EGU2024 HS7.4: Future hydroclimatic scenarios in a changing world

Theano Iliopoulou

Nov 28, 2023, 10:51:49 PM11/28/23
to Water Resources
Dear Colleague,

We would like to invite you to consider our PICO session “Future hydroclimatic scenarios in a changing world (co-sponsored by IAHS, WMO, the National Recovery Resilience Plan RETURN Foundation of Italy)” for your EGU 2024 Abstract submission.

The general abstract submission deadline is 10 January 2024, 13:00 CET, but for those applying for travel support the deadline is 1 December 2023, 13:00 CET.

You can view the session description in the email below or via the link:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU24/session/48227

We are looking forward to your abstracts, and seeing you in Vienna and online!

With best regards,

Theano Iliopoulou

On behalf of co-conveners

Serena Ceola, Christophe Cudennec, Harry Lins, Alberto Montanari

Session description:

Scientists are facing several challenges when applying climate models for hydrological variables. Indeed, a gap exists between what is provided by climate scenarios and what is needed and useful for technical hydrological studies. In order to reduce this gap and enhance the assessment of climate change impacts, we need to improve our understanding, knowledge and model representations of the interactions between climate drivers and hydrological processes at regional and local scales. This is essential to outline forecasts and assess the risk associated with extreme events, where uncertainty, probabilistic approaches ad prediction scenarios should be properly defined.

This session particularly welcomes, but is not limited to, contributions on:
- Advanced techniques to simulate and predict hydrological processes and water resources, with emphasis on stochastic and hybrid methods.
- Advanced techniques to simulate and predict hydroclimatic extreme events including compound extreme events (e.g. heatwaves, floods and droughts).
- Holistic approaches to generate future water resources scenarios integrating also anthropogenic and environmental perspectives.
- Hydroclimatic change attribution studies using probabilistic approaches and novel causality frameworks with uncertainty assessment.
- Evaluation of climate models performance at regional and local scales using observational data

This session is supported by the International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS), the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the National Recovery Resilience Plan RETURN Foundation of Italy, and it is also related to the scientific decade 2023–2032 of IAHS, “HELPING”.

Theano (Any) Iliopoulou
Department of Water Resources & Environmental Engineering
National Technical University of Athens
Heroon Polytechneiou 5, Zographou, 15780