WAV Travel News - Thursday Edition

Bill Vervaeke, CDME

Apr 30, 2015, 10:28:19 AM4/30/15
to wav-daily-travel-newsletter
In case you missed these news stories.

Bill Vervaeke, CDME
9065 Bay Harbour Circle
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 795-5912 (Office & Facsimile)
(561) 318-9089 (Cellular)
(Primary E-mail) Jus...@GMail.com

(Alternate E-Mail) Jus...@Outlook.com
For archived issues or to opt into the WAV Travel Newsletter go to:

Families say they lost thousands in hotel scam near Disney

Buena Vista Vacation Management won't return phone calls

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two families contacted Local 6 for help after spending more than $3,000 to stay at a hotel near Disney, but when they arrived, there was no reservation.

Now, the families say the company they used to book the room isn't answering their calls.

"Everything was too good to be true, we got on the plane, everything was nice," said Erica Rendino.

Rendino and Janet Montalbano flew down with their families from Connecticut. They came to Orlando for their daughters' cheerleading competition.

"We go check in [today] and they're looking at me like I had 30 heads and I'm like, 'Um, did we get scammed?'" Rendino said.

According to Rendino, they had booked a room at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort for a week through a company called Buena Vista Vacation Management. They paid more than $3,000 for a presidential suite, but when they arrived to the front desk, there was no reservation.

"Presidential suite, we thought we had beautiful amenities. We have nothing," Montalbano said.

The families contacted the agency, but got no answer. Local 6 called the company and left a message. A Google search shows a number of complaints and the state's Office of Consumer Services shows a similar pattern, complaints from families with similar nightmares.

The agency's address brought Local 6 to an office building in Celebration with no name immediately available on the directory.

"So, the extra money we came with now, we have to use it to sleep somewhere," Montalbano said. The families say as they were checking in, they ran into other families who were in a similar predicament.

For the mothers, they say it's been a day of tears and laughter.

"We won't ever forget it, but we have to turn it into a magical experience for the children," Montalbano said.

Local 6 tried the company again and left a voicemail. Local 6 also emailed and left a voicemail for Wyndham corporate for a response.

Baseball stadium a legislative hit for Palm Beach County

TALLAHASSEE — The Florida Senate and House may not be able to play ball on health care and the budget, but that doesn’t mean they are going to stand in the way of bringing spring training back to West Palm Beach.

Less than 24 hours after the House packed up and went home, the Senate on Wednesday passed a House bill (HB 1213) that serves as a green light to start construction on the new baseball complex that the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals will call home starting in 2017. The bill now heads to Gov. Rick Scott.

While the St. Louis Cardinals and the Miami Marlins hold spring training in Jupiter, West Palm Beach has been without a team since the days of the Montreal Expos and Atlanta Braves, which pulled up stakes in 1997.

It was not the only legislative priority Palm Beach County saw accomplished this session, despite all the drama over the budget and health care. Other bills backed by the county and sent to the governor include certification of sober homes (HB 21), gleaning of farm land (SB 158) and an on-line voter registration measure (SB 228) sponsored by Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth.

Bills that would allow the Palm Beach County School District to install signs recognizing business partnerships (HB 1253) and make changes to the West Beach Firefighters Pension Fund (HB 1167) also went to Scott, with votes of approval by the Senate on Wednesday.

But for Palm Beach County lobbyist Todd Bonlarron, baseball was king of the 2015 legislative session.

“That was the top priority for the city of West Palm Beach and for the county,” he said.

The bill, which Scott is expected to sign, changes the boundaries of a sliver of the West Palm Beach Water Catchment Area along the M Canal to free up 27 acres that can be used for excess parking at the south end of the proposed complex. When the area is not being used for parking, it will be available for recreational fields.

Preliminary work of the $135 million projected started in March at the 160-acre former land fill south of 45th Street, with the teams expected to break ground in early fall.

“It’s another step in the right direction of getting our stadium opening up by spring 2017. We are moving full steam ahead,’’ said West Palm Beach Mayor Jeri Muoio.

The bill was necessary, because no actual construction could start without tweaking the law that created the catchment area, home of West Palm Beach’s water supply. The bill sent to Scott reduces the protective zone separating the south end of the property from the canal.

Giles Kibbe, general counsel for the Houston Astros, speaking on behalf of both teams, said the teams had been concerned this week with all the drama between the chambers. “A little bit of a curveball,” he said.”But I’m glad to see it was all resolved.”

If the water bill had languished, Kibbee said he didn’t think the project could have gone forward for another year.

“It was vital. If these political issues had ended this for the session, then we would have been stuck and probably would have had to wait a year to do anything,” he said.

Bonlarron also said he was happy the bills on sober homes, school signs and gleaning got through the divided Legislature.

He said the sign law codifies a five-year pilot program already in place in the school district to enforce uniform rules for signage at sporting events. The gleaning law protects farmers from liability for people who go on their land to pick left over fruit and vegetables, often for the poor. He called the pension bill “housekeeping.”

The sober home legislation would give these facilities also known as halfway house incentive to get state certification by allowing only certified sober homes to get referrals from treatment centers. Clemens, the Senate sponsor, and the House sponsor, Rep. Bill Hager, R-Delray Beach, have called it a good first step that protects neighborhoods, as well recovering addicts.

Among the county-backed bills that died were bills that created incentives for film and television development and enterprise zones and that would have set statewide rules for ride services like Uber and Lyft.

Whether lawmakers will reconvene for bills left in the lurch by the House calling it quits remained unknown late Wednesday. Bonlarron, though, saw the silver lining. Usually, he could only hit one day of SunFest.

“This might be the first time I can buy a five-day pass to SunFest,” he said.

House Republicans Propose Bill to Prevent Tourist Travel to Cuba

Republican Florida Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart introduced a bill to Congress on Tuesday that would block new flights and cruise ship travel to Cuba, according to Andrew Taylor of the Associated Press.

The proposal, which comes just months after President Obama introduced eased restrictions on travel to the Caribbean destination, has been attached to a critical transportation spending bill that will be reviewed by the House of Representatives in May.

Diaz-Balart, a Cuban-American representing Florida's 25th district, said allowing flights and cruises to Cuba would violate law:

"The expansion of regularly scheduled flights to Cuba is an obvious attempt to circumvent the tourism ban," said Diaz-Balart in a statement via the AP. "Similarly, allowing cruises to dock in Cuba would violate both the spirit and the letter of U.S. law. Increased travel to Cuba directly funds the individuals and institutions that oppress the Cuban people."

Diaz-Balart urged his colleagues to support his provision, stating that "Congress cannot look away as the president implements policies that channel dollars to an anti-American dictatorship."

While Diaz-Balart is likely to gain support among House Republicans, the proposal is a controversial one nonetheless.

Late last year, the Obama administration announced plans to ease restrictions on travel to Cuba, unveiling a new policy in January. While the policy didn't lift the U.S.'s half-century embargo on the island nation, it has made travel to Cuba far less burdensome.

American travelers no longer need a special license from the government and can get clearance so long as they qualify for any one of a dozen different categories, including family visits, journalistic activity and humanitarian projects.

In addition to having to pass through the Appropriations Committee and the House, the bill would have to get past President Obama, who could squash it with a veto.

Virgin America tops expectations for first-quarter profit

Virgin America Inc on Thursday topped analysts' expectations for first-quarter profit and forecast that its carrying capacity and unit revenue this quarter would stay flat or decline slightly.

The low-cost airline made first-quarter profit for the first time in its history, earning $12.8 million, or 29 cents per diluted share, compared to a loss of $22.4 million a year ago.

Analysts on average estimated it would earn 14 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Virgin American also forecast that passenger unit revenue would decrease between zero and 2 percent this quarter on a capacity decrease between zero and 1 percent.

Time-lapse video: Nik Wallenda walks spinning Orlando Eye

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c3405ff56e1cd4b536f1ed7024e46e433dace65a/c=204-0-3396-2400&r=115x86&r=x159&c=156x156/local/-/media/2015/04/29/USATODAY/USATODAY/635658933952364156-G47A7114.jpg

Hotel guests and owners are totally over the idea of the mini-bar and its $6 Pringles

Think fast, Hotshot. When’s the last time you bought something from the hotel mini-bar? When did you take an overpriced Coke Zero or a bottle of Smartwater that cost almost as much as a bottle of drinkable wine? And has anyone ever opened the $12 vacuum-sealed container of pistachios? I honestly can’t recall the last time I did any of the above or when I even peeked into that little fridge to see what sort of ridiculously priced snacks were available.

Hotels are starting to realize that their guests aren’t as enthusiastic about paying a 300% markup on the same munchies they could’ve just bought down the street at Duane Reade. And as far as perks go, mini-bars are almost as outdated as free local calls. According to a very well-researched report on Priceonomics, in a 2012 survey of hotel owners, the majority of them said that keeping mini-bars stocked and inventoried was a “nightmare.” And it’s a nightmare that comes with a decreasing return on the time it takes to deal with it: during a five year period from 2007-2012, mini-bar sales plummeted by 28%, and it would stand to reason that those numbers have continued to slide.

Inline image 1

The Standard Hotel, Miami Beach

Hotel guests, for the most part, are so over it. TripAdvisor surveyed 2,000 travelers about the amenities that they considered to be the most and least important during a hotel stay. Mini-bars were by far the least important perk, ranking below on-site spas, laundry services and Wi-Fi beside the pool. The five most important amenities were all preceded by the word ‘free': free Wi-Fi was number one, followed by free parking, free breakfast and free personal care items.

That could explain why an increasing number of hotels have taken the price tags off their in-room refreshments and are offering complimentary mini-bars, free happy hours or even free wine and champagne tastings in their lobbies or restaurants. Plus, it would seem that a guest that is sampling a free glass of wine might be more likely to order – and enjoy – an appetizer that costs the same as a jar of cashews that could’ve been in the room since the Clinton administration (the same data set that noted the decline of hotels’ mini-bar sales also noted that, during the same five year period, bar and lounge charges increased by 4.8%).

Some hotel chains – DoubleTree and other Hilton properties, for example – continue to have traditional mini-bars in their rooms. So do the high-end hotels, the kind where maybe the guests aren’t as likely to check the price on the gourmet snack assortment that has been “curated” for their enjoyment. But the rest of us probably wouldn’t mind if the mini-bar disappeared from our hotel rooms forever. Hell, we might not even notice.

Airports offer free snacks and massages to help travelers stay healthy

Free healthy snacks, complimentary massages and giveaways that include Fitbit wireless activity-tracking wristbands and travel yoga mats are on the schedule as part of the Fit2Fly Week taking place through May 2 at airports in Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Coordinated by AIRMALL USA, which operates shops and restaurants at the participating airports, Fit2Fly Week also features free health and wellness services and handouts with tips on staying healthy while traveling.

"From grabbing fresh fruit as a snack for the plane to walking the terminal while waiting for your flight, there are easy ways that travelers can incorporate a health and wellness routine into their travels," said Jay Kruisselbrink, senior vice president of AIRMALL USA, in a statement. "During our Fit2Fly week, we're showing travelers that staying fit while traveling is not only possible, but also fun and easy," he said.

Activities vary by airport and day.

At Boston Logan's Terminal B, the schedule includes free 5-minute massages by Be Relax in the TB American Airlines Food Court on Tuesday and Thursday, free yoga lessons on Wednesday, and healthy snack tastings at the Berkshire Farms Market on Friday.

At BWI there will be free hand massages on Tuesday in the A/B Food Court and free yoga classes on Wednesday, with giveaways of yoga mats, water bottles and jump ropes and a free "healthy choices" tasting event at the Silver Diner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Friday, there will be a 1K airport Fun Walk with a drawing for a Fitbit.

Fit2Fly events at Pittsburgh International Airport this week include complimentary foot massages at the Massage Bar on Concourse A on Tuesday and Thursday, free yoga lessons and giveaways on Wednesday and, on Friday, a sampling event for Pinkberry's kale and strawberry smoothies.

At Cleveland Hopkins International Airport there will be free 3- to 5-minute chair massages on Tuesday and Thursday and, on Friday, free tea tasting and complimentary healthy snacks.

Southwest hosts concert at 35,000 feet

A ticket for Southwest Airlines' inaugural non-stop flight from Dallas Love Field to Memphis on Tuesday didn't just guarantee a seat; it also provided admission to a live concert in the air.

"Today we have the Black Cadillacs on board with us flying from Dallas to Memphis," Southwest's Michelle Agnew announced to passengers.

Once the seat belt sign was turned off, band members took their positions by the jet's front door.

Southwest had an indie rock band called the Black Cadillacs inaugurate its new non-stop service. They played two songs (both acoustic) for a sold-out audience of 143.

The airline calls this "Live at 35" (for 35,000 feet), and this isn't the first time.

Better Than Ezra performed on one flight. Southwest hosted a fashion show with models using the center aisle for a runway.

And remember that wedding last fall? Two frequent fliers got hitched somewhere over Arkansas.

"We see this continuing," Agnew said. "Our customers love it. Our fans love it. On social, they ask for their favorite bands to perform on a flight."

This isn't just a marketing gimmick; Southwest puts a lot of thought into it. This is strategic messaging that reinforces its brand.

"It is the future of advertising," said Steven Edwards of SMU's Temerlin Advertising Institute. He said these in-flight performances are all about social media, hoping passengers snap pictures, shoot video and share their experience.

"Advertising is completely going this way, because when you hear about brands from the customer, it's much more valuable than Southwest talking about themselves," Edwards said.

So, Southwest just provides the stage (and a tight one at that) predicting that passengers will create buzz and reach customers that traditional advertising might not.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Exploring Potential Sale, Acquisition

In the wake of former CEO Frits van Paasschen's departure earlier this year and a decline in first-quarter earnings, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide is exploring strategic alternatives that could potentially lead to the company's sale, according to a source close to the situation via the Wall Street Journal.

The company has hired investment bank Lazard to "explore a full range of strategic and financial alternatives to increase shareholder value."

In addition to a sale of the entire company, options could include an acquisition or a sale of select Starwood properties.

Starwood chairman Bruce Duncan told the WSJ that "no option is off the table, and we will take the time we need to thoroughly evaluate our opportunities and achieve the best result for our shareholders, business partners, and associates."

First-quarter profit fell from $137 million in 2014 to $99 billion this year, dropping from 72 cents per share to 58 cents per share. The company cited restructuring charges as the primary reason for the decline.

Despite a 2.3 percent increase in international occupancy at Starwood properties, revenue dipped nearly three percent to just over $1.4 billion.

According to Fortune.com, Starwood has recently begun the transition into a "asset-light" strategy, selling $1.5 billion worth of property within the past two years.

The Stamford, Connecticut-based hospitality company owns and operates well over 1,000 properties under a handful of brands, including Westin, Sheraton and St. Regis, among others.

Adam Aron is currently serving as the company's interim CEO.

Ranger Tases Man Operating Drone at Hawaii National Park

With drones steadily making their way into the mainstream and the emergence of activities like drone selfies, regulation has become a challenging proposition.

That was evidenced when a park ranger tased a man who was illegally operating a drone at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island on Sunday night, according to the Associated Press.

A rising lava lake at Kilauea volcano's summit has drawn crowds visitors of late, many looking to take photos and film the scene. But while drones are capable of capturing spectacular shots from an assortment of different angles, they are banned by the National Park Service because of noise and safety concerns.

The man who was tased over the weekend, identified as 35-year-old Travis Sanders, eventually landed the drone after multiple demands made by the ranger, but was hit with a stun gun after attempting to flee the scene in an area not far from a 500-foot drop.

Park spokeswoman Jessica Ferracane told the AP that "the ranger identified himself and approached the individual, who refused to identify himself. He was described as being very unpredictable, belligerent," she added.

"The ranger felt he needed to be stopped for the safety of himself and others."

However Sanders defended his actions to Hawaii News Now.

"A guy approached me in the dark and said, 'Bring it down!' and he was very angry. I had no idea he was a ranger. He sounded very angry, confrontational," said Sanders of the ranger, "like he wanted to fight — and I didn't really want to stick around for it so I just told him, 'I don't have ID and I'm leaving.'"

After being tased, handcuffed, and examined by paramedics, Sanders was transported to a Hawaii County police cellblock and released on Monday on $500 bond.

It remains to be seen what punishment Sanders will face, but the maximum penalty for flying a drone in national park airspace is six months in jail accompanied by a hefty $5,000 fine.

Sanders' court date is scheduled for July 22.

Walt Disney World Resort Brings Back Free Dining Offer

Travelers eyeing a trip to the world's most popular vacation resort later this year just got additional incentive.

Walt Disney World Resort has announced the return of its free dining plan offer for select vacation packages this upcoming fall and winter.

According to a post earlier this week on the Disney Parks Blog, guests who "purchase a non-discounted six-night, seven-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and tickets with Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More option" are eligible to receive the offer.

Keep in mind that bookings must be made by July 10, 2015 and the offer is only valid for guests arriving between August 28-October 2; October 25-31; November 8-19 or December 15-21, 2015.

The free Disney dining plan, which is accepted at more than 100 restaurants throughout Walt Disney World Resort, is available for guests who book vacation packages at select moderate, deluxe and deluxe villa resort hotels.

Qualifying moderate resort hotels include The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs Resort and Port Orleans Resort – Riverside. However, the latter is only eligible for arrivals between August 28 and October 2, 2015.

Meanwhile, eight deluxe resort hotels qualify for the offer, including Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club Resort and BoardWalk Inn.

The qualifying deluxe villa resort hotels include Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village, Beach Club Villas, BoardWalk Villas, Old Key West Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

Guests can also capitalize on the Disney quick-service dining plan, which is offered with vacation packages at Disney's value resorts and includes items at more than 50 resort locations.

Universal Studios Hollywood Launches Campaign to Promote 'Fast & Furious' Ride

The "Road to Fast" is paved and ready to go.

With less than two months remaining before the opening of Universal Studios Hollywood's "Fast & Furious — Supercharged" thrill ride, the theme park has announced the launch of a campaign to help generate buzz ahead of the June 25 debut.

Beloved characters of the "Fast & Furious" franchise played by Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, and Luke Evans will star in the ride.

To gear up for this summer's opening, the Road to Fast campaign features a handful of poster images (like te one below via Universal Studios Hollywood) featuring the Studio Tour tram and each of the ride's characters as well as a behind-the-scenes video into the making of Fast & Furious — Supercharged.

Upon opening, the ride will signal the grand finale at Universal Studios Hollywood's behind-the-scenes Studio Tour.

Relying on special effects, 3D audio and imagery and a 400-foot-long 360-degree screen, the hydraulic motion-based ride is designed to immerse guests in a new tale told through familiar characters.

"This is new territory for us ... to create something as immortal and immersive as this ... that all the fans of our franchise can actually live through and be a part of," said Diesel, who plays Dominic Toretto. "It's a testament to that loyal and dedicated fan community that has always been our No. 1 champion."

"Once you go on the ride, it's an opportunity to physically feel some of the adrenaline that we feel everyday while we're filming," added Diesel. "Yeah, I'm excited to ride it!"

"You're completely immersed in the experience ... you're on a high-speed chase ... it's an amazing experience, and the guys that build these are true magicians," said Evans, who plays bad guy Owen Shaw in the previous two installments of the series.

The campaign comes just weeks after the opening of the franchise's most recent installment, "Furious 7," which has grossed more than $321 million domestically since its April 3 release.

Hotels.com Reports 80 Percent Jump in Mobile Bookings in 2014

Mobile bookings are skyrocketing, according to the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index.

The latest data from the HPI showed that more than one in four transactions on Hotels.com are being booked via the mobile device. Overall, bookings increased by more than 80 percent on the site in 2014, compared to 2013.

Naturally, mobile devices are so popular with travelers because they allow adventurers to book and make changes to their itinerary on the go. According to the HPI, 50 percent of travelers booked hotels either on the day of their departure or the day before their departure in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Hotels.com is hearing travelers in this respect. The online travel agency (OTA)—along with a host of other travel companies—recently announced an Apple Watch-compatible app to take advantage of the craze for the mobile-friendly wearable. With the app, users can find nearby hotel deals, view upcoming reservations, locate their hotel via GPS and more.

But which destinations are the most popular among mobile users?

In 2014, the top five domestic destinations were (in order): Las Vegas (an average rate of $104 for mobile users), Orlando ($94), New York City ($243), Los Angeles ($151) and San Diego ($133).

The top international destinations were London ($265), Cancun/Riviera Maya ($242), Toronto ($147), Paris ($245) and Vancouver ($167).

For those budget-conscious travelers looking to journey through Asia, Hotels.com points out wallet-friendly destinations such as Phnom Penh, Cambodia ($58 average rate); Hanoi, Vietnam ($59); Chiang Mai, Thailand ($67); Siem Reap, Cambodia ($71); and Pattaya, Thailand ($71).

With such an uptick in mobile bookings, more and more companies are investing in accommodating the mobile-friendly traveler, while also taking more time to understand the complexities of mobile marketing. Hotels.com-affiliated apps have now been downloaded more than 40 million times since its launch.

Actor lashes out at Gatwick for frisking three-month old son

Actor Chris O'Dowd sent a sarcastic tweet about Gatwick Airport after his three-month-old child was frisked while passing through security.

The 35-year old Bridesmaids star also said his son's bottle had been confiscated.

In a tweet to his 630,000 followers, he wrote: "Thanks Gatwick security! Some might think body-searching a baby and binning his bottle was over zealous and weird, but not me!', ending '#ScaryBaby'."

A spokesman for Gatwick Airport said: "All passengers are subject to the normal security screening processes at the airport.  When young babies come through security we ask parents to carry them.   If the scanning equipment picks up something, we have to check both the parent and the baby.  We always try to handle these searches sensitively.

"The restrictions around liquids are government requirements, and passengers are advised that when travelling with a baby, they are allowed to take enough baby food, baby milk and sterilised water for the journey.  In some cases this will be over 100ml."

Twitter followers showed their support with one writing: "At least they didn't make you drink his formula to prove it wasn't explosive. Heathrow did that to me."

Earlier this month actress Alyssa Milano blasted Heathrow Airport on Twitter after bottles of her breast milk were confiscated by security.

The 42-year-old actress landed in London when she was told she would not be permitted to leave the airport with the 10 ounces of milk she had just pumped on board her flight, reports the Daily Mail.

Spirit Airlines' profits jump 83 percent in first quarter

Spirit Airlines posted a higher profit in the first quarter despite increased competition in some of its key markets such as Dallas, the carrier reported Wednesday.

Net income for the Miramar-based low-cost carrier rose 83 percent to $69 million, or 94 cents per share, compared with $37.7 million, or 51 cents, in the same period in 2014.

Spirit's total operating revenue jumped 12.6 percent to $493.4 million, up from $438 million a year ago.

The higher revenue was driven by an increase in flight volume, Spirit said. Revenue from passengers' tickets rose 7.7 percent during the period, while non-ticket revenue jumped 19.4 percent.

"Our consistent, reliable operational performance, solid track record in successfully launching new markets and our continued focus to improve our financial performance through lowering our cost structure, positions us well for the year ahead," Spirit President and CEO Ben Baldanza said in an earnings call.

Spirit's non-ticket revenue is derived from the extra fees fliers pay for checked luggage, large carry-on bags, itinerary changes, advance seat assigments and other travel-related services.

"Non-ticket remains a very important part of our business strategy, and we have several initiatives planned for the back half of the year designed to either drive more revenue or change [customer] behavior to lower our cost structure," Baldanza told analysts.

Spirit launched nine nonstop routes in the quarter and took delivery of five Airbus A320 aircraft, bringing its fleet total to 70 aircraft at the end of March. The carrier also was named 2015 Value Airline of the Year by industry publication Air Transport World.

Looking ahead, Baldanza said, "We feel really good about the rest of the year."

The carrier plans to launch 24 routes in the second quarter, he said.

Spirit is the second-busiest airline at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport with 17.9 percent of passenger traffic this year through February, airport data show. It's also where Spirit has its largest concentration of flights.

"We couldn't be happier with Fort Lauderdale right now and as they clean up the airport, meaning get the [terminal] construction done, that will create opportunity for more growth here for us," Baldanza said. "Fort Lauderdale is going great."

Spirit shares fell 9.27 percent to $70.66 in Nasdaq trading Wednesday.

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale sold for $48.1 million

The Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel has been sold for $48.1 million, according to property deeds filed in Broward County.

The seller of the 236-room hotel at 1617 S.E. 17th St. was RFL MTGL8 LLC, which has offices in Palm Beach Gardens.

The hotel's new owner is NF III Ft. Lauderdale LLC, which is affiliated with Noble Hospitality Fund III REIT LLC based in Atlanta, according to county property records.

In a press release announcing the Renaissance purchase, parent company Noble Investment Group said the hotel will undergo a number of enhancements.

"The Fort Lauderdale market continues to experience robust economic growth which we believe the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port is uniquely situated to capitalize on," Noble principal, Ben Brunt said.

The Renaissance, near Port Everglades, is among a handful of hotel and motel sales in Broward this year.

Earlier this month, the 50-room Sunrise Inn & Apartments at 4041 N. Ocean Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale changed ownership in a $4.97 million sale.

In Hollywood, the 11-room Angelfish Inn at 342 Buchanan St. and 22-unit Stardust Motel & Apartments at 915 N. Ocean Drive also were sold this year in a $9 million transaction, property records show.

FAA Temporarily Denied Germanwings Co-Pilot a License in 2010

The 28-year-old German co-pilot who intentionally flew a Germanwings jet into the French Alps last month had been temporarily denied an American pilot's license in 2010 based on his "history of reactive depression," The Wall Street Journal reports.

Recently released documents by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration show that between January and October 2009, Andreas Lubitz received psychotherapy and was prescribed at least two anti-depressants, Cipralex and mirtazapine.

During that time, according to The New York Times, Lubitz was on leave from Lufthansa's pilot-training school, part of which takes place outside Phoenix. Lufthansa owns Germanwings, a discount airline.

In order to participate in the training in Arizona, Lubitz needed a student pilot's license and a valid medical certificate from a flight doctor.

Citing Lubitz's history of reactive depression, the FAA on July 8, 2010, notified the German pilot in a letter that his application was being denied. The agency asked him to submit an updated report from his prescribing physician, the Journal reports.

Lubitz's doctor wrote two letters – one to Lubitz, the other to an airline medical examiner, according to CNN – showing Lubitz had successfully completed treatment.

The letter to the airline official states "considerable remission has been obtained" and "medication has been tapered," and described Lubitz as "mentally stable" and "without memory disorders and phobias," CNN reported.

Some three weeks later, the FAA granted Lubitz a medical certificate with a caveat that he would be prohibited from operating an aircraft "at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur or any time medication and/or treatment is required."

In February 2010, a German doctor had cleared Lubitz to fly, noting his "high motivation and active participation contributed to the successful completion of the treatment, after the management of symptoms," according to a letter.

The doctor's name was redacted in a copy of the letter released to news organizations in response to Freedom of Information Act requests.

According to the Times, Lubitz had a clean bill of health when he was accepted into Lufthansa's "highly selective flight academy" in 2008.

Within six months he had suffered an episode of "reactive depression" — a disorder "triggered by stressful or traumatic events," which reportedly occurred when he moved to Lufthansa's flight school campus in Bremen, Germany from his parents' home in the small town of Montabaur, according to the Times.

He underwent psychotherapy and began taking antidepressants in 2009, though by July of that year his medication had been "tapered."

Jacqueline Brunetti, a medical examiner for commercial pilots, told CNN that reactive depression can resolve itself when the individual recovers from an overwhelming event.

"The use of two drugs would suggest that maybe a single drug was not sufficiently effective," she added, noting that "pairing anti-depressants could indicate an inability to cope with either day to day work and/or home demands."

During a March 24 flight from Spain to Germany, Lubitz locked the captain out of the cockpit and deliberately steered the Airbus A320-200 into the mountainside, killing all 150 people on board.

Volusia hotel occupancy, room rates rise

DAYTONA BEACH — Hotel occupancy and average daily room rates in Volusia County rose in March, according to a new report.

A survey conducted by Daytona Beach-based Mid-Florida Marketing & Research of area hotels found that occupancy increased last month to 80 percent from 76 percent the same month a year ago.

The average daily room rate for hotels in the county rose to $141.75, up 15 percent from $126.12 in March 2014.

The report attributes the boost in part to Bike Week, the 10-day motorcycle rally in the Daytona Beach area March 6-15 that drew motorcycle enthusiasts from throughout the country.

Mid-Florida Marketing conducts monthly surveys of local hotels for the Hotel & Lodging Association of Volusia County and the county’s three tourism advertising authorities, which use tourism bed-tax revenues from hotel stays and other short-term vacation rentals to promote their respective areas as destinations for tourists and special events.