airlines could penalize consumers who do not provide personal information, as well as engage in discriminatory pricing with customers who do share their information,” they wrote.

Other senators signing the letter to the Department of Transportation were Cory Booker (D-N.J.) , Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.)., Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), and Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)

​(WAV: A bit esoteric - Just say'n)​

Choice Hotels unveils new ad campaign, logo

Inline image 3

Choice Hotels International on Monday announced a new advertising and marketing approach that will target both business travelers and millennials.

The campaign includes a new logo, a redesigned website and a televistion-advertising campaign featuring The Clash’s 1982 hit “Should I Stay or Should I Go?”.

Choice says its website has been redesigned to better allow users to make reservations from multiple types of devices.

The company franchises more than 3,500 hotels across several brands: Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Quality, MainStay Suites, Suburban, EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, Cambria and Ascend Collection.

New York-Bound Woman Put on Wrong Flight to Barbados

Most travelers would be thrilled to touch down in Barbados.

Unfortunately for JetBlue Airways passenger Azizgul Hussainzada, she wasn't looking for a vacation. Instead, she thought she would be landing at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport before catching a connecting flight to Rochester, New York.

Hussainzada was heading home from visiting her daughter in Oakland, California, when she was put on the wrong flight, despite not having the proper boarding pass, according to CBS New York.

"When she got off in Barbados, she thought that she was in Rochester," said the woman's son, Noorullah Maqsoodi. "And she was like, what happened to Rochester? This looks a lot different."

But even in May, one would be hard-pressed to mistake Rochester for the eastern Caribbean, and Hassainzada knew something was wrong when she was asked for her "papers" upon landing, according to Patrice Walsh of WHAM ABC 13.

The mishap has been attributed to a language barrier. Hussainzada requested boarding assistance in Oakland, but doesn't speak English.

Nonetheless, Maqsoodi commented to CBS New York that JetBlue "told us that she's in JFK waiting for her flight" when asked about Hussainzada's whereabouts. "But she was in Barbados," said Maqsoodi.

"That’s what’s really puzzling is the fact that she didn’t have a boarding pass and how she managed to get on an international flight and fly out of the country," said Maqsoodi.

JetBlue apologized for the inconvenience and refunded Hussainzada's airfare.

"...Upon discovery of the issue, JetBlue crewmembers in the air and on the ground did everything possible to comfort and assist Ms. Hussainzada and to expedite her return to her family," said the airline in a statement via Walsh. "We are now in the process of connecting with Ms. Hussainzada's family to provide further assistance and support."

The airline is now looking into the incident to see how Hussainzada was able to board an international flight without the required documents.

Grand Canyon National Park Visitor Dies in Fall

Visiting the Grand Canyon is one of the most unforgettable experiences in a traveler’s life, but tragedy struck at Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona on Thursday when a man fell to his death.

According to Kody Acevedo of The Arizona Republic, 29-year-old Juan Carreras-Soto was visiting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon when he fell 400 feet off the cliff east of Mather Point at around 4:20 p.m. local time Thursday.

Mather Point is near the national park’s visitor center and is one of the first locations tourists stop to witness the majesty of the Grand Canyon.

Rescue personnel using helicopters were able to discover his body, but the crew determined that Carreras-Soto had passed away. The terrain, time of day and safety concerns made a recovery impossible Thursday, but the victim’s body was recovered on Friday morning.

The early investigation into the death determined that the fall was an accident, but the National Park Service and Coconino County medical examiner are still putting the finishing touches on the case.

Tragedies at Grand Canyon National Park are an all-too-common occurrence. According to USA Today, about a dozen people die at the park each year. Falls, river mishaps and natural causes are the most common reasons for the tragic events.

In total, 4.8 million tourists visited the Grand Canyon last year.

Zipcar Adds Seven New Airport Locations in the United States

The concept of a car sharing service sounded outlandish just a few years ago, but the growth of companies like Zipcar has helped the service blossom into one of the fastest growing parts of the car rental industry.

According to Zipcar, the company has once again expanded, this time to seven new airports, including Augusta Regional Airport, Griffiss International Airport, Monterey Regional Airport, Newport News /Williamsburg International Airport, Orlando International Airport, Tampa International Airport and Tri-State Airport.

With the addition of the new airports to Zipcar’s already extensive list of partners, the company now boasts relationships with over 50 airports across the United States. Zipcars can be found in the company’s branded parking spaces at participating airports.

Some of the vehicles available for rent include the Volkswagen Golf, Toyota Prius and Ford Focus.

Zipcar President Kaye Ceille released a statement about what makes Zipcar such an interesting option for people who travel a lot or don’t want to own a vehicle:

“Zipcar makes it easier than ever to live without owning a car, and that includes providing a simple and convenient way to get around when you travel by air. Whether you are in town for a short business trip, or you're stuck at an airport for a long layover, Zipcar offers the flexibility and freedom to explore the surrounding area on your time and in your way.”

While it is true that Zipcar users have to pay a membership fee and the cost of a rental car—prices start at $9 per hour or $69 a day—the cost includes gas, insurance and 180 miles per day, something many other rental companies do not offer.

The addition of seven new airports brings the company’s total number of vehicles to over 10,000, but it is the fact that the company allows renters to be 21 years old instead of the traditional 25 years old that has made this business model a success with younger people.

US court dismisses lawsuit by United Airlines against a 22-year-old entrepreneur

CHICAGO, Illinois - United Airlines and Orbitz filed a civil lawsuit in November against Aktarer Zaman, a young computer protg from New York City who founded an airfare website, but the case has been dismissed by a Chicago court.

Zaman launched a website called Skiplagged.com, which helps people buy cheap plane tickets by exploiting differences in airport fees.

Chicago Judge John Robert Blakey of the Northern District Court of Illinois said the court didn't have jurisdiction over the case due to the fact that Zaman didn't live or do business in the city.

The dismissal "is definitely a victory," Zaman said to CNNMoney. "It is pretty amazing the court just shut them off."

But United spokeswoman Christen David said "the decision was a ruling on procedural grounds and not on the merits of the case", without indicating whether the airline would continue to pursue legal action.

Zaman's Skiplagged.com takes advantage of something called "hidden city" fares, where it might be cheaper to book a flight with a connection, and then never fly the second leg of the trip.

The site, for example, finds flight itineraries with a connecting layover that are cheaper than a direct flight, but with the layover city as the final destination. Passengers therefore book a ticket from A to C, when in fact they only intend to fly to B, but the overall price is still cheaper than a direct A to B fare.

The only drawbacks are that 'hidden-city fliers can't check bags as they would go to the final destination, while flights can only be booked as one way itineraries.

The site is extremely popular, however, with more than 1-million visitors in April. This popularity has led United and Orbitz to sue Zaman for "unfair competition" and "deceptive behaviour".

Orbitz wanted to recoup US $75,000 in lost revenue from Zaman, even though the 22-year-old makes no money from the site. Orbitz settled their portion of the lawsuit in February, but United has kept fighting.

"We remain troubled that Mr. Zaman continues to openly encourage customers to violate our contract of carriage by purchasing hidden-city tickets," the United spokesperson said following the court ruling.

Zaman makes no revenue from the site and has had to raise US $79,000 through a crowdfunding site to help pay for his legal defense.

He supports himself through savings and loans, but says he is interested in talking with investors once the legal disputes are fully settled.

Zaman told CNNMoney that he expects United to file another lawsuit in a different jurisdiction. "The cynic in me says this is an uphill battle," he said. "I'm not going to let my guard down."

United Airlines has launched a number of lawsuits and anti-competition allegations recently amid falling market share. The airline is one of three large US airlines (United, America and Delta) that have attacked Middle East airlines flying between Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha and the United States.

United and its allied carriers accuse Emirates Air, Qatar Airways and Etihad of uncompetitive behaviour as they've allegedly received state subsidies. The airlines refute the claims and say United, Delta and American aren't able to compete as they offer an inferior product.

Bag fees boost airline profits by billions

The airline industry racked up a record $6.4 billion in bag and change fees during 2014 according to newly released data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

Bag fee revenue was up 5.3% year-over-year to $3.5 billion last year, led by Delta Air Lines which generated $875 million followed by United with $651 million and American Airlines with $574 million.

It was also a banner year for change fees with nearly $3 billion in combined revenue, a yearly increase of 5.7%.

Extra fees for change fees, checked bags and other 'perks' such as extra legroom seating started becoming ubiquitous in 2008 and revenues have steadily risen since then.

Fee happy Spirit Airlines generates more than a third of total income from extra fees, while at Southwest Airlines, which still allows passengers to check in bags and change most tickets for free, makes just 5% in extra fees.

The American Association of Airport Executives took the opportunity to highlight the hypocrisy of the airline industry.

Airports have been lobbying Congress to increase the Passenger Facility Charge from $4.50 to $8.50 to fund infrastructure projects at the nation's airports, a move which is strongly opposed by airlines.

"For the second year in a row, the airlines have collected more in bag fee revenue than the federal government has spent on airport infrastructure across the entire nation," said AAAE president Todd Hauptli.

"It's time for Congress to turn the page on this debate and act in the long-term best interest of local communities and the nation by modernizing the Passenger Facility Charge program."

Tampa firm promotes ‘José Martí Trail’ as tourist destination

Inline image 2

A pedestrian walks past the Parque Amigos De Jose Marti Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 in Tampa. A delegation from Cuba, in Tampa for rare talks on cross-Caribbean cooperation, slipped away for an hour to see the haunts of Jose Marti - the Cuban revolutionary who made Tampa his second home in the late 1800s

TAMPA — The Tampa area already struggles against Orlando, the top tourist destination in the world, to gain a share of the visitors who come to spend money in Florida.

Soon, Orlando will begin competing for one of the attractions that makes Tampa unique in Central Florida — regular flights to and from Havana. They begin this summer, flying each Wednesday.

But a Tampa public relations firm is working on giving this region an edge, at least with its Cuba connection: The “José Martí Trail,“ a tour of spots in Tampa linked to the man whose role in winning independence from Spain earned him the nickname “The George Washington of Cuba.”

Martí will never be Mickey Mouse or the Miami nightlife when it comes to drawing tourists, but he has a following. And recent political developments may enable Tampa to cash in on it.

Growing normalization of relations with the Communist nation includes an easing of the travel ban.

Trips between the countries for purely tourism reasons still are prohibited. But people in the U.S. can visit Cuba now, so long as they fit one of 12 categories of travel — including cultural-education programs.

TuckerHall, an international public relations firm headquartered in downtown Tampa, hopes travel services that already put together educational trips to Cuba will add Tampa to their itineraries, featuring the pivotal role the city played in launching the revolution Martí inspired.

“You cannot fully learn about José Martí and the war of independence without learning about Tampa,” said Bill Carlson, president of TuckerHall. “So why not visit both?”

There’s no sign anyone is doing it already. TuckerHall kicked it off with the launch in April of a website, www.JoseMartiTrail.org, built around a map that features 11 stops of significance to Marti’s life and cause.

It’s a pro bono project for TuckerHall. The firm has no plans on getting into the Cuban travel business.

“Others can make money off of this,” Carlson said. “Our goal is simply to market Tampa. We need to give people a reason to choose Tampa as its gateway to Cuba.”

In time, the company aims to erect historical markers at each stop and add audio to the website so tourists can listen to a walking tour on their mobile phones or tablets.

Perhaps owners of buildings on the tour will allow small exhibits, Carlson said. New stops will be added as scholars alert the company to other historical possibilities.

Martí’s planning and early fundraising for the 1895-1898 War of Cuban Independence took place in Tampa, primarily Ybor City. People in Tampa, some of Cuban descent and some not, were inspired to accompany Martí to the island nation to fight by his side.

Among the stops on the Martí tour is the “El Pasaje” Cherokee Club building at 1320 Ninth Ave., where Martí once stayed. It is now an office building for Radiant Oil Co.

Then there is the Vicente Martinez Ybor Cigar Factory, where Martí deleivered one of his most famous speeches in support of Cuban independence. It is now the Ybor City headquarters for the Church of Scientology.

And José Martí Park is at 1303 Eighth Ave., once the location of the home of Paulina and Ruperto Pedroso, who saved Marti when he was poisoned by would-be assassins from Spain. Today, a statue of Marti is erected there.

In June, this bond between Cuba, Martí and Tampa may grow stronger when Albert Fox, executive director of the Tampa-based Alliance for Responsible Cuba Policy Foundation, brings Rafael Polanco to Tampa.

Palanco is head of Cuba’s Jose Marti Cultural Society, a non-governmental organization dedicated to preserving and spreading the history of the freedom fighter throughout the world.

Fox said the society has chapters in 92 countries, but none in the U.S.

“It will be a big deal to have the first U.S. chapter in Tampa,” Fox said. “It will solidify that we are Martí’s U.S. city and that, along with the trail, can make Tampa an educational destination.”

Cuba’s popularity among tourists is growing, according a recent report from its Ministry of Tourism.

In the first quarter of 2015, international visitors to the island nation increased by 14 percent from the same period in 2014, bolstered by a 30 percent increase among U.S. visitors that coincided with President Barack Obama’s executive orders making travel there easier.

Travel to Cuba from Tampa International Airport during the first quarter of 2015 is up by almost 1,000 passengers over the same period a year a year earlier — 17,075 through the end of March 2015 compared to 16,129 through March 2014, the airport reported.

Five charter flights travel from Tampa to Cuba each week.

The numbers already had been growing, from 41,526 passengers in 2012, to 45,595 in 2013 and 61,408 in 2014.

Still, Carlson said, “As Cuba’s popularity as a destination grows so will the number of airports offering flights there. Tampa doesn’t have a right to that market. We need to earn it.”

Miami, New York, Key West and Fort Lauderdale are the other U.S. cities that offer charter flights to the island, though New York has just one a week and Fort Lauderdale uses planes that seat only nine, said Tom Popper, president of New York-based Insight Cuba, which has been taking American tour groups to Cuba since 2000.

In July, Orlando will join that list

Island Travel & Tours, which used to operate charters to Cuba from Tampa International, will run the once-a-week charter service from Orlando International Airport. If demand warrants it, Island Travel will add a second flight Sundays.

“There are reports that Nashville is seeking authorization as another possible gateway,” Popper said.

New Orleans is considering Cuba flights, too.

The first direct flight from New Orleans to Cuba since 1958 took off March 14 carrying a delegation of leaders. That flight could be followed by others if there is demand.

New Orleans, Fox said, could provide Tampa competition for educational travel packages.

According to historians, Martí also raised money in New Orleans.

Antonio Maceo, the second highest-ranking Cuban military officer during the war, lived briefly in the Cajun city before returning to the island for battle.

In addition, a volunteer infantry departed from New Orleans to fight alongside the Cuban troops.

“Did New Orleans have a better relationship with Martí than us? No. Tampa was his favorite U.S. city.” Fox said. “But that doesn’t give us a copyright on Cuban history. We need to promote it.”

The travel industry will learn in the coming months whether flights between the U.S. and Cuba will grow in the long run.

South Florida Republican U.S. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart has proposed legislation that prevents federal money from being used on new scheduled flights to any site that was confiscated by the Cuban government. This would not affect Tampa’s current slate of five weekly fights to Cuba.

On the other hand, a bipartisan group of senators introduced legislation in January to end the travel ban, allowing U.S. tourists to visit Cuba for tourism.

If this happens, U.S. citizens wouldn’t need an educational purpose to visit the island.

Still, Carlson of TuckerHall thinks Tampa’s historic ties and proximity to Cuba are still worth marketing to help the region establish itself as a hub for island travel.

“Not everyone looks only to beaches for vacation,” Carlson said. “Some people want that history component. It’s why art museums are tourist draws.”

He cited Philadelphia and Boston as examples — cities that package history and social scenes.

“There are destinations that because of some historical angle draw visitors,” said Santiago Corrada, CEO of tourism promoter Visit Tampa Bay. “Colonial Williamsburg and St. Augustine stand out as examples.”

Corrada said it remains to be seen whether Martí is enough to make a Tampa-Cuba travel package marketable.

“I cannot tell you it will lead to so many thousands of room nights,” he said. “But there is potential for it to add to Tampa’s tourism.”

With #AmptheAwesome, Pinellas ups tourism in payback, and risk

Inline image 1

CLEARWATER — Pinellas County has spent millions crafting a brand that paints itself as a halcyon beach paradise with plenty to do after the sun sets.

That strategy has attracted a record number of visitors, year after year. This summer, though, tourism officials are going to try something a tad risky:

They're going to let tourists define the Pinellas brand, using social media.

Visitors will be invited to brag about their Pinellas adventure using the #AmptheAwesome hashtag on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter — or critique it, potentially exposing the brand to an embarrassing social media fail.

But that's a risk every brand already takes, said Visit St. Pete/Clearwater executive director David Downing, who leads the county's public tourism agency.

"If you love your brand, you have to let it go," he said. "We can't control our brand. We don't own our brand. Our brand is what exists in the minds of our visitors and our industry partners.

"We can spend a lot of money trying to frame what people will think of the brand. But at the end of the day, the brand is not owned by us. We accept that."

This summer's "Amp the Awesome" campaign builds on last year's "Live Amplified" theme, when Pinellas added a layer of adventure to its traditionally beach-reliant brand. The tourism industry wanted the brand to start reflecting the county's growing array of craft breweries, museums, nightclubs and restaurants.

"Amp the Awesome" continues that trend, and #AmptheAwesome will let tourists define their own Pinellas experience and show it to the world.

But officials have added a twist: They also want tourists to interact with them on social media.

Tourists could use #AmptheAwesome to praise the area, for example, or complain about a particular problem they're having, or ask for tips or even help. They'll also be able to text VSPC if they'd prefer to stay off social media.

VSPC will respond to select requests, Downing said, committing what the agency will call "random acts of awesome." Those are the interactions they hope will spark the social media dialogue they want with visitors.

"We really have no idea what to expect," he said. "We've come up with examples like, say a couple needs a babysitter for the evening, or someone wants a spa treatment, or they've always wanted to try parasailing.

"We're going to be inviting suggestions and monitoring them and acting on them rather quickly," Downing said.

The problem is that officials won't be able to control how that social media conversation will play out. That happened to McDonald's when the fast-food giant tried its #McDstories campaign in 2012. The Twitterverse instead hijacked the hashtag and used it to complain about poor food and service.

But that's a risk every brand takes on social media. Pinellas enjoyed great success with its #WinterBlows campaign this past winter. Viral marketing campaigns like that, though, can backfire.

Downing said there are two benefits to using #AmptheAwesome to interact with tourists:

Officials want to use social media to research their customer base: Who is visiting Pinellas, and why, what are they doing here, and will they come back?

Social media, officials think, will be more valuable than the usual online polls they rely on.

"When you pose the question, you lose part of the answer," Downing said. "But when you have open-ended questions that they can respond to and interpret how they want to, it's a purer result."

The second benefit is that tourists themselves are just as good — if not better — at advertising the Pinellas brand than the traditional "Amp the Awesome" ad campaign set to ramp up at the end of the month.

Starting Memorial Day weekend, the county will roll out digital and print ads, radio spots and a specially branded "Amp the Awesome" sailboat that will sail up and down the Pinellas coast five days a week and all over the bay area this summer.

That campaign will be aimed at Pinellas' summer drive-in tourism market. Those tourists come from the Tampa Bay and Orlando regions and anywhere south of Atlanta. This year, officials also will focus on growing markets in New York City and Latin America.

But what could be even more effective is if those tourists take to social media and tell their friends, family and co-workers what a great time they had.

"You can push your brand all you want," Downing said. "But what's even more powerful and beneficial is to have your customer do it for you, because they want to."

SunRail gets $93 million to expand into Osceola

SunRail officially has won a $93 million grant from the federal government to expand the commuter train system 17 miles south into Osceola County.

Managers had been confident of getting the money from the Federal Transit Administration because the Osceola leg promises to carry 2,000 riders daily, or about half the number of people who now get on the train each work day.

"While this news was not unexpected, it is certainly welcome, as it will allow us to expand service schedule and move us toward a regional passenger system for all Central Florida," U.S. Rep. John Mica, R-Winter Park, said in a press release.

Mica and Democratic Reps. Corrine Brown and Alan Grayson announced the FTA award late Friday, but SunRail officials did not release the amount of money until Monday.

A Mica spokesman said SunRail will receive $40 million from the federal government this year and the remainder next year as it rehabilitates and adds tracks to the corridor formerly owned by the CSX railroad company.

Overall, the expansion will cost more than $186 million, with half coming from the FTA and the remainder from the state, Osceola and Orange counties.

SunRail spokesman Steve Olson said system officials are still seeking $35 million in federal grant money for a 13-mile extension to DeLand in Volusia County. That leg is hampered by low ridership projections of about 220 passengers daily.

Olson said SunRail hopes to hear by the fall if federal funds are available for DeLand.

The Osceola link would hook up with SunRail's southern terminal at Sand Lake Road and run to Poinciana. Four more stops would be added at: the Meadow Woods community in south Orange, near the Tupperware business campus, downtown Kissimmee and Poinciana, all in Osceola.

If money is found for DeLand, both extensions could be running by mid- to late 2017. The system would nearly double in size to 61 miles and go from 12 stops to 17.

SunRail celebrated its first-year anniversary May 1.

Reckless driver fined $136K in Dubai

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A 20-year-old man will pay Dh500,000 ($136,123) to fix the road that he damaged by driving recklessly and making dangerous manoeuvres.

Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Dubai Police Chief, said the amount was in addition to the fines he was issued.

“The amount was calculated by the Roads and Transport Authority [RTA]. This will teach him and people like him to abide by traffic rules,” he said.

Maj Gen Al Mazeina added that there is a small group of people who think it is OK to drive recklessly and try out dangerous moves on public roads, but the police force will not let them get away with it as there are laws and regulations in place.

“If someone feels the need to speed and drive dangerously, they can do so on a racing track. They cannot go around damaging public property and endangering people’s lives. The UAE government has invested millions to provide the people with this infrastructure,” he said.

Adding that such behaviour is unacceptable and uncivilised, he said, “What would people say when they see skid marks all over the roads — that we live in an uncivilized society?”

Colonel Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Director of Dubai Traffic Police, said there were multiple complains about a noisy vehicle whose driver was doing dangerous manoeuvres.

“The young man was also posting videos of his ‘moves’ on Instagram and social media, and it was circulating everywhere. We had videos of his driving recklessly in January and later in April, on Al Qudra and Meydan roads,” Col Al Mazroui said.

The Emirati man was called in by the police, and was confronted with the footage of him doing “doughnuts” and other stunts.

The man’s driving license was confiscated, his car impounded and he was issued two fines for reckless driving and driving a noisy vehicle, in addition to the Dh500,000 he will have to pay to fix the road.

“We have a special task force called ‘Isnad’ that tracks down those dangerous and reckless drivers,” Col Al Mazroui explained. Isnad means ‘support’.

He said that they have noticed that such reckless driving behavior becomes more frequent when movies about cars are released in the cinemas.

Al Khawaneej and Al Tai area are known as hotspots for reckless drivers as the roads tend to be empty most of the time, he said

Bill Vervaeke, CDME

May 12, 2015, 9:24:14 AM5/12/15
to wav-daily-travel-newsletter
In case you missed these news stories.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME
9065 Bay Harbour Circle
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 795-5912 (Office & Facsimile)
(561) 318-9089 (Cellular)
(Primary E-mail) Jus...@GMail.com

(Alternate E-Mail) Jus...@Outlook.com
For archived issues or to opt into the WAV Travel Newsletter go to:

Cruise lines cancel Puerto Vallarta port calls

Civil unrest and violence around Puerto Vallarta led to cruise lines canceling ship calls there.

The Celebrity Infinity bypassed the Mexican port on May 10 for a day at sea, spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said. On May 12, Royal Caribbean International's Jewel of the Seas will substitute a sea day for Puerto Vallarta.

In a statement, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (parent of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean) said the decisions were made "due to the recent episodes of violent civil unrest, stemming from criminal gangs that have engaged in armed conflict with local authorities.”

Disney Cruise Line distributed a letter to passengers on a 14-day Panama Canal cruise aboard the Disney Wonder explaining that the May 12 port call was being canceled, citing “several reports of unrest in the area around Puerto Vallarta.”

Disney said taxes, fees and port expenses associated with the visit would be refunded to the original source of payment used by the passenger to book the cruise.

The Carnival Miracle will continue with its scheduled May 12 stop, but some shore excursions have been canceled, a spokesman said.

The U.S. State Department issued an updated travel warning for Mexico on May 5 detailing the "risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country."

Construction begins on new United terminal at Houston Bush

United Airlines and the Houston Airport System have broken ground on the airline's new Terminal C North concourse at George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The $244 million project will create a 265,000-square-foot facility, more than 100,000 square feet larger than the existing Terminal C North, with 11 passenger boarding gates.

United expects to complete the new Terminal C North concourse in early 2017.

When construction on the new concourse is completed, Houston Airport System will demolish the existing Terminal C North facility to enable the reconstruction of the Mickey Leland International Terminal D.

Gas prices $1 a gallon lower than last year

Gasoline prices are $1 cheaper than this time last year, giving the average motorist $15 in savings on a full tank of gas.

“It’s money in people’s pockets and an increase in disposable income. That is one reason we are forecasting the highest Memorial Day travel in a decade,” said Tampa-based AAA spokesman Mark Jenkins.

AAA projects 37.2 million Americans will travel 50 miles or more away from home during the Memorial Day holiday weekend, a 4.7 percent increase over last year.

Monday, Palm Beach County’s average for a gallon of regular was $2.74, up from $2.72 a week ago. That’s $1.01 below a year ago. Florida’s average stood at $2.62, up from $2.58 a week ago, according to AAA’s Fuel Gauge Report.

Jenkins said it’s typically gas prices in the weeks leading up to the holiday that have the biggest effect on motorists’ plans.

Despite the upward climb of both crude oil and gasoline prices over the last few weeks, gasoline is still the cheapest it has been since 2009.

Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy.com, said he expects a nominal increase in gas prices before Memorial Day on Monday the 25th.

“I would not be surprised if prices are still $1 less than a year ago,” Laskoski said.

During the last two or three years, the national average peaked in April. This year the peak is forecast to be reached this month or in early June, Laskoski said.

Even better for consumers, the national average, now at $2.65 for a gallon of regular, isn’t expected to reach $3 this year, AAA said.

Jenkins said, “Ultimately, high oil production should lead to lower gasoline prices throughout the summer, unless there are unexpected supply issues.”

While low crude oil prices are good for consumers and the U.S. economy in general, they aren’t good for oil producers. About half of U.S. oil rigs have been shut down in recent months.

Oil futures traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange have dropped from $105 a barrel last summer to $47 a barrel in January. Monday, oil was trading in the $59 range.

Some analysts believe oil could stabilize at $65 a barrel in the next couple of weeks, which could lead to an increase in domestic oil production and drive oil and gasoline prices lower, AAA said.

“There is a great deal of oil production and a great deal of supply,” Laskoski said. “We have seen supply outpace demand. Even with volatility in the Middle East, we are still looking at gas prices that are about $1 a gallon less than they were a year ago.”

Aloft Hotel wants to open in West Palm Beach

Aloft Hotel wants to bring its funky boutique chain to downtown West Palm Beach.

The chain, owned by Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, has proposed a seven-story, 140-room hotel on a vacant site at the northeast corner of Third Street and Rosemary Avenue. The hotel would be part of a larger mixed-use project that includes retail space and a restaurant.

Although the company said it plans to open the hotel in 2018, West Palm Beach spokesman Elliot Cohen said the project has not yet been discussed — or approved — by city officials. Under the city’s current rules, developers can build up to four stories on the site, Cohen said.

“We have talked preliminarily with them, and we like the idea,” Cohen said. “They still have a long process they need to go through.”

The hotel proposal calls for a 4,500 square-foot outdoor splash pool, sundeck, spa, large fitness center, and roughly 1,500 square feet of meeting space. There would also be a bar with live music.

Starwood said the hotel will be owned and managed by a joint venture between Sunview Companies, a real estate firm that owns other Aloft properties, and HES Group, a group of hospitality entrepreneurs with experience in the Latin American market.

During the real estate boom, developers had proposed an eight-story, 694-unit apartment complex on the site, located just west of the Florida East Coast Railway tracks. The project, dubbed “The Plaza Via Rosemary,” was put on hold in 2006 as the real estate market began to cool.

Palm Beach County tourism officials welcomed the hotel chain, saying it would be well-situated between downtown West Palm Beach and the city’s north end.

“It is the boutique type of hotel that would do very well in that area,” said Glenn Jergensen, executive director of the county’s Tourist Development Council.

The hotel, coupled with the Residence Inn and the Hyatt Place in downtown West Palm Beach, will also provide lodging for the county’s convention center, Jergensen said. A long-awaited 400-room Hilton hotel is under construction next to convention center.

“We can certainly use it from the standpoint of the convention center as overflow,” Jergensen said. “They are going to be in a good place at the right time.”

Aloft has been rapidly expanding its reach in the South Florida market.

The chain plans to build a 120-room hotel at at 202 S.E. Fifth Ave., two blocks south of Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach.

Self-driving cars can't avoid accidents on California roads

As self-driving cars arrive, liability an issue; Google acknowledges 11 accidents in 6 years

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The self-driving cars that Google Inc. has been testing on California's roads and highways were involved in 11 minor accidents over the past six years, according to the tech giant.

The company released the number Monday after The Associated Press reported that Google had notified California of three collisions involving its self-driving cars since September, when reporting all accidents became a legal requirement as part of the permits for the tests on public roads.

The director of Google's self-driving car project wrote in a web post that all 11 accidents were minor — "light damage, no injuries" — and happened over 1.7 million miles of testing, including nearly 1 million miles in self-driving mode.

"Not once was the self-driving car the cause of the accident," wrote Google's Chris Urmson.

It was not possible to independently verify Google's assertions about the fault and nature of the collisions. The company would not release accident documentation, and the California Department of Motor Vehicles said it could not discuss details, citing confidentiality. The agency has licensed just 48 of these test cars.

An accident caused by a self-driving car is a fear of the people developing them, whether at Google or one of the traditional automakers. That's not just because if the accident is particularly horrific, public and political acceptance of the technology would suffer badly. It's also because the reaction to the first car-caused accident will set a precedent in terms of financial liability.

"Assuming that you are not dead, you are in a much better positon than if you had been hit by an ordinary, human-driven vehicle," said Bryant Walker Smith, a law professor at the University of South Carolina who has studied issues about the cars.

That's because the company behind the car will have deep pockets. California law makes it hard for any but major companies or very wealthy individual to test the cars. Each one requires $5 million worth of insurance.

Given the potential for bad publicity, the company will have strong incentive to settle any lawsuit quickly and generously, Smith said.

Three other states have passed laws welcoming tests of self-driving cars onto their roads. Regulators in Nevada, Michigan and Florida told The Associated Press that they weren't aware of any accidents.

If a car in self-driving mode hits a pedestrian, the case becomes a matter of product liability.

California law has a definition of a design defect that would favor a person who is hit, said Robert W. Peterson, insurance law expert and law professor at Santa Clara University.

If the car "fails to behave in a way which a reasonable consumer would expect it to behave, that is a defect," Peterson said. The cars have a clear picture of their surroundings more than a football field away. If a person reasonably expects that one of the cars would stop rather than strike, that could create liability.

Because the cars are required to record and store the last 30 seconds of a data before any accident, reconstructing what happened should be easier, at least.

Google has modified 23 Lexus SUVs registered with DMV.

The parts supplier Delphi Automotive had one accident, which an accident report the company provided the AP showed was not its fault. Delphi said at the time the car was being driven by the person the DMV requires behind the wheel during testing.

Second major earthquake strikes Nepal

BHAKTAPUR, Nepal — A second major earthquake struck this mountainous nation Tuesday — 17 days after the first devastating quake — killing 42 and injuring 1,117, the Nepali government said.

The center of the quake was located in an isolated, conservation area approximately 11 miles from Kodari, a border crossing from Nepal to Tibet, and 47 miles from the Nepalese capital of Kathmandu, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

The USGS initially recorded it as a magnitude 7.4 earthquake, later revising the figure to magnitude 7.3. At least five, smaller aftershocks were recorded.

At least four people were killed Tuesday after buildings collapsed in the town of Chautara, about 25 miles east of Kathmandu.

Paul Dillon, a spokesman for International Organization for Migration, said at least 10 people were being treated there for injuries. No further details were immediately available.

Elsewhere, it was not clear how much additional damage has been caused to the thousands of buildings destroyed and mountain villages flattened during the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that devastated Nepal on April 25 — killing more than 8,000 people and injured 17,000.

In Bhaktapur, a medieval city about seven miles outside Nepal's capital Kathmandu, the ground appeared to roll in waves for about 20 seconds just before 1 p.m. local time (3:15 a.m. ET).

The ground began shaking as residents, still piecing back together their lives after last month's disaster, had gathered in a central square to receive sacks of rice, sugar and toiletries.

Nearby, children howled into their scarves as they hugged one another and dozens of people came flooding out of buildings into a heavy haze of dust.

Many ran uphill to more densely populated areas or to assist the elderly.

In Kathmandu, the quake also sent people rushing out into the streets.

"The shaking seemed to go on and on," Rose Foley, a UNICEF official based in Kathmandu, told the AP. "It felt like being on a boat in rough seas."

Police in Nepal advised the public on Twitter to stay in open fields, help keep roads free and suggested sending text messages by phone rather than calling in order not to overload the phone network.

Save the Children, a charity, said its teams on the ground were assessing the impact of the second quake.

"It's a terrifying time for the hundreds of thousands of children and families who lost everything in the April 25 quake," the charity said.

People in parts of northern India also reported feeling a tremor and the ground also shook strongly in Lhasa, Tibet's capital.

Inline image 1

Passenger unexpectedly gives birth on her way from Calgary to Tokyo

While it’s a scientific fact that watching a movie on an airplane makes you weep like a baby, a weeping baby on a plane is not something most fliers find appealing – unless of course, that baby is actually born on their flight. A Canadian woman received an unexpected Mother’s Day present while onboard an Air Canada flight from Calgary, Alberta to Tokyo, Japan – she became a mother.

The 23-year old, who has not been identified, went into labor about an hour before the flight was scheduled to land. Flight attendants bumped her up to first class for the delivery, which was aided by a doctor onboard the flight (because, can you imagine her trying to give birth while fighting for elbow room in the ever-shrinking economy seats?)

The new mother was seen on Japanese television being wheeled from the plane onto a stretcher, while the father held their newborn daughter, whom they’ve named Chloe.

A female passenger told a local Japanese TV station: “Everyone was clapping their hands. She’s such a cute baby with big eyes.”

Although it’s not known how many months along the expectant mother was, Air Canada’s policy states that women with a normal pregnancy and no history of premature labor are allowed to travel up to and including their 36th week. The flight was given priority at Tokyo’s Narita International Airport, and actually landed 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

Latest oddball cruise: 'surprise sailing' to secret ports

Would you sign up for a 10-night cruise without knowing the destination? Luxury line Hapag-Lloyd is betting that at least a few hundred people will.

The Germany-based cruise operator just announced plans for its first "surprise cruise" to ports unknown, to kick off on May 14, 2016.

The 10-night sailing will take place on the line's two-year-old Europa 2, and all passengers will know about it in advance is that it starts in Istanbul and ends in Piraeus, Greece (the port for Athens).

Even Hapag-Lloyd executives don't know yet where the ship will go. The line says the ship's captain and passengers will decide where it stops as the sailing unfolds.

Possible port calls will include a wide range of Greek islands such as Thasos, Lemnos and Lesbos; coastal Greek ports such as Kavala and Volos; and stops along the Turkish coast such as Kusadasi and Bodrum.

Fares for the start at $5,990 per person, based on double occupancy.

Visit Tampa Bay trolls for in-state tourists

TAMPA — Once again this summer, Visit Tampa Bay will be heavily marketing this area to in-state tourists, hoping to lure them to Lowry Park Zoo, Busch Gardens and other major attractions.

And because the Tampa area is offering discounts for all the major attractions, locals can benefit, too.

Visit Tampa Bay, Hillsborough County’s tourism agency, rolled out its summer marketing campaign this week reminding visitors across the state that Tampa Bay is “Built For Summer.” Florida counties have, for years, promoted in-state vacations as a way to fill hotel rooms and attractions during the otherwise slow summer months.

The campaign focuses on the broad mix of attractions and locations families can visit, from plunging down Falcon’s Fury at Busch Gardens to diving with sharks at the Florida Aquarium or soaring through space on the zip line at the Museum of Science and Industry.

The campaign also urges tourists to visit the newly completed Tampa Riverwalk where they can enjoy Tampa Bay on a water bike, electric boat or on a paddle board.

Visit Tampa Bay is spreading its message on both television and radio, including ads on the Pandora online music channel and on digital banners. The ads focus heavily on the Orlando and Miami areas.

“We want people in Orlando and South Florida to know that Tampa Bay offers a great mix of activities beyond what they may be used to at home,” said Visit Tampa Bay President and CEO Santiago Corrada. “We want them to spend the day at our attractions, eat at one of our fantastic restaurants, then stroll the Tampa Riverwalk at dusk. On top of all that, we’re a short, quick drive to the Gulf’s sugar sand beaches.”

“We have several incentives of our own that we’ve been doing that go along with this campaign,” said Kevin Wiatrowski, spokesman for Visit Tampa Bay. Two discount packages will help visitors and local families, alike, to pay for all that fun, he said.

Hillsborough County is the only location in the state offering the Citypass, which discounts major attractions by nearly 50 percent. It includes entrance to MOSI, Clearwater Aquarium, Busch Gardens, The Florida Aquarium and Lowry Park Zoo. The pass is $99 for visitors who are 10 years old and up and $84 for children 3 to 9.

The Trio pass offers a 35 percent discount on entrance to The Florida Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo and MOSI. That pass costs $49.95 for those aged 13 and up and $39.95 for children 3-to-12 years old. Both passes can also be purchased at any of the attraction location for the same price as on-line purchases.

“We’re selling Tampa Bay as a destination full of authentically Florida experiences, whether it’s a ride on Falcon’s Fury or a dinner out in Ybor City,” Wiatrowski said. “One of Tampa Bay’s biggest advantages compared to the state’s other big destinations is our bang for the buck. Our hotels are a real value in the summer, compared to the ones on the beaches, so you get all the great flavors of downtown and Ybor City and the beach is still an easy drive away.”

The summer campaign is launching on the heels of what, so far, has been a stellar year for Hillsborough County tourism. Santiago announced just last week that April’s tourism tax, collected on March room sales, hit $3.4 million, an all-time record for this area.

Police: Second passenger in Orlando International Airport crash knew victim

New details released in Friday's fatal accident at Orlando International Airport indicate the victim and another passenger were friends who received permission to board a tram for a closed morning run, records show.

Adam Lee, 32, died about 6:30 a.m. at Florida Hospital East after an employee working for Bombardier Transportation allowed him operate the tram without using automatic controls, records show.

Lee apparently took his hands off the controls, triggering an emergency braking system that slammed the tram to an abrupt stop. That ejected Lee through the front windshield, and he fell 15 feet below the tracks onto pavement, according to an airport official.

Riding with Lee was his friend Grant Rigdon of Winter Springs. Both had tickets for outbound flights and passed through TSA security checks before boarding the tram, according to police and airport officials.

Lee was headed to Colombia for a vacation. Rigdon could not be reached Monday.

A state Department of Transportation report stated two Bombardier workers violated protocols restricting airfield access by "illegally" escorting the men onto the tram. The report said policy changes will follow the Orlando police investigation.

The Bombardier workers were identified by police as Joseph Lollo, 30, and Nicolas J. Valentiz, 25. The police report did not identify which of the two workers knew Lee and allowed him to drive the tram. Neither Lollo nor Valentiz could be reached.

"That was an unusual situation, definitely," airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said Monday.

Ticketed passengers are never allowed to operate the eight trams that run automatically between the main terminal and four satellite terminals. And they are not allowed aboard early-morning maintenance runs, said Fennell.

The trams move about 100,000 passengers daily, records show.

Bombardier spokeswoman Maryanne Roberts would not confirm that Lollo and Valentiz are employees, citing a company privacy policy. Three other men identified as witnesses in the police report gave investigators the telephone number of Bombardier's local office as the way to contact them, records show.

None could be reached for comment Monday.

The death remains under investigation by Orlando police, the state Department of Transportation and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Cuba is Airbnb’s fastest-growing market

Airbnb Inc. Chief Executive Brian Chesky said Cuba is the company’s fastest-growing market, and President Barack Obama’s decision to reopen ties with the island nation has been a boon to the room-sharing service.

“Forty days ago we launched in Cuba, we launched with 1,000 homes in Cuba — today we now have 2,000 homes,” he said in an interview on Bloomberg Television. “I don’t think we’ve ever had a market grow as fast as Cuba.”

San Francisco-based Airbnb last month became one of the first U.S. companies to begin operations in Cuba after Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro said in December they would restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years. While Americans still are banned from visiting Cuba as tourists, the policy changes remove several restrictions on travel and trade between the two countries.

During a meeting with Castro in Panama last month, Obama said he would urge Congress to end the five-decade trade embargo against Cuba.

“President Obama has a desire to bring these two communities together — Americans and Cubans,” said Chesky, who was in Washington on Monday for a meeting with Obama and other entrepreneurs intended to promote the administration’s global entrepreneurship program. “What better way to bring them together than actually in their homes?”

The White House named Chesky as a presidential ambassador for global entrepreneurship on Monday. Obama is scheduled to lead a Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Nairobi in July.

Chesky said he has “no immediate plans” to take his company public.

Brand USA and Etihad Airways: How partnership is increasing tourism to the United States

Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has teamed up with Brand USA, a destination marketing organization for the United States, highlighting its commitment to boosting tourism to the USA from points across its extensive global network.

The airline sponsored a Brand USA reception at the exclusive Armani Hotel in Dubai, as part of the annual Arabian Travel Market (ATM) held in Dubai. ATM is a major global travel and tourism exhibition, drawing in key travel companies, organisations, airlines and tourist boards from around the world.

At the event, attended by over two hundred senior travel industry professionals and media, both Etihad Airways and Brand USA reaffirmed their commitment to forging closer ties and to work closely to find common synergies in their shared goal of promoting travel and tourism between the UAE and the USA. With support from Etihad Airways, Brand USA will seek opportunities for joint promotional activity into the United States.

Shane O’Hare, Etihad Airways Senior Vice President Marketing said: “There are very few nations on earth more diverse than the United States. The sheer beauty of this country, the spirit of optimism and a vibrant culture forged through centuries of hard work, and influences from every corner of the planet, makes it one of the most popular and exciting destinations on Etihad Airways’ global network.

“In 2014, we carried 801,465 guests to and from the United States. The country is very much in demand from Emiratis travelling for leisure or on business, and is a vitally important part of our growth plans. Together with our partner airlines, such as Jet Airways, we have also made it easier than ever for travellers from across the Indian subcontinent and other parts of Asia to connect seamlessly through Abu Dhabi onto our services to the USA.

“As the national airline of the UAE, Etihad Airways is delighted to team up with Brand USA, and to foster ever-stronger ties with them to promote increased tourism, trade and friendship with the United States.”

Etihad Airways flies to the key US gateways of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth, New York JFK, and Washington DC. The nation’s capital is served by the next-generation Boeing 787-9. This revolutionary aircraft type is part of Etihad Airways’ massive order of 71 B787 variants from the American manufacturer.

Etihad Airways has signed codeshare partnerships with major US airlines such as American Airlines and JetBlue, allowing travellers greater access to more cities across the length and breadth of the USA. The airline also has commercial and marketing agreements in place with leading US hotel chains and car hire companies and through its Etihad Holidays leisure division, provides comprehensive vacation packages for its guests visiting the United States.

The unique U.S. Preclearance facility in Abu Dhabi has helped to facilitate and expedite easy travel by allowing Etihad Airways customers to clear US immigration and customs in Abu Dhabi. Since its opening in January 2014, the CBP has processed half a million travelers heading to the USA.

Tourism officials make latest push for Chicago casino

Tourism officials on Monday pitched the benefits of a Chicago casino to lawmakers whose task of balancing Illinois' books has become harder after the state Supreme Court threw out hoped-for savings on pension costs.

Continuing long-standing efforts to expand gambling in Illinois, representatives from the dining, hotel and tourism industries told a panel of lawmakers that a casino in Chicago's downtown area would create thousands of jobs, drive more business to local restaurants and send much-needed money into state and city coffers.

"Millions of dollars in revenue and taxes are lost every year because neighboring states benefit from our tourists, conventioneers and residents who frequent their casinos," said Mark Gordon, president and CEO of the Illinois Hotel and Lodging Association. "We need a Chicago casino so our guests will stay here, to gamble, to eat in our restaurants and to shop in our stores."

It was the second of two hearings intended to prime lawmakers for the annual end-of-session gambling push in Springfield. The latest hearing came a few days after the state's high court deemed cost-cutting efforts on pensions unconstitutional as the state and city face a sea of red ink.

The ruling means the state can't count on more than $1 billion in savings from pension payments as Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the General Assembly negotiate over how to close a projected $6.6 billion budget shortfall. And it all but killed Rauner's plans to bank $2.2 billion in the new budget from his own pension-cutting proposal.

While panelists made no mention of the pension ruling during Monday's hearing, they did highlight the money-raising potential.

"A world-class casino in Chicago would be an additional draw for tourists and conventioneers to visit and stay in Chicago, which will help with more heads in beds in hotels and butts in seats in restaurants, which will generate millions in sales tax revenue for the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois," said Sam Toia, president and CEO of the Illinois Restaurant Association.

That's the logic behind Emanuel's push for a city-owned casino, revenues from which would be earmarked to pay down the city's pension debt.

Rauner has said he is open to the idea and suggested last week during a visit to City Hall that Chicago could get some of its Capitol wish list if Emanuel and city alderman help him win votes for his pro-business, anti-union agenda in Springfield.

Lawmakers also heard from opponents, who argued that locals, not tourists, would be the source of most of the revenue generated at a Chicago casino.

"For however successful we are, we're just taking more money from our own people," said Jeannie Evans, a lawyer who testified against the idea. "If that's the way we want to raise income in our state, I'm really disappointed."

Even with the promise of much-needed cash, any gambling expansion faces a tough road. Lawmakers will have to balance geographic divides within their own ranks as well as competing interests of the various factions of the gambling industry. And while a Chicago casino is a top priority for Emanuel, it is unclear how much appetite exists in the Capitol for hammering out a deal with just three weeks left in the spring session and a full plate of other issues.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME

May 19, 2015, 9:20:02 AM5/19/15
to wav-daily-travel-newsletter
In case you missed these news stories.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME
9065 Bay Harbour Circle
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 795-5912 (Office & Facsimile)
(561) 318-9089 (Cellular)
(Primary E-mail) Jus...@GMail.com

(Alternate E-Mail) Jus...@Outlook.com
For archived issues or to opt into the WAV Travel Newsletter go to:

Did All Aboard Florida benefit from federal funding?

Whether All Aboard Florida receives $1.75 billion in tax exempt bonds could come down to whether it has already benefited from federal transportation money.

In hundreds of pages of court documents filed late Friday, All Aboard Florida and the U.S. Department of Transportation argue, in part, that the express passenger rail project has been aided by millions of dollars in Florida East Coast Railway improvements allocated under a specific federal code — a key element in making All Aboard Florida eligible for the private activity bond financing.

But it could be a tricky debate for the Coral Gables-based company, which has oft repeated that its planned Miami to Orlando service is a private project taking no taxpayer money.

“All Aboard Florida is eligible for an allocation of private activity bonds from the U.S. Department of Transportation based on the use of Title 23 funds within the (Florida East Coast Railway) corridor to improve grade crossings,” All Aboard Florida President Michael Reininger said Monday. “As we have always maintained, the $1.5 billion in rail infrastructure improvements will be funded by private investors. All Aboard Florida has not requested any operating grants or subsidies.”

All Aboard Florida is seeking the private activity bonds because they are cheaper for the project than if it used taxable bonds and pose no risk to taxpayers. It plans to use the bonds to replace or supplement a Federal Railroad Administration loan, which is still pending approval.

Martin and Indian River counties filed lawsuits in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to stop the bonds from being issued. Although provisional approval was given in December by the U.S. DOT, the Florida Development Finance Corp. would act as conduit issuer for the bonds and must also approve them.

The suits make several claims as to why All Aboard Florida should not receive the bonds, including that they were approved before an environmental impact statement is final, that the DOT overstepped its authority in approving the bonds, and that the bonds cannot be used for such projects as All Aboard Florida.

Martin County’s suit says private activity bonds can be used for high-speed rail where trains will travel at 150 mph or faster, but All Aboard Florida’s top speed will be 125.

DOT claims All Aboard Florida is eligible because it has benefited from federal funding under the Title 23 code, which regulates federal aid to highways and other transportation systems.

Since 2012, $9.3 million of Title 23 money has been awarded to improve crossings in the FEC corridor, according to an April 3 letter from U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx.

“This assistance to the project makes it eligible under the statutory definition,” Foxx wrote.

But Martin County’s suit said it’s “ludicrous” that the use of Title 23 funding permits “all subsequent funding.”

“Private activity bond allocations were never intended to be used to fund projects of this nature, and certainly not $1.75 billion,” Martin County’s lawsuit states. “Therefore, DOT’s justification appears to be an attempt to fit an elephant into a mouse hole.”

District Court Judge Christopher R. Cooper is scheduled to hear Martin County’s arguments May 29 in Washington. Indian River County will make its case at the same hearing.

Private activity bonds are popular with investors because they don’t pay taxes on the interest they earn. According to All Aboard Florida, that means federal coffers will be out up to $294 million over 10 years, but the project will generate $653 million in tax revenue.

Better Business Bureau: Tom Harper River Journeys no longer operating

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has an alert on its site about river cruise operator Tom Harper River Journeys stating that “according to information in BBB files, this business is no longer in business.”

Travel Weekly received a tip on Friday that phone calls to Tom Harper River Journeys weren’t being answered and that the recording on the Tom Harper reservation line said that the offices were closed during regular business hours. And now, several river cruise lines for which Tom Harper had sold inventory, including Haimark Travel, CroisiEurope and Zambezi Queen, said that Tom Harper canceled its bookings with them last week.

Additionally, Tom Harper earlier this month sent a letter to passengers who had booked a May sailing on the 54-passenger Lord of the Glens vessel in Scotland, informing them that their trip had been canceled.

“We failed not only you, but also missed an important deadline in our contractual obligation with the owner of the ship in Scotland,” Tom Harper CEO Bret Gordon wrote in the May 8 letter, which has been obtained by Travel Weekly.

Newton, Mass.-based Tom Harper River Journeys was founded in 2013 by Gordon, a former Vantage Deluxe World Travel executive. It was established as a company that sells river cruise inventory on ships throughout Europe, Asia and Africa.

Travel Weekly called the Tom Harper main line repeatedly on Friday and Monday and got the same response, that the offices are closed.

Calls to Gordon to get more details about the company’s current situation have not been returned. An email to Joe Luchison, vice president of marketing for Tom Harper, bounced back, and a call to Luchison has also not been returned. There has also been no response from Tom Harper’s customer service line and email.

In the meantime, information from a source close to the company said that the entire staff at the company was let go last week.

Shakeup at Amras Cruises

In addition to running Tom Harper, Gordon last year had been tapped to head up Amras Cruises, the newly established U.S. distribution arm for Munich-based Amras Cruises Worldwide. Last fall, Amras made a splash when it linked up with Celebrity Cruises to create combined ocean and river cruise packages.

But as of last week, Gordon is no longer involved with Amras, according to Rudi Joham, president at Amras Cruises Worldwide.

Amras is in the process of setting up its own company-run office in Chicago that will take over sales, marketing and operations for Amras Cruises in the U.S. It is business as usual, said Joham, and Gordon’s departure and the restructuring of the sales office will not impact any current or future bookings, he said.

Cathay Pacific flight attendants protest at HK airport

Cathay Pacific flight attendants hold Hong Kong airport sit-in to protest airline's treatment

HONG KONG (AP) -- Several hundred Cathay Pacific flight attendants were camped inside Hong Kong's airport on Tuesday after union members voted for industrial action to protest their treatment by the airline.

Union member Ada So said that about 400 cabin staff had gathered in front of the Cathay check-in desks.

She said more than 600 union members cast votes, with most in favor of taking action.

They are protesting a cut to some cabin crew allowances, pay discrepancies for junior staff renewing their contracts and loss of legal support for workers involved in court cases such as civil action stemming from a passenger assault.

The protesters plan to remain at the airport until the company responds to their demands. If it doesn't, they'll step up their action.

The airport said in a statement that it was "taking measures to minimize the effects of the union's actions on airport operations."

Spokespeople for Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong's biggest airline, could not be reached for comment.

Strike shuts Lisbon subway as workers fight reforms

Strike shuts Lisbon subway as workers fight government reforms of public transport sector

LISBON, Portugal (AP) -- The Portuguese government's efforts to reorganize the debt-heavy public transport sector continue to meet resistance, with Lisbon subway workers walking off the job for the fourth time this year.

The Metropolitano de Lisboa shut down for 24 hours Tuesday as staff kept up their fight to stop the government granting private companies concessions to operate services. The concessions are expected to be announced within weeks.

Subway staff have on average staged a strike once a month since 2012, when the plan was announced.

Workers with the Lisbon bus company Carris and national rail company Comboios de Portugal, both of which are also deep in debt, have also held regular strikes.

Portugal's high public debt forced it to request a 78 billion euros ($87 billion) bailout in 2011.

Airbus Tells A400M Users to Check Engine Controls After Crash

Airbus Group NV instructed operators of A400M military-transport planes like the one that crashed in Spain on May 9 to carry out checks on the model’s engine-control system before making further flights.

Airbus sent a so-called alert operator transmission to all users of the A400M Tuesday requiring one-time checks on the electronic control units for each of the plane’s four turboprop engines, the Toulouse, France-based company said in a statement.

“To avoid potential risks in any future flights, Airbus Defence and Space has informed the operators about necessary actions to take,” Airbus said. “These results have immediately been shared with the official investigation team.”

The AOT, which also applies to any subsequent engine or control-unit replacement, results from Airbus’s “internal analysis” following the fatal A400M crash near Seville, independent of the ongoing official probe, the company said.

Airbus shares pared gains following the announcement and were priced 1.9 percent higher at 62.67 euros as of 1:36 a.m. in Paris after earlier trading as much as 3.5 percent higher.

FBI probe of alleged plane hack sparks worries over flight safety

An FBI agent’s claim that a hacker may have exploited weaknesses aboard more than a dozen commercial flights, including sending commands to a jet engine in midair, has sparked new worries over the safety and cybersecurity of the nation’s passenger planes.

The hacker, a security researcher, said the FBI misinterpreted him, and jetmakers and security experts have cast doubt on claims that he was able to control a flight. But the episode has added to a mounting sense of vulnerability ahead of what’s expected to be the busiest summer for air travel in years.

The FBI investigation comes one month after more than 50 American Airlines flights were delayed due to a bug in a critical iPad flight-navigation app that pilots could fix only by nudging closer to an airport’s WiFi.

And it comes two months after the deadly crash of a Germanwings jet in the French Alps, caused by a copilot who locked the captain out of the cockpit and began the descent, killing all 150 people on board. Despite that tragedy and the cyber-scares, air travel has never been safer — 20 commercial flights crashed last year, making it one of the safest in aviation history.

But a new wave of technology is raising questions about security for an industry that has long kept a tight grip on the information flowing among pilots, air-traffic controllers and top officials.

The aviation industry’s “previously centralized and controlled culture,” said Tim Erlin, a director at security software firm Tripwire, “is being forced to deal with the basic, but prevalent, security issues more open systems have been confronting for years.”

In an application last month for a search warrant, an FBI agent said researcher Chris Roberts had used a simple plug, installed beneath the seats of many commercial planes, to tap into in-flight entertainment systems up to 20 times since 2011.

From there, according to the FBI, Roberts said he was able to change code on a plane’s internal computers and even command a plane to climb and fly sideways. Roberts last month got agents’ attention by tweeting that he might “start playing” with his jet’s controls.

Roberts defended the tweet as a joke riffing off his previous warnings to jetmakers Airbus and Boeing over their planes’ security flaws, which he said could leave control systems for the plane’s cabin and oxygen mask systems open to attack. “My only interest has been to improve aircraft security,” he tweeted Sunday.

But other aviation and security experts said the claims, of tapping into flight controls via a seat outlet, stretched the imagination, because entertainment and crucial flight systems are often kept separate. Hacking a plane’s engine controls through its entertainment system, they argue, is a bit like controlling a car’s steering wheel through its CD player.

Jetmakers defended their security against worries of a fleetwide flaw. In Boeing jets, entertainment systems are kept separate from flight and navigation, pilots have multiple navigational systems at their disposal, and the jet’s flight plan can’t change without pilot approval, Boeing spokesman Doug Alder said.

“On every flight, there are multiple layers of security and procedures in place to protect passengers and crew,” said Victoria Day, a spokesperson for Airlines for America, the industry’s trade group.

But the industry came under fire in a Government Accountability Office report last month, which said that in-flight WiFi networks on some Boeing and Airbus planes could allow an attacker to commandeer a flight.

Cockpit electronics connect to the same networks as the passenger cabin, and the firewalls that divide them can, as cybersecurity experts told the watchdog, “be hacked like any other software and circumvented.”

Security experts such as Christopher Soghoian, who in 2006 built a tool exploiting an airline weakness by allowing people to print fake boarding passes, poked back at the industry itself, saying it had sacrificed security when it made features like the under-seat port, designed for entertainment systems, easily available to anyone.

“In order to show video ads to passengers,” Soghoian tweeted, “airlines placed an easy to access ‘hack this plane’ data port under every seat.”

Some of air travel’s biggest tech headaches have arisen from the same hazards troubling other industries. About 10,000 frequent fliers of American and United airlines were told in January their accounts had been compromised by hackers who booked themselves free or upgraded flights.

Air miles and loyalty programs have become easy targets for hackers, analysts said, because they often lack the security controls protecting credit cards, checking accounts and other forms of currency.

But the industry’s tech problems have also challenged the basic safety measures of commercial flight, including last month, when dozens of American Airlines pilots were stranded on the runway after the iPad app that gives them their flight plans crashed.

The airline had in 2013 turned to the app as an alternative to heavy bags of paper maps, saying the switch would allow for quicker updates, take weight off pilots and even save $1 million a year in fuel. But the glitch showed the risk of too much tablet dependence, especially because the airline didn’t carry backup paper terminal charts in its cockpits.

To counter technical problems, United Airlines this month launched the industry’s first “bug bounty,” offering free airline miles to hackers who alert the carrier to vulnerabilities in its Web site, app and reservations system.

But security researchers said the airline stopped short of preventing the most damage, by saying it would not accept submissions detailing weaknesses in planes’ on-board WiFi, entertainment systems and flight electronics.

Years of bankruptcies and megamergers have left fewer airlines to compete over a growing traveler base, and some analysts have argued the air carriers have been slow to implement important upgrades.

But some airlines are “starting to see that messy operations are very expensive,” said Seth Kaplan, a managing partner for trade publication Airline Weekly.

“When you invest money wisely in tech, and not just a blank check, you get this virtuous cycle where you don’t have as many delays, you’re not losing as many bags” — and passengers feel more confident to step on the plane.

Bulletin warned of potential 'war' between biker gangs

DALLAS — For months, there had been skirmishes and talk of a war between the Bandidos and Cossacks motorcycle gangs over money, turf and respect, according to a law enforcement bulletin.

That talk escalated into open warfare in Waco on Sunday afternoon during a biker gathering at a restaurant. Nine suspected gang members were killed and 18 others were injured in a confrontation between the two motorcycle gangs at the Twin Peaks restaurant on the south side of Waco. Police said Monday that 170 people were arrested.

"Violence between members of the Bandidos OMG and the Cossacks MC has increased in Texas with no indication of diminishing," according to the bulletin. "The conflict may stem from Cossacks members refusing to pay Bandidos dues for operating in Texas and for claiming Texas as their territory by wearing the Texas bottom rocker on their vests, or 'colors' or 'cuts.' "

In the wake of the shooting, a statewide bulletin was issued to law enforcement stating that the gangs had "issued an order to kill anyone in uniform." On Monday afternoon — after interviews with more than 200 people connected to the shootout — an updated bulletin was issued to law enforcement around Texas indicating that officers are not being specifically targeted for retaliation.

"Information has been received that law enforcement presence will not stop motorcycle gangs from completing their mission," the bulletin stated.

That mission is likely to be retaliation against each other in the wake of Sunday's violence.

The May 1 bulletin, "Tension between Bandidos OMG and Cossacks MC remains high in Texas," was issued by the Texas Joint Information Center run by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

“If they want to get at each other, they're going to get at each other.”

"The fact that they were wearing a Texas bottom rocker is a direct affront to the Bandidos," said Steve Cook, executive director of the Midwest Outlaw Motorcycle Gang Investigators Association. "This is just not something you do. Texas is a Bandido-controlled state, and for the Cossacks to do that … they had to know there was going to be retribution for it."

According to the bulletin, law officers had been actively trying to reduce tensions between the two groups and had met with them about it. They had been cautioned about the "unwanted attention a potential war would bring to both groups," the bulletin said.

Waco police have said that they had an increased law enforcement presence outside the restaurant because they feared violence would erupt. Police also said that they had warned the local Twin Peaks restaurant for two months about hosting the biker event.

Cook, the biker gang expert, said Sunday's event is known as a "confederation of clubs" meeting — the biker gang equivalent of an organizational meeting. At this event, the Bandidos would have considered themselves to be in charge.

"For the Cossacks to show up at that location where a (confederation of clubs) meeting is going on — directly defying the Bandidos — what do you expect the Bandidos to do?" Cook asked. "They're going to lose face in front of all these mom-and-pop clubs that they are trying to intimidate."

Cook said neither gang would have been deterred by the increased police presence.

"If they want to get at each other, they're going to get at each other," he said. "The location, who's present or not, really is not of a concern to them. They're going to do it."

The memo outlined the reasons believed to be driving the escalating tensions.

A Bandidos chapter president had approached a Cossacks leader and told him of the "dues and fees required from all Cossacks chapters in Texas," the bulletin said. "Initially, the Cossacks chapters paid their dues, but felt disrespected once members became aware that some Bandidos support clubs did not pay the same fees. As a result, the Cossacks chapters stopped paying the Bandidos."

The bulletin did not indicate when this happened.

It noted that Cossacks members had recently "started wearing the Texas patch on the bottom rocker of their vests without the approval of the Bandidos," the bulletin said. "Traditionally, the Bandidos have been the dominant motorcycle club in Texas, and no other club is allowed to wear the Texas bar without their consent. If the club refuses, Bandidos members will attempt to remove the vest by force from the member."

The memo detailed the escalating conflict:

• March 22: About 10 Cossacks forced a Bandido to pull over along Interstate 35. They then attacked the Bandidos member with "chains, batons, and metal pipes before stealing his motorcycle."

• March 22: A group of Bandidos confronted a Cossacks member fueling his motorcycle at a truck stop. After the Cossacks member refused to remove the Texas patch from his vest, the Bandidos attacked him "by striking his head with a hammer and stealing his vest."

• April 7: The FBI El Paso Division received information from law enforcement that about 100 Bandidos planned to travel to Odessa on April 11 in order to start a "war" with Cossacks in the area.

• April 9: The FBI San Antonio division received information that Bandidos had "discussed the possibility of going to war with Cossacks" and "instructed members to be on the lookout for members or associates of the Cossacks" during the April 11 weekend biker rallies held in Amarillo, Hondo, Midland and Odessa.

• April 24: The FBI Dallas division released a report regarding three recent fights between Bandidos and Cossacks in East Texas.

The bulletin states that both groups had been warned that there would be an increased law enforcement presence during the April 11 weekend in Odessa.

"The warning did little to curb the Bandidos presence, however, and it was estimated that 200 to 400 Bandidos from Texas and New Mexico rode into the Odessa area," the bulletin said. "There were no reports of Cossacks members in the area, and no significant violent activity was reported."

The bulletin described the Bandidos as "one of the largest one-percenter outlaw motorcycle groups in the United States" and the largest outlaw motorcycle gang in Texas. The Cossacks is a national club with members in the east, north and west Texas.

"Law enforcement personnel is urged to always maintain vigilance when in contact with members of either motorcycle group," the bulletin advised.

Cook, who works for a Kansas city-area police department, was part of an undercover operation that infiltrated a gang affiliated with the Bandidos. He does not believe the violence is over between the two biker gangs.

"You're absolutely going to have tit-for-tat," Cook said. "It may not be today; it may not be tomorrow; but these groups are not going to fall in love with each other. There's going to be hatred that runs pretty deep."

Cook said now is the time for law enforcement to come down hard on the Bandidos.

"In my opinion, the Bandidos shouldn't be able to move around freely anywhere in this country right now," Cook said. "Law enforcement ought to be all over these guys anywhere they go. They've definitely earned a target on their back."

Disney Charts Return to NYC, Galveston in Fall 2016

Disney Cruise Line is returning to New York City and Galveston in fall 2016, and also is offering new seven-night Caribbean itineraries from Miami. Bookings open on May 20, 2015.

On Oct. 7, 2016, the Disney Magic will sail from New York on an eight-night cruise that stops at the private island of Castaway Cay, Nassau and Port Canaveral for a visit to Walt Disney World Resort, located an hour away.

Seven-night itineraries that stop at Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral will depart on Oct. 15, Oct. 22 and Oct. 29.

Every guest on these sailings will receive a one-day Disney Park Hopper ticket and round-trip transportation between the ship and the resort.

On Oct. 2, 2016, the Disney Magic will sail from New York on a five-night cruise to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.

Then, the Disney Magic heads south to operate a season of seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean voyages from Miami.

On Nov. 20 and Dec. 4, 2016, the Disney Magic will sail from Miami to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay. On Nov. 27 and Dec. 11, it will visit Tortola, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. The Dec. 23 holiday voyage will visit Tortola, San Juan and Castaway Cay.

Additional Miami sailings include a four-night Bahamas cruise departing on Nov. 16, a five-night Bahamas cruise departing Dec. 18, and a six-night Western Caribbean cruise departing on Dec. 30, 2016. Each sailing will stop at Castaway Cay.

In late 2016, the Disney Wonder will return to Galveston with a line-up of seven-night itineraries, including Bahamian sailings that stop at Castaway Cay.

The Disney Wonder will sail to Key West, Castaway Cay and Nassau on voyages departing Nov. 18, Nov.

25, Dec. 9, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30, 2016. On Dec. 2, the Disney Wonder will depart on a seven-night voyage to Falmouth on Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. On Dec. 16, the Disney Wonder will sail a seven-night cruise to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman.

The ship also offers two four-night sailings to Cozumel departing Galveston on Nov. 10 and Nov. 14.

Woman Makes Bomb Joke and Ends Up in Police Custody

By now, it should be common knowledge that, no matter how hilarious that bomb joke sounds in your head, you might not want to try out your material on airline security agents. One passenger, it seems, doesn't share that common knowledge.

According to TheLocal.de, a woman preparing to fly from Frankfurt, Germany, to Vienna, Austria, on Sunday was going through security at Frankfurt Airport when she asked the security officials a question in jest.

As her bag was going through the X-Ray machine, the woman reportedly asked, “So, did you find the bomb?”

Instead of extending a courtesy chuckle to a patently tone-deaf joke, the security forces at the airport subjected her to a rigorous search and interrogation, and the airport did not allow her to board the flight to Vienna.

Frankfurt police who arrived at the site of the incident told The Local the woman made comments about a bomb being in her luggage on several different occasions. The local police arrested the passenger and charged her with breach of the peace.

Unbelievably, bad decision-making plagues many people who decide they want to fly. During an April flight in India, a man hitting on a flight attendant used the word hijack during his conversation and found himself in local police custody as well.

At the end of the day, passengers attempting to get through the flight experience with minimal headaches must use common sense in these situations. Jokes about bombs and hijackings are rarely funny even outside the confines of an airport. Inside, when alert is already understandably high, they can be disastrous. Be smart.

EasyJet Eliminating Bathroom to Add More Seats

Airline passengers have clamored for more legroom and space to breath inside airplanes, but low-budget English airline EasyJet is going in the opposite direction by adding even more seats to its next crop of airplane deliveries.

According to a statement from EasyJet, all future deliveries of the Airbus A320 aircraft to the company will be fitted with 186 seats, six more than standard models of the plane. All of EasyJet’s existing A320 aircrafts will retrofitted with the six additional seats and the other necessary changes starting in winter 2016.

In a press release from Airbus regarding the delivery of a plane with the same number of seats to a different airline, the space needed for six additional seats is found via cutting down from two bathrooms to one and using a Space-Flex module in the back of the plane for flight attendants.

For the bathrooms, the change is a double-edged sword. While having only one restroom could result in people waiting for their chance, the aircraft has expanded the single bathroom to make it more handicap accessible.

As for the Space-Flex module, it is a structure in the back of the airplane used by flight attendants to store all the amenities passengers will need during their journey in the most space-efficient way possible.

Child drowns in cruise ship pool

A 10-year-old girl has drowned in a swimming pool aboard the Norwegian Gem ship en route to Florida and the Bahamas.

The US Coast Guard said the incident happened Sunday about 75 miles east of Myrtle Beach, S.C. and the ship immediately set a course for Port Canaveral, arriving about noon Monday.

Ship crew were quickly at the scene but the girl could not be saved, said Vanessa Picariello, spokeswoman for Norwegian Cruise line.

"We are extremely saddened to have learned that a guest passed away on Sunday aboard the Norwegian Gem," Picariello said in an emailed statement.

"On Sunday afternoon, the ship's medical team responded to an emergency call from the pool deck, as a 10-year-old female guest was reported unresponsive. The team quickly administered CPR and full emergency care. After extensive efforts, the guest could not be revived."

The Norwegian Gem was on a week-long cruise to Florida and the Bahamas having departed New York on Saturday.

Hilton renames Embassy Suites, Hampton brands

Embassy Suites Hotels and Hampton Hotels are being rebranded as part of a 'renewed business strategy' by parent Hilton Worldwide.

The two brands will now be known as Embassy Suites by Hilton and Hampton by Hilton, and will have new logos reflecting the change.

"The Hilton brand symbolizes quality, consistency, and familiarity, providing further reassurance to guests and owners alike," said Jim Holthouser, executive vice president, global brands, Hilton Worldwide.

"We are confident that this simple global modification to the Embassy Suites and Hampton brands will have a positive impact on brand performance."

Hilton said the move to align brand recognition comes from research following the DoubleTree by Hilton rebranding in 2011.

The Hilton endorsement creates added expectations and consistency around service, guest rooms, and comfort, the company said.

There are currently 220 Embassy Suites with a development pipeline of an additional 35.

There are more than 2,000 Hampton properties.

JetBlue to offer Mexico City flights from Fort Lauderdale and Orlando

JetBlue Airways is adding another Latin American city to its route map — Mexico City.

Starting Oct. 1, travelers will be able to hop aboard new nonstop service from Fort Lauderdale and Orlando to the Mexican metropolis — its 35th destination in Latin America and the Caribbean, the New York-based carrier announced Monday.

Mexico City has been on JetBlue's radar for some time as it plots its growth and expansion in Florida, especially at hub airports in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando.

"As we think about JetBlue's leadership in the Caribbean and Latin America, Mexico City is a destination that we have been very eager to add to our network," Dave Clark, JetBlue's vice president network planning, said in a statement Monday.

JetBlue is the busiest airline at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport with 20 percent of passenger traffic in March, the latest airport data show. Southwest and Spirit airlines trail in second and third place with 18 percent and 17.4 percent shares, respectively.

Last week, JetBlue announced that new nonstop service between Fort Lauderdale and Quito, Ecuador, is set to begin in the first quarter of 2016, pending government approval.

The Quito and Mexico City routes are part of the airline's efforts to boost its presence at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood to 100 daily flights by 2017, up from about 85 flights now.

JetBlue's daily flight from Fort Lauderdale-International Airport to Mexico City International Airport is scheduled to depart in the evening and return in the morning, the carrier said.

The same schedule will apply to flights departing and arriving at Orlando International Airport.

For Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood, this is the second new route to Mexico City in recent months.

In December, Mexican low-cost carrier Volaris was the first carrier to add Mexico City to the Fort Lauderdale airport's roster of growing Latin American destinations. And it added Guadalajara, Mexico, a few days later. The flights operate thrice-weekly to Mexico City and twice a week to Guadalara.

Volaris's Mexico City flight was the first for Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood since AeroMexico ceased service there in September 2007, while Guadalajara was a completely new route.

JetBlue and Spirit also provide service to Cancun from Fort Lauderdale. Miramar-based Spirit also operates flights from Fort Lauderdale to Toluca, just outside Mexico City.

Orlando airport set to approve new $1.8 billion terminal

The leaders of Orlando International Airport are moving forward with construction of a $1.8 billion southern terminal, despite the objection of two large airlines.

Airport Chairman Frank Kruppenbacher said Monday the airport is growing at an accelerated clip and with more international carriers coming on board – including Emirates – Orlando International could be overrun with passengers if it does not expand soon.

"We really think it is prudent to start the design earlier so we can go when we need to go," Kruppenbacher said.

The board is expected during a Wednesday meeting to instruct its chief architectural consultant SchenkelShultz to assemble a team to start working on the terminal concept, as well as reduce the so-called trigger point of when to start construction from 40 million passengers to 38.5 million.

The southern terminal would be built about a mile south of the existing one and serve domestic and foreign visitors, the fastest-growing segment of the airport's business.

Right now, the airport is handling more than 36.4 million passengers, just short of the record of 36.5 million set in 2007. Roughly 4.4 million of the visitors are from out of the country.

If current growth continues, airport director Phil Brown said, Orlando International could hit 38.5 million passengers next year. The new terminal, with 16 gates, could open as early as 2019.

Southwest Airlines and Delta Airlines, the airport's two busiest carriers, oppose the expansion, which has been discussed by the board for several years. The two airlines argue a second terminal is too expensive and unnecessary.

"We remain concerned about total project costs which can drive up our operating costs, making it difficult to keep our fares low for our customers," said Pete Houghton, senior manager of airport affairs at Southwest Airlines.

A Delta spokesman declined comment.

Kruppenbacher maintains Southwest and Delta are critical of the expansion because the carriers have international hubs elsewhere; Southwest in Houston, Delta in Atlanta.

"A lot of the airlines will like that we are doing this," he said.

Emirates, which is based in Dubai and begins Orlando flights Sept. 1, issued a statement saying, "The addition of MCO's international terminal helps with the ease of travel."

Earlier this year, Orlando International launched a $1.3 billion expansion that will add a new parking garage and train terminal. It also will improve the U.S. Customs and Border Protection area where passengers check in at Airside 4, which handles much of the international travel and features airlines such as Delta, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

All the work will be financed through a combination of selling bonds that typically are repaid over 30 years; grants and loans from the federal and state governments; and an extension of a $4.50 fee on every ticket into and out of the airport.

Cops: 170 Bikers Could Face Capital Murder Charges

BAIL SET AT $1 MILLION EACH AFTER WACO SHOOTOUT

(NEWSER) – The McLennan County Jail is full of bikers after Sunday's gang shootout in Waco, and they're likely to be there for a while: Bail has been set at $1 million each for around 170 people arrested and charged with engaging in organized crime, reports the Dallas Morning News. The violence left nine people dead, and police spokesman Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says some, or even all, of the 170 in custody could face capital murder charges, KWTX reports. Swanton says he doesn't want to give the gangs involved "the respect" of mentioning their names, though the county sheriff says all nine people killed were from the Bandidos and Cossacks gangs, the AP reports. Police say members of five gangs had gathered for a meeting at the Twin Peaks restaurant.

McLennan County Justice of the Peace WH Peterson says all nine dead bikers were from Texas, but he won't identify them until their families have been notified, the AP reports. A law enforcement source tells CNN that preliminary information indicates that four of the bikers were killed by gunfire from police, who say they returned fire after the feuding bikers turned their weapons on them. The Twin Peaks restaurant, part of a nationwide chain, will not be reopening again, the Waco Tribune-Herald reports. In a statement, the chain's corporate office said it had revoked the Waco location's franchise agreement because it had chosen "to ignore the warnings and advice from both the police and our company."

Disneyland prepares for crush of visitors during 60th anniversary celebration

The gripes about Disneyland crowds started on opening day — July 17, 1955 — when so many people showed up that refreshment stands ran out of food and drinks.

Sixty years later, Disneyland is celebrating its diamond anniversary with a new pulsating nighttime parade, an upgraded fireworks show and a sparkling veneer on Sleeping Beauty's castle. Theme park experts predict that visitors will pack the park to near capacity, based on the 8.5% increase in attendance — to 14.5 million visitors — for the 50th anniversary.

Disneyland managers say they have been testing several crowd management tactics to make sure that the throngs attending the celebration, which begins May 22, don't bottleneck like the freeway traffic around the Anaheim park.

"We've been doing things over the past couple of years to prepare for this," said Mary Niven, vice president of Disneyland Park.

The tactics include opening "bypasses" — little-used routes behind and parallel to Disneyland's Main Street to help move people in and out of the park. Crews will also direct foot traffic in a one-way, counterclockwise direction around the night parade to reduce gridlock. The park also plans to employ staff to entertain guests waiting in line.

Over the years, crowding has disheartened some Disneyland fans.

Nick and Marcey Chambers have bought annual passes to Disneyland for four years. But now the Huntington Beach couple say the long lines are forcing them reconsider.

"The crowds definitely discourage me from visiting the park," said Nick Chambers, a crane mechanic. "Unfortunately, going on a weekday versus a weekend is not much of a difference."

But some die-hard fans say the crush of visitors expected this summer won't dissuade them.

Pam Wycliffe, a graphic designer from Marin County, said she plans to spend four days at the celebration.

"It's going to be busy, but I don't care," she said. "I'm going to go in and just soak in the atmosphere."

Disneyland officials won't discuss daily attendance numbers, but theme park experts estimate that the 85-acre park draws an average of about 44,000 people a day.

For a few hours last Christmas morning, Disneyland reached capacity — a ceiling that has never been publicly disclosed but some insiders have said is 80,000 visitors. The gates were closed, and would-be parkgoers were encouraged to visit neighboring Disney California Adventure Park.

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Robert Iger recently confirmed that plans are in the works to expand Disneyland. He has yet to offer details.

"Physically there is not a lot they can do with the site," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park, a consulting firm in Cincinnati. "They only have so much space."

Making the most of the park space is crucial to Disney's bottom line. The company's parks and resorts unit posted operating income of $566 million for the three months that ended March 28, a gain of 24% from a year earlier. The company said the strong performance was partly due to increased guest spending and attendance at its domestic properties.

Over the years, Disney executives have employed several strategies to contend with the throngs.

Disneyland introduced a virtual queuing system known as FastPass in 1999 to manage lines.

Excessive crowding prompted Disney executives last year to temporarily halt sales of popular annual passes for Southern California residents. The park also adopted a new policy for disabled guests in 2013 because visitors were hiring people in wheelchairs to bypass the long ride lines.

With heavy crowds expected during the 60th anniversary, Disneyland managers say they have an arsenal of tactics to cut down on guest frustration over bottlenecks and queues.

On the Jungle Cruise ride, an employee dressed as a boat skipper will joke with waiting visitors. Children in line for the Toy Story Midway Mania ride can play with Etch-A-Sketch toys.

During the parades along Disneyland's Main Street, park employees will encourage guests to use the sidewalks as one-way streets, traveling in a counterclockwise direction to keep foot traffic moving smoothly around the parade. It's a tactic that the park relied on heavily during its 50th anniversary celebration.

If Disneyland reaches capacity, the park will temporarily close its gates and direct visitors to California Adventure. This takes place only a few times a year, primarily during the holiday season, park managers say.

By sending visitors to Disneyland's sister park, the company won't lose sales of food and souvenirs to guests who would otherwise be turned away, said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati.

"The more gates you have, the more you can invite people back without turning them away," he said. "It's about time management and people management."

Disneyland has formed a team of three managers to oversee guest flow. The managers will keep in contact with workers throughout the park via radios to react to choke points and gridlock.

"We know where the critical guest flow areas are," Niven said.

The biggest crowding problems are likely to hit at night when crowds gather along Main Street to see the newly upgraded "Paint the Night" parade, followed by the overhauled fireworks show.

To disperse the crowds and reduce congestion, the park has scheduled the parade to start at nearly the same time as "Fantasmic," the musical, pyrotechnic show at Rivers of America in Frontierland. The tactic forces guests to choose between the attractions.

At Disney California Adventure, the water and light show known as "World of Color" begins each night at about the same time as the Disneyland parade.

"The timing of the shows was something we worked on to minimize the impact on guest congestion," Vice President Kris Theiler said.

When Main Street becomes too congested, Disneyland has the option of opening two alleyways behind the shops to quickly move crowds.

The passage east of Main Street has been used sporadically for several years, while the passage west of Main Street has been used more frequently, park officials say. The park has dressed up the alleys with Disney movie posters.

Niven, who oversees the park's day-to-day operations, said that managing the crowds, attractions and employees for the 60th anniversary celebration may be as complicated as putting on a wedding with thousands of guests.

But she added: "We've been putting on weddings for 60 years."