Map Africa's Resources

t!b!

Oct 28, 2010, 1:40:10 AM10/28/10
to Watu Afrika
This discussion is about a project to map Africa's resources.
The page associated with this discussion is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/watuafrika/HOME/the-project/map-africas-resources

t!b!

Nov 2, 2010, 12:01:52 PM11/2/10
to Watu Afrika
I will create a database where we can keep all these documents and
share it with you and with the rest of the group.

t!b!

Nov 2, 2010, 12:03:02 PM11/2/10
to Watu Afrika
It is important at this stage to find a permanent home for the wiki,
as soon as possible. A University is, in my opinion, the best place.
It's public, the project can be founded through different grants,
students can be assigned to develop it, Universities already possess
this knowledge (what and where about resources), they also possess
analytical power, the project will easily spread throughout the
academia if it is an academic project from the start, etc.

Kate is engaging her University, and from this attempt some concrete
discussions might arise.

Ian's thoughts on this are:
"From an academic perspective, the finest universities in my opinion
would be the traditionally white liberal institutions (Wits, Cape Town
and Rhodes). I have good connections at Rhodes.
However these are traditionally 'white' institutions which might
offend some sensitivities.
The University of Fort Hare was very much the cradle of academic
learning for black people in Sub-Saharan Africa. It has a long
association with the freedom struggle, and at one point in time (as I
remember) 9 or 10 of the continent's national leaders were alumni of
the institution. I have connections at the university that I could tap
into.
Another option would be the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
(the symbolism of the name alone makes it worth consideration) ...
again I have good contacts but the university has some political
'skeletons in the cupboard' from the perspective that it has
historical connections to the Apartheid regime."

I personally don't know the academia in Africa, but I can build
support in the west, or help create with the west.

On Oct 28, 1:40 am, "t!b!" <tiberius.brastavice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is about a project to map Africa's resources.
> The page associated with this discussion is here:https://sites.google.com/site/watuafrika/HOME/the-project/map-africas...

t!b!

Nov 2, 2010, 12:55:19 PM11/2/10
to Watu Afrika
A shared folder was created to contain important information about
Africa's Resources.
https://docs.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/folder.0.0B4-LCZPDBJrmOTNkYzE4YWQtY2I5ZS00ZmY1LWJiZjctZjk0OTIwYmVmYTY5
This folder is public for view, but private for edit. Only invited
members can add and delete information from it.

t!b!

Nov 2, 2010, 1:21:37 PM11/2/10
to Watu Afrika
A link to the Database shared folder for Africa's Resources was
created on the Map Africa's Resources page here

On Nov 2, 12:55 pm, "t!b!" <tiberius.brastavice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A shared folder was created to contain important information about
> Africa's Resources.https://docs.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#folders/folder.0.0B4-LCZPD...

Lourens van Niekerk

Nov 3, 2010, 4:48:56 PM11/3/10
to Watu Afrika
OK, it seems that Kate and Ian are well positioned to find a host for
our wiki with an SA university - let's get feedback asap, then we can
look at other alternatives if the uni's aren't keen

On Oct 28, 1:40 am, "t!b!" <tiberius.brastavice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is about a project to map Africa's resources.
> The page associated with this discussion is here:https://sites.google.com/site/watuafrika/HOME/the-project/map-africas...

t!b!

Dec 6, 2010, 12:54:28 PM12/6/10
to Watu Afrika
Here's a model for Map Africa's Resources sub-project http://wikimapia.org
We can create the same type of open project concentrating on Africa.
The idea is to map ALL Africa's resources. This tool will help locals
to find ways to put their resources together to add value, and to find
creative ways to distribute their products locally and
internationally.

Please visit http://wikimapia.org to get a feel of this powerful
concept.

On Nov 3, 3:48 pm, Lourens van Niekerk <lourensvannieke...@gmail.com>